all posts post new thread

Cause&Effect

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Jared_G_85 : did not make the standards. This would take grit, grip, strength, endurance, pain tolerance. This is seriously tough.

sunday morning:
06-08-17.PNG
running - 14km - 97min - 138avg/150max - 8,6km/h

Running is good, it's easy breathing, available almost everywhere at anytime. Starting slowly, getting into homeostasis for some time, the last 5-10min just some walking and shaking to come down. No need to have music on the ears, as I would "need" it when I was on the rower for instance. I am getting some springiness into my legs, and get some high rep calve work in. running is "functional" too. When hard lifting is like meat, than some reasonable endurance are the vegetables. A few years ago I ran regularly, so it is not that new for me, but new for me is this easy base work at lower hr, which is worth every step.

s&s 06-08-17.PNG
S&S - 48kg - 1h swing 7rx16 - get up 1rx10 - 28min - 146avg/159max

Last edited:
This is impressive how you can build so much muscles and get such an impressive physique while eating "so much carbs and so few proteins". Congratulations :)
"Quark" has ~12-14g protein per 100g and eating 250g-500g per serving is common. Harald even mentions the 500g he eats. That's ~65g of protein. Add the omelett in the evening (6 eggs =~45g protein) and you're already at ~110g.
Nuts have a god amount of protein, so does bread (3-5g per slice on average) and cheese or oats.
Just from the example day he was so kind to provide, you can estimate that he's getting somewhere between 130 and 180g of protein per day (~150 average). Given his weight of 180lbs (82Kg), those 150g are almost at the "2g per pound of bodyweight"-mark which is widely accepted to be a good norm for weightlifting people/people who want to gain mass.
There are debates how much protein you really need (for hypertrophy) from as low as 0.8g per 1Kg of bodyweight up to 3g per 1Kg of bodyweight, but that's better discussed in a different thread and not this one.
@pet' you see though, that just because he isn't eating tons of meat and/or chugging down a lot of shakes, Harald is in no way eating "so few proteins" :)

@Harry Westgate thank you very much, this physical culture thing is is so vast, it starts with the basic body and then some really great tools. It's a good fortune to learn at SF about timeless principles, and to learn from the forum. Some skill work, some a&a, bit of running.
Longevity and consistency is key, keeping the long view in mind.

@Harald Motz I concur. I'm trying to look at the long term picture more and more these days. Longevity, to the point where I'm able to maintain a high level of strength, skill and conditioning for many decades to come.

I believe I'm paraphrasing @aciampa who once said to me once that as a young man in my 20s, the best thing I can do is look at my training and health in terms of years and decades, rather than weeks and months.

My recent implementation of this ideology has included not trying to chase down Sinister or similar goals in a massive hurry like I have done in the past, but rather trying to get there slow and steady in order to avoid any injuries that may come back to haunt me later on.

*Edited to add:

I hope for my best years to always be ahead; never behind me.

well explained @Kettlebelephant. I think protein I get enoug. A good amount of 250g outs into delicious cinnamon milk porridge provides over 30g also. And lots of fiber. Good carbs. Whole grain bread also gives some protein. And good hydration.

But seriously I don't want to build a theory about eating habits. There are like with lifting some basics one can rely on. Some have 3 meals some do intermittent fasting, others never have breakfast. A matter of habit.

Appearance is mostly the outcome of my training. And some calories of course.

@Harald Motz I love reading your Journal and would also like to say, since living in Germany the last 2.5 years, Quark has become a staple in my diet as well. I'd be lost without it.

my last weeks practice looked like this:

23-08-18.PNG
1h snatch - 40kg 5reps/30repeats - 40min - 139avg/154max

or:
26-08-17.PNG
simple&sinister
1h swing 48kg 10reps x 10repeats
Get up 48kg 1r x 10repeats
25min - 129/143

and a run of around an hour in the evening:
26-08-2017.PNG
running - 65min - 10,04km - 9,3km/h - 139avg/145max

in essence, daily a+a single bell work and some aerobic running.

Quark has become a staple in my diet as well. I'd be lost without it.
Quark macht stark.

Den Spruch kenne ich ;)
In meiner 'Quarkzeit' habe ich gerne Zimt untergemischt und Rosinen - für die Kombi 'Eiweiß mit schnellen Transporterkohlenhydraten', das hieß gleichzeitig, dass ich auf andere Süßungsmittel verzichten konnte.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom