all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Cast Iron vs Comp bells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Cattleballs

Level 2 Valued Member
I am currently looking to purchase a pair of 40kg kettlebells and was wondering what opinions were on cast iron vs competition style bells at this weight.

The heaviest pair I own at the moment is 32kg. I have not seen a 40kg but have heard that the size of them makes them a bit unwieldy - especially in the squat. One argument I have heard for competition bells is that it makes using heavier bells in the future easier due to the same dimensions. Without sounding pessimistic I doubt I will need heavier bells in the near future so this doesn't apply greatly.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

My take on it has always been like so:

In real life, no opponent or obstacle is always going to be the same, whether its in size, weight, or shape. So the fact that the shapes and sizes of cast iron bells are all different is actually advantageous, as it makes us have to be adaptable, and life is all about being able to adapt to various situations.

Plus the handles are thicker, which makes your grip stronger.

Also, the comp bell handle is not wide enough to be able to properly grip it for 2 hand swings.

We have both and use both styles at our facility. At 40kg my presses and snatches feel better with a comp bell than a cast iron, but for one arm swings the handle of the comp bell is almost "too small" in diameter, and so I prefer the thicker handle of the cast iron bell. For two-handed swings, most people prefer cast iron because the handles are typically a little wider and easier to get more fingers in. If you are doing much from a "goblet" position like squats or pistols, the handle on the cast iron will allow you a better grip compared to the comp bell.

So, in my opinion it depends on what you plan on doing with it. Presses and snatches I prefer the competition style; swings, goblet squats and pistols I prefer the cast iron.

The reason I went with cast iron was indeed the fact the handle is wide enough for 2h swings. This is hardly the case with competition bells

Thanks a lot for the responses. I don't do many 2 hand swings, most common exercises are double: swings, cleans, squats, jerks, presses. Leaning towards cast iron after what tony said about the grip on swings and squats.

I realy like my comp bells, but I've never done a full workout with cast bells so I'm bias.

I have both....
I find the comp bells I use (Wolverson) are a better fit for me as I have a damage wrist from past sports. When I do Get Ups the the bell lands on my forearm, rather then directly on my wrist like the cast iron ones. So for me comp all the way.

I have both....
I find the comp bells I use (Wolverson) are a better fit for me as I have a damage wrist from past sports. When I do Get Ups the the bell lands on my forearm, rather then directly on my wrist like the cast iron ones. So for me comp all the way.

Do you have the Wolverson GSU bells? The newly designed ones with a bit of a hollow inside? They look awesome

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom