all posts post new thread

Cause&Effect

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I can see why Pavel is such a fan of the zercher; with the way you can lock your hips underneath at the top it must create massive carryover to most KB lifts.

I can see why Pavel is such a fan of the zercher
me too, I guess. The zercher is my go to for many reasons.

- one can squat a heavy bar without a spotter or power rack
- the hips can extend fully
- it is more accessible than the (bar) frontsquat and (bar) backsquat not only because no rack is required, but one has not to have the mobility, the other squats require
- it is in a way relatively "easy" to build up tension in the dead start position as the arms are more connected to the body than in the other two, and the hands are in the view of the eyes
- it can be loaded for an 1RM, on the other hand can be repped with lighter weights.
- as mentioned in another thread, when deadlifting the bar up and down it is a "long" cycle, and just one nice heavy rep takes its time, like a get up for instance
- its a(n) (g)old lift

- as mentioned in another thread, when deadlifting the bar up and down it is a "long" cycle, and just one nice heavy rep takes its time, like a get up for instance
- its a(n) (g)old lift

Great work @Harald Motz! You inspired me to try zerchers and I really, really like them. Thank you.

I agree that a full cycle zercher is a lot of time under tension like in the get up. This and the fact that I don't need a rack for this makes zerchers a great additional exercise for my deadlifts.

These old, odd lifts are gold indeed.

a great additional exercise
without knowing your current program, when adding, I would suggest doing very few singles. Find your preferred deadlift to set up the bar at your knees. It could be a more snatch grip, as I prefer or it could be sumo, as the foot stance the way I do it is more sumo anyway (I naturally do not like sumo DL). You may have a hook grip, or alternated. when you have set up your elbows evenly, breathe in, pull yourself together creating tension, and come up pressing some air out. Then I like to breathe in a bit, and decent while pressing some air out.

Thank you for tips, I am pretty sure that I need to focus more on breathing.

So far I tried it with snatch grip and it went well. I will try sumo DL as you suggested. I will do just a few singles a session, focusing on technique.

Your log is a big inspiration! Looking forward for more old lifts :)

Harald, where have you found the Zercher to challenge you the most?
The way I do it, is when I am about to pull. As you see in my vids, I deadlift the bar , set it just behind my kneecaps, then I set the crooks of my elbows under the bar. The front of my thighs is a good amount under parallel then. Hips are under my knees! Then the first move is that my hips go up (only, if the weight would be light the shoulders can go up first). The pull really starts, when my body is in my deadlift position, roughly speaking: knees under hips!

In the past I called it "zercher squat", reflecting more about it the mechanics resemble more to a deadlift. Maybe a zercher deadlift would be setting the elbows as the bar is on the ground.

Maybe "kind of a zercher" or just "a zercher" would be more appropriate.

getting the hang on steinbornsquatting. I am appreciating the stretch it provides on the backside, while building up lots of tension, and coming out of the hole out of nothing.

110kg.

another miracle one is the two hands anyhow, which can be done in (m)any ways.

48kg&32kg

I just do some, have some rest and enjoy.

getting the hang on steinbornsquatting. I am appreciating the stretch it provides on the backside, while building up lots of tension, and coming out of the hole out of nothing.

110kg.

another miracle one is the two hands anyhow, which can be done in (m)any ways.

48kg&32kg

I just do some, have some rest and enjoy.

Well.........

Watching you perform Steinborn Squats makes me NEVER want to complain about the squat racks being taken at the gym!! With your ability and strength, you could be the guy to squat the curl rack while the "bros" are doing curls in the squat rack!!

you could be the guy to squat the curl rack
you bet, when I was in a commercial gym some years ago, I suppose people had a good time with me. I was the guy, who brought his own weight into the gym, to go ballistic. When I took the heaviest dumbbell onto the treadmill, to walk like a farmer on it, and it was a no no to chalk my sweaty hands, I knew it's time for me to leave without discussion.
doing curls
oh I like curls, anyhow.

muscling myself up a few times, last week. Pleased to get to almost a minute of just muscling myself up, anyhow. A thing I do once in a while and see how it goes.

also happy, that I got about a handful of singles today of a clean&press with 2x40kg without training on it.

I am training, without training. I do not know today, what I will do tomorrow, but I know, that I will do a bit tomorrow. Sometimes I do a lift or move some days, or some weeks in a row, then almost forget about it, and find enjoyment and teaching when coming back to it. Or just do a move or lift here and there. I think I have an obsession without being obsessed.

This double 40kg movements are impressive! I follow you on instagram and facebook for some time and have to admit that your strength and technique made a big impression on me. I also find your music selection excellent. Do you mind to share your playlist, if you have something like that?

thanks a lot @damogari. Impression just spreads out. The Instagram thing is currently a great tool for me in many regards. I can watch myself perform to criticise myself. I get feedback from others. I have just about a minute to perform. I may have a decent lift for the day, and getting better on having a grasp, that it will not get better... for this day. Tomorrow is another day. On impression on me, there are quite a few. Impression can lead to: Expression. On all this seemingly expression, I would consider me an introvert, although.

week 24 of 2017
a few days only, and they will be getting shorter again. Cyclical nature of nature.

a set of my Alactic Snatches wit 40kg:

It has been a bit over 18months now, that I appreciate repeats for five with a single heavy bell for swings or snatches and practicing Al Ciampa's philosophy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom