Carryover between Power Cleans & Kettlebell Swings

Discussion in 'Other' started by Waffles03, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:27 PM.

1. Waffles03

Waffles03 Double-Digit Post Count

Hi, is there a carryover between the power cleans and kettlebell swings since both exercises are somewhat similar in movement? I'm also curious if you can replace kettlebell swings with power cleans and still reap the benefits for developing hip explosion. Thank you.

2. manuelp22

manuelp22 Double-Digit Post Count

Are you looking to enhance your sport's performance?
    If so, what sport are you doing?

What did you personally feel after working with both exercises?

3. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Forum Administrator Staff Member Senior Instructor

The kettlebell clean is a swing, and a swing is a horizontal movement. A barbell clean is focused on the vertical.

-S-

Waffles03 likes this.
  4. ShawnM

ShawnM Strong, Powerful Member of the Forum

A lot of strength coaches are using the swing to develop the hinge pattern for the bar bell clean. Chris Holder has been doing this for years.

5. Waffles03

Waffles03 Double-Digit Post Count

Yes, for boxing. I notice an improvement with my punches when I started performing two handed kettlebell swings and I'm wondering if the power cleans would have some benefit over the kettlebell swings for boxing.

I prefer the kettlebell swing, however I haven't master the power cleans and I'm not sure if my opinion would change once I refined more of my technique on the power clean.

6. manuelp22

manuelp22 Double-Digit Post Count

You most probably already know about Ross Enamait, but just in case I'll link one of his recommended exercises for your goal. Albeit unrelated to Swings or Power Cleans.

Sergej likes this.
  7. Kettlebelephant

Kettlebelephant Strong, Powerful Member of the Forum

@Waffles03 Power cleans are great. I've seen them being performed by NFL players, ski jumpers, decathletes and soccer players, just to name a few.
    Probably the best exercise to develop power for non-Oly lifters, because while full cleans and snatches might be a bit better, they are also a lot harder to learn.
    IMO it's not an either or choice. Do both.
    Swings in the ~10 reps area and heavy PCs for singles, doubles or triples. You'll get the best of both worlds.

ShawnM, Waffles03 and Ryan Cranfill like this.
  8. Oscar

Oscar Strong Member of the Forum

Steve Freides and Waffles03 like this.