all posts post new thread

Cause&Effect 2018

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Week 20 of 2018

Mon. 05/14
run 44:00 min - 6,67km, 9,1km/h - 140/144 - index 50
snatch 48kg - 3rx14 - 21:00min - 115/138

Thu. 05/17
run 6:00min - 10,17km/h - 138/144 - 58

Fr 05/18
snatch 48kg - 3rx24 - 32:00min - 112/129
row 10km - 43:50min - 124/134

Sat 05/19
snatch 48kg - 3rx10 - 26:30min - 109/133
run 39:00min - 6,72km, 10,3km/h - 137/143 - 57

Sun. 05/20
run 45:00min - 7,1km, 9,5km/h - 140/147 - 50

GTG deadlifting 150kg, presses with 32, heavy get ups with 56kg or 60kg for strength work and standing abwheel rollouts. First time this week I was over 10km/h for MAF runs. Also had a PR of 2 reps with KB Front Squat 2x48kg. And I began digging into 48kg snatches for A+A work.

Harald, how you decide how many sets/ reps of snatching?

Your training this week shows the cumulative effects of years of patient practice. Awesome!
Thanks Rich.

Harald, how you decide how many sets/ reps of snatching?

for Power repeats aiming up to five reps is a good rule of thumb. And it depends on the weight of course. With 40kg I go with five.

With 44+ I find 3 reps really nice, as you can see in my heart rate graphs my heart rates go around 130bpm barely up to 140bpm. I like to stay a bit into the lockout especially on the first rep to gather myself to be getting a strong next one. A rep or two less makes a huge difference on recovery and heart rates comparing 3reps to 5 reps is 40% less reps per set. Additionally less reps per set one can have more opportunities to focus on the set up, which is so important to do it anytime with each and every set on every exercise, this is a never ending process.

I think a nice scheme is to shoot for for example 60 - 120 - 80 reps in a week. Waving the volume a bit. Snatching every other day can be done, snatching five days a week (two consecutive days) can get harsh for the hands and recovery as it can be seen in the heart rates. As with all, building up to it just accumulating some volume over the weeks and see how you feel and adapt.

week 21 of 2018

Mon. 05/21
snatch 48kg - 34:00min - 3rx20 - 112/131

Wed. 05/23
snatch 48kg - 20:30min - 3rx14 - 109/127
run 88min - 12,69km, 8,7km/h - 132/137 - index 54

Thu. 05/24
row 10km - 44:25 - 125/133

Fri. 05/25
snatch 40kg - 30:30min - 5rx20 - 118/134

Sun. 05/27
run 65min - 10,26km, 9,5km/h - 135/143 - index 59

still deadlifting 150kg almost daily 1 - 4 reps and standing abwheel rollouts. I am into bent pressing 32kg mostly sometimes 40kg. Want to practice this lift for the next....weeks, months.

Last edited:
How do you sequence the deadlifting with the other work?
I keep it currently "just" as skill work. I am looking for a solid wedge then pull a single or double, next set can be up to four reps. No planning or programming. Sometimes I pull shortly after I am out of bed after a coffee, sometimes maybe before a run it can be before the snatches... I just like to step to the bar set myself up to be getting a wedge and pull. It is very easy strength style, but in the weeks I am into it by now I stay at the 150kg. I think easy strength or daily dose deadlifts can be standalone or can be mixed within reason with other work. As you know what I do, you also is to "just" focus on hardly a handful of lifts without thinking about doing and wanting to implement too many things like accessory lifts or try to "balancing out".

Missing your log @Harald Motz . Hope you’re well!
oh yes, it's been a while I updated my log. I was very well physically, psychologically not so much, but I think I am coming slowly out of that damn hole called depression. A kind of lifelong thing, like training. Training can be twofold for me: remedy and a rabbit hole.

My training went well. In June I was on my first ZEN sesshin for six days. In the ZEN monastery "Eisenbuch" established by Nakagawa Roshi, a Japanese ZEN master of the Soto school. 9 periods of zazen sitting meditation: shikantaza meaning sitting without intention facing the wall. Each zazen lasts 45min, then 15min kinhin (very slow walking meditation) then another zazen of 45min. Otherwise a bit of working meditation called samu, three very good vegetarian meals, with the first meal in the zendo on the zafu (meditation cushion). The six days where apart from the dharma lecture and ceremony held in silence, mostly.

Zazen in itself is just sitting with posture. easier said than done. There will be times, it gets really uncomfortable on the soft cushion, or tiredness can affect one. Everyone has its own special uncomfortable zones. I was well most of the times, but sometimes my legs burned like fire, the upper body was cool, a real contrast. And when its time to get up from the cushion, it takes a few seconds, and everything is relieved. I got through all sittings. I never questioned, what I am doing (not doing) here. I had my 32kg with me and did in some spare times some swings goblets and bent presses to be ready to sit through another sitting.

Zazen I practice for around eight years now, read a few books from the Soto school then and practiced some periods quite regularly, then not, and so on. A sesshin I would like to attend another time. It is quite a quite mindful and mind babbling experience. So far I am doing Zazen every day for 45 min.

I was on SFG1 in Italy in July with Brett Jones and Fabio Zonin, who were the Masters at my very first SFG 2,5 years ago in England. It was great education with a great emphasis to the teaching skills of the students. It showed me really how great the kettlebell is and "just" the basics are. It is great what SF teaches and how it is taught. Extraordinary.

My practice world looks kind of this:

- my bar is loaded with 170kg I deadlift it on most days currently mostly doubles. It can be 3 - 10 doubles a day, on most days.
- Oh yes, the snatch. Of course. I can't believe that I am still one arm snatching for repeats and I really discovered my golden beast for that. Especially the last week made me confident, to ebb and flow the volume with this over time
- I am into the bent press for over three months now. I worked to the point, where I can use my golden beast on both sides quite comfortably to ebb and flow and to accumulate volume over time. So far I feel that this is a great addition to the snatch and a terrific lift with to many benefits which I should not ignore
- from time to time a bit of two hands anyhow to lift my bodyweight or more over my head is very nice
- sometimes a few goblet squats can not hurt
- aerobic locomotion, be it running or rowing 30-45 min on most days
- zazen

that's it, its enough and I want to interweave this stuff in and out together without any plan or aim, without intention… like zazen. I just want to stick to these basics for the next...I will see. It led me to some decent results in the past, and it will in the future. I see it as constant base work, not more not less.

awesome! How many days a week are you snatching?
with "peer week" I am quite flexible. In the past around the thumb I may average 3 A+A sessions. Sometimes I may get only one session per week, sometimes 4 or even five.

With the 40k in March I did 20 5r x 20 sessions in a row. No waving there. Why I did it? probably just for the sake of it, as I did moons ago the simple standard for around four weeks straight as it was my interpretation of owning it. It must not always make sense of what I am doing, at least to me, although it has effects that I may not aware of thoroughly.

For a general A+A approach I would say around 3 days a week give or take a day, waving around 100 total reps give or take up to 50, 3-5 reps per repeat paired with a bit of aerobic locomotion around 3 times a week, give or take some around 45min also give or take some quarters of an hour at a pace you really feel relaxed - for me it is mostly 5-15 bpm less than MAF. All this package just periodized by life itself. This done consistently for weeks, months, years should yield some results as the bell used will show or hr readings reflect that. A+A is programming without a program, in essence simple reasonable guidelines.

oh yes, it's been a while I updated my log. I was very well physically, psychologically not so much, but I think I am coming slowly out of that damn hole called depression. A kind of lifelong thing, like training. Training can be twofold for me: remedy and a rabbit hole.

My training went well. In June I was on my first ZEN sesshin for six days. In the ZEN monastery "Eisenbuch" established by Nakagawa Roshi, a Japanese ZEN master of the Soto school. 9 periods of zazen sitting meditation: shikantaza meaning sitting without intention facing the wall. Each zazen lasts 45min, then 15min kinhin (very slow walking meditation) then another zazen of 45min. Otherwise a bit of working meditation called samu, three very good vegetarian meals, with the first meal in the zendo on the zafu (meditation cushion). The six days where apart from the dharma lecture and ceremony held in silence, mostly.

Zazen in itself is just sitting with posture. easier said than done. There will be times, it gets really uncomfortable on the soft cushion, or tiredness can affect one. Everyone has its own special uncomfortable zones. I was well most of the times, but sometimes my legs burned like fire, the upper body was cool, a real contrast. And when its time to get up from the cushion, it takes a few seconds, and everything is relieved. I got through all sittings. I never questioned, what I am doing (not doing) here. I had my 32kg with me and did in some spare times some swings goblets and bent presses to be ready to sit through another sitting.

Zazen I practice for around eight years now, read a few books from the Soto school then and practiced some periods quite regularly, then not, and so on. A sesshin I would like to attend another time. It is quite a quite mindful and mind babbling experience. So far I am doing Zazen every day for 45 min.

I was on SFG1 in Italy in July with Brett Jones and Fabio Zonin, who were the Masters at my very first SFG 2,5 years ago in England. It was great education with a great emphasis to the teaching skills of the students. It showed me really how great the kettlebell is and "just" the basics are. It is great what SF teaches and how it is taught. Extraordinary.

My practice world looks kind of this:

- my bar is loaded with 170kg I deadlift it on most days currently mostly doubles. It can be 3 - 10 doubles a day, on most days.
- Oh yes, the snatch. Of course. I can't believe that I am still one arm snatching for repeats and I really discovered my golden beast for that. Especially the last week made me confident, to ebb and flow the volume with this over time
- I am into the bent press for over three months now. I worked to the point, where I can use my golden beast on both sides quite comfortably to ebb and flow and to accumulate volume over time. So far I feel that this is a great addition to the snatch and a terrific lift with to many benefits which I should not ignore
- from time to time a bit of two hands anyhow to lift my bodyweight or more over my head is very nice
- sometimes a few goblet squats can not hurt
- aerobic locomotion, be it running or rowing 30-45 min on most days
- zazen

that's it, its enough and I want to interweave this stuff in and out together without any plan or aim, without intention… like zazen. I just want to stick to these basics for the next...I will see. It led me to some decent results in the past, and it will in the future. I see it as constant base work, not more not less.

Great work on the Sesshin...

Great work on the Sesshin...
all you need for that is to put a lazy a$$ on a nice, comfortable cushion.
What appealed me to Soto Zen is the emphasis of the practice of zazen, sitting without intention with the body. For what is it good for? Some Masters say good for nothing. When one starts to aim for something the whole machinery of illusionary imagining machinery of the clever mind starts and goes through the roof, attachment to the thoughts and ones own theories on and on. Zazen is good for nothing, but may has effects when practiced consistently and these may not be bad.

the bent press, a lift I fell in love with for the last three months:

really great do some reps with a bell one is comfortable with, in a means to find a groove. This is a lift best practiced with ample of rest in between repeats. That is the perfect lift to be getting subtle, mobile, getting stretched and not the least strong. The tension it can provide is phenomenal and one can really build muscle with it with just because of this crazy tension and an active negative. My feeling so far is that it is great addition to the snatch. The shoulders seem to like it, I think to a great deal to all the thoracic extension work from the snatch and the thoracic rotation work from the bent. Both lifts work the two big muscles around the shoulders thoroughly: the lat and the trap. Definitely I will stay with this lift for….hopefully long.

From yesterday it was my very second attempt of the bent press on my right side. To combine a bent press with a get up is kind of a long cycle. I had to catch my breath.

bent press is king of grind, snatch is tsar of power: may they rule their realms happily next to each other.

SE.png

as time goes by…

end of September I attended the StrongEndurance seminar with Pavel in Italy. I looked forward to it, as I am about since three years into A+A training and keep on reaping benefits.

The seminar in its content and to train accordingly while working "simple" applicable guidelines is outstanding. In addition the manual contains many well defined and delivering (Interval) protocols which can be topped of on a base of A+A repeats. I was really happy, that I was already doing my base work for the last three years. The seminar just confirmed me to just keeping on going the path of endurance and strength and doing most of my training time base work with repeatable repeats.

alactic bursts and aerobic recovery training
rowing 120min - 26,3km.PNG rowing 120min 26,6km

an update of my daily training the last few weeks, what it looks like. The last three sessions:

1..png

2..png
3..png

the frame is ballistic pulling (swing, snatch) with some sort of pressing. Within this frame I have many variations. I swing one hand two hand, I snatch, I press, do dips, bentpress, pushup, pullup, ab wheel rollout, calfraises, handstandpushup. Currently lots of single bell work and bodyweight work, very little squatting. And a bit of endurance work.

Hey Harald,
Do you still use rowing for aerobic work or predominantly running?
Did you teach yourself the bent press??
Happy New year to you!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom