all posts post new thread

Cause&Effect

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hi. Very impressive those numbers that you have, and really nice videos you shoot in black and white. I was just wondering if you had any thoughts how you have managed to become so strong. Do you have any advice about what to do, and what not to do in order to get where you are ?

Currently I do some running around an hour 2-4 times a week, around five days of (steinborn) squatting with 100kg most of the time for about 5-15 total reps, A+A snatches with 32kg, 40kg or 44kg. Some floor pressing and roll to elbow with 48kg.

I am glad, that I am back into running. Locomotive breath. A missing link, I knew the first half of this year that I miss that. Just some consistency with it and I am fine.

Do you have any advice about what to do, and what not to do in order to get where you are ?
I trust in the teachings I receive in here. I trust in my interpretation of aspects of the teachings.

I train almost daily for quite some years. Basics it is for me. A pull, a press, a squat, ballistics, grinds, old and odd with a bar, bell(s) or body. Mostly full range of motion multi joint movements. I am not obsessed with a number, I do not compare (compete) much to other people, and even not to much to myself, although comparison is inevitable.

Training in general is to deal with time. Patience, consistency. Resting enough and some reflecting to get the next set up and set stronger. Resting/sleeping enough on a daily basis. I do not want to optimize nutrition. Really nothing special.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what time of day do you usually train? And do you do 2 different sessions when you strength train and run in the same day?

@NoahMarek Currently: when coming home from work around 4p.m. have a tea or coffee, then have literally a minute on the rings, then I do around 5 - 10 total reps on (steinborn) squats, and/or alactic snatch repeats 2-3 times per week. shortly afterwards I might have a run of around 40min. in the evening I do some one arm presses and some dead start rows.

Weekends I like to have the runs more separated from strength training, and may go a bit longer with lower hr for a run and might do slightly bit more volume for strength.

Aerobic locomotive movement makes a huge difference and is a precious addition to heavy pressurized strength work. I believe, that it makes not only the heart stronger as it gets a good amount of stretching with every single beat.

A kind of easy strength, easy endurance, heavy alactic snatches. Cultivation.

Love it. Thank you for sharing @Harald Motz . I like this approach of easy strength and easy endurance a lot.
you're welcome, Noah. I am appreciating "easiness" more and more, although it can be "heavy" from time to time. When its kind of easy its easier to come back to it repeatedly continuously without some external motivation. I don't want to push a lift, a move an exercise to the edge. To be in harmony within the body takes a multiple approach. I like the effects of training, and know a bit about how different ways of training affect my body, my mood. Training is an aspect of my life, I think I have the most control about, "easier" then nutrition for instance.

Now for me my practice of doing training is complete with the resurrection of aerobic locomotive breath work, takes some fine tuning of the amount of each aspect of training, be it strength, explosiveness, mobility & flexibility, endurance. Kind of minimal effective dose.

from today's training:
24-07-17.PNG
1h snatch - 5reps - 18repeats - 33min - 136avg/151max
24-072017.PNG
44 min of running - 137avg/144max - 6,79km - 9,3km/h

2x44kg, did 3rx1 and 4rx1

a bit of running is good. I am only 3 weeks into it regularly. Gait seems to be okay as I have no soreness the next day. Loosing some fat, weight stays around82kg. So far no reduced strength. Bodyweight work on the rings is getting easier. It gives an overall better more serene feeling. Maybe 2-5 runs around 45min done consistently should give some nice benefits.

@Harald Motz I've been watching some of your recent content on Instagram... damn impressive strength Sir! And your relative strength as a big guy; really amazing.

I have to ask though, what the hell do you eat??? Your physique is very admirable; lean with proportionate bulk. If you would be so kind, would you mind outlining a sample day of eating?

I have to ask though, what the hell do you eat??? Your physique is very admirable; lean with proportionate bulk. If you would be so kind, would you mind outlining a sample day of eating?

I spin my head not around nutrition and "healthy" that much. I always have breakfast about 4 slices of whole grain bread, with butter and honey, or instead of honey 4 eggs for instance.
2 mugs of coffee or tea, and mostly some throughout a day. Plenty of natural spring water. No (artificially) sweetened beverages.

After 5 hours at work I usually have 4 slices of bread with 4 slices of "extra old gouda" cheese. Sometimes with a few carrots or slices of paprika or some tomatoes. Sometimes instead of that I have 500g of Quark (Curd?) mixed currently with the juice of 2 lemons and a spoon of honey. Mixed with berries or orange juice tastes good also for me. Quark I have almost daily.

For fruit I like kiwis, or an apple.
I like good amount of nuts, I have almost daily.
Sometimes I have some dark chocolate (75% + cacao)

In the evening I frequently have a good amount of porridge (250g oats), with a good amount of cinnamon and honey.
Or an Omelett with 6 eggs and two slices of bread + "extra old gouda". Sometimes some steamed broccoli, Brussels sprouts or just some raw carrots.

For myself I rarely cook, but have good meals at weekends with family and friends.

For supplements I use some creatin, magnesium, some zinc.
So I have a good amount of carbs in my diet. My physical Appearance is to a great degree the outcome of my training, the by product. I know, that with the way I train, I can trigger the amount of appetite, craving. As I mentioned previously here and on other threads, very astonishing impact (on me) has aerobic base training. It happens, that I am writing this after an easy 90min run...

@Harald Motz thank you for the response. I see, pretty high carb and nothing too complicated. I notice not much meat, though you seem to like eggs; are you vegetarian or do you tend to just gravitate towards not eating much meat?

I am not a vegetarian, I like fish and meat but I think I could get along without it if I would make a decision.

like to do this currently just 60-80 seconds on almost every day. I can see some development.

170kg. Did a few Zercher's. I really like kind of (almost) daily dose of barbell intensity, I need very little volume with Steinborn or Zercher besides A+A work, as it has good amounts of heavy volume. Apart from that I do a bit of one arm pressing, a few get ups, today after longer pause a bit on paralletes. I am happy with my aerobic base training, practicing locomotive breath.

Last edited:
Harald, pardon if I missed it, but what exactly do you mean by "locomotive breath"?

"locomotive breath"?
Jethro Tull.... my locomotive breath work currently is the simple old fashioned running, or steady state cardio, or the cutting edge state of the art LSD (although most German speaking people hearing or reading that acronym think on Acid) When I am out for a run, my limbs work round like a good old locomotive, although not breathing like one but in relaxed rhythm through the nose, having gas exchange. Last year I got used to rowing as my main cardio activity. Just aerobic base training.

I spin my head not around nutrition and "healthy" that much. I always have breakfast about 4 slices of whole grain bread, with butter and honey, or instead of honey 4 eggs for instance.
2 mugs of coffee or tea, and mostly some throughout a day. Plenty of natural spring water. No (artificially) sweetened beverages.

After 5 hours at work I usually have 4 slices of bread with 4 slices of "extra old gouda" cheese. Sometimes with a few carrots or slices of paprika or some tomatoes. Sometimes instead of that I have 500g of Quark (Curd?) mixed currently with the juice of 2 lemons and a spoon of honey. Mixed with berries or orange juice tastes good also for me. Quark I have almost daily.

For fruit I like kiwis, or an apple.
I like good amount of nuts, I have almost daily.
Sometimes I have some dark chocolate (75% + cacao)

In the evening I frequently have a good amount of porridge (250g oats), with a good amount of cinnamon and honey.
Or an Omelett with 6 eggs and two slices of bread + "extra old gouda". Sometimes some steamed broccoli, Brussels sprouts or just some raw carrots.

For myself I rarely cook, but have good meals at weekends with family and friends.

For supplements I use some creatin, magnesium, some zinc.
So I have a good amount of carbs in my diet. My physical Appearance is to a great degree the outcome of my training, the by product. I know, that with the way I train, I can trigger the amount of appetite, craving. As I mentioned previously here and on other threads, very astonishing impact (on me) has aerobic base training. It happens, that I am writing this after an easy 90min run...

Nice. And just another proof that one does not need any intermittent, fighter or warrior diet for a great performance. Just consistent training accompanied with the sensible diet.

Hello,

@Harald Motz
This is impressive how you can build so much muscles and get such an impressive physique while eating "so much carbs and so few proteins". Congratulations :)

I really enjoy food and cooking. For me, this is kind of a way to release stress. Nonetheless, I do admit that I also enjoy considering food as another tool of performance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Mirek: of course I am fasting on a nighty basis and break-fast in the morning regularly...

@pet: when one wants to build muscle and does volumes of some work, one needs an amount of carbs.

@rickyw: in these technical smart days it is easy to be carried away by the market of opinions and sellers. Like there are some simple basics when it comes to reasonable training there are some when it comes to reasonable "healthy" nutrition.

03-08-17.PNG
simple & sinister - 48kg - 10x10 swings - 10x1 getup - 24min - 136avg/151max

It has been about 20 months since my last s&s. deja vu.

I'm sure it's somewhere in your log but did you ever achieve "Sinister" at any point? I know you've been doing heavy TGUs and Snatches but the fact you can come back to S&S and start with the 48kg is awesome!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom