all posts post new thread

Cause&Effect

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harald Motz

Level 8 Valued Member
statistics: 38 years, 178cm, 93kg

injuries: nothing really broken yet

mobility: no restrictions in movements

background: 7-20: soccer, table tennis, figure dancing, taekwondo, kickboxing (all at a low level)
introduced myself to weight training at 15-16 via a little book (no planning about that, progression either more reps or more weight)
20-33: endurance sport cycling and running regularly (3-4 x week), most of the time alone (really do not need an external motivator) read something about that, used a hr-monitor (no planning about that or competitions); strength training occasionally
33-now: started practicing shikantaza (sitting without intention). The first time I heard better read about Kettlebell - what the hell is that? -
in the book by John Little about Bruce Lee "the art of expressing the human body" if there was one I could say "the rest is history", but I got my first kettlebells and olympic barbells before five years and soon stumbled over Pavel Tsatsouline's work and got "Power to the People" and knew reading a few pages, that this guy has some knowledge, no pretending and no bullshit and got some more books from him and other great authors like Dan John, Brooks Kubik, Mark Rippetoe, Geoff Neupert, Marty Gallagher, Louie Simmons, Tommy Kono to name a few. That is the good thing about the Internet: you get the best informations, when you make the right decisions. So, when it comes to training I am an complete autodidact, meaning no one showed me the moves, I make my decisions, but I seem to be influenced in some way...

aim: staying healthy meaning mobile, strong, fast, endurance. Skill development. Persistency till the day I will wipe my a.. for myself the last time (great longtime goal stolen from Mr.Ciampa).

currently: owned simple feb. 2015, back on S&S since three weeks, made a commitment using 47k (thiner handle better now for my swings) and 50k (thicker handle, but more space between bell and handle, better for get ups). Extensive Use of the hr-monitor and using the elite hrv-app. Still tinkering about frequency. two days in a row seem to much by now. So every other day or 3 or maybe 2 times a week. Additionally I do some easy rowing on my concept2 and like the guidelines for the Ukranian Deadlifts.

09/24/15: (hr: 67 hrv: 58 score 9para).
+ zazen

planned S&S (would have been 216. session)
+ goblets 50k - 5r x 3 - halo 32k 5r x 3
noticed while warming up hr was 10-15 beats higher as usual
+ swings 47k - 2hand 5rx6s - 1hand 5rx14s - 43min
hr spike 10 higher than usual and did not really want to come down under 100
did not any get ups, took a shower and later did standing ab wheel rollouts 5rx5s

09/25/15: (hr: 58 hrv: 62 score: 3para)
+ zazen
according to elite hrv: "Your parasympathicus is abnormally high, your body is likely in a deep recovery mode and possibly over training. Good recovery activities include walking and very light exercise" this is definitely mirroring what was going on yesterday. And yes, today no weights, maybe very easy rowing, and it has been a long time ago since I was in sauna the last time.

+ standing abwheel rollouts - 8r x 3s

Last edited:
09/26/15: (hr 59 hrv 63 score 5para)

+ zazen
+ rowing - 60min - 12900m - 130avg/138max
Later:
+ ukranian deads 47k - 20r × 3s

Last edited:
I'm glad you are including the Elite HRV info: hr, hrv, and score. I have been using it every morning for 2 months now and starting to find it quite useful. Do you pay attention to the HR and HRV, or just the Score? I can't always make sense of how it gets the score from the HR and HRV, but, it does seem to be meaningful and correspond with what I can do that day. On Monday this week my parasympathetic was dominant (the same message you got, above) from some hard work over the weekend, so I did a very slow S&S session, 36 min for the swings + get-ups. My HR was very low during the session. That seemed to work well and felt right. Yesterday when I did the "test" session and recorded the video, my score was 10 -- good to go. Sure enough, it was. But I did push it a bit hard, and this morning it says my score is 7; sympathetic is a bit dominant. Seems right.

By now I would say the correlation goes (simplified) something like this: the lower the resting hr, the higher the hrv.
With the score there is something going on, I don't know (maybe sleep, training the day before) but it seems to correlate with how I feel, energy wise. For now I use the monitor very often, as you and Al mentioned somewhere before, that one can and should tax the current hr quite precisely with some experience, and there will be a time when I will lay the monitor back for some time. It really can help my mind to get in better contact with my "flesh machine".

Last edited:
09/27/15: (hr: 67 hrv: 61 score 9para):

according to elite hrv I am rested well.

+ zazen

+ rowing - 10000m - 49min - 134avg/140max

Last edited:
Harald - just to be clear - the Elite HRV data you are quoting are from the morning readiness test?

09/28/15: (hr: 68 hrv: 58 score: 9sym 92,2kg)

Yes krg, measuring after I was in the bathroom sitting on a chair in the morning.

+ zazen

+ simple and sinister (216) - 56.30min - 118/145
- goblets 50k - 5r x 3 - halo 32k - 5r x 3
- swing 47k - 2hand 5r x 8s - 1hand 5r x 13s
- get up 50k - 1r x 10s

Last edited:
I am definitely going to be following your training log, Harald! Great detail in here. 32kg for Halos seems pretty heavy from what I've read. I did a Halo with a 48kg KB years back and really wish I hadn't. Didn't seem to do me any favors in the shoulder department, haha - but they were on their way to being kind of wrecked before that anyway.

09/29/15: (hr: 61 hrv: 63 score: 7para)

Yes Ben,32kg is pretty heavy from what I've read, too. That would be my fault. It's a good thing to get some input, to reconsider the own actions. The halo is not a strenth move and has the purpose to mobilize, lubricate, warm and loosen up. Good pointer in here.

+ zazen

a1) ukranian deadlift - 50k 20r x2s - 60k 20r x 1s
b1) handstandpushup - full range of motion - 1r x 7s - 2r x 4s

+ rowing - 10000m - 46.30min - 128avg/135max

Last edited:
09/30/15: (hr: 73 hrv: 53 score: 4 sym 91,3kg)
+ zazen
+ standing abwheel rollouts - 5r x 5s -
...later...
a1) zercher squat - 100k: 5rx1 - 130k 3rx1 - 160k: 2rx1 - 140k: 3r x 2
a2) ring pullup - 5rx5
a3) handstandpushup - full range - 2r x 7

Last edited:
10/01/15: (hr: 64 hrv: 59 score 9sym)
+ zazen
+ ukranian deads - 50k 20r x 1 - 64k 20r x 1
...later...
a1) zercher squat - 100kg 5r x 1 - 140kg 3r x 3
a2) ringpullup - 5r x 4s
a3) handstandpushup - 2r x 5s

in between sets a bit of mobility and easy stretching (my inner thighs became a little stiff in last times, where have my splits gone?).
Easy Strenth in my mind. S&S frequency two times a week. Repeatable. No draining training. I want to stick a bit with that. And now I gonna hike to the next village roughly 4-5km from my home to buy some food. Great advice, Mr. Freides! Easy Strenth - Easy going.

Last edited:
10/02/15: (hr: 64 hrv:65 score 7para, 89,7kg)
+ zazen

+ doubles day:
a1) zercher squat - 120kg 2r x 5s
a2) ringpullup - +20kg 2r x 5s
a3) handstandpushup - full range 2r x 5
a4) standing abwheel rollouts 2r x 5s

+ 1hour of hiking

Last edited:
I noticed you've done weighted pullups today, is that the first time you've trained with added weight on the pullup Harald ?

No, Tarzan. I did them in the past, and worked up to a single + 50kg. The last three weeks I elaborated my S&S frequency with the heavy weight, and made my mind up, that I do it twice per week, mixing it with an Easy Strength approach 3-5 times a week: 3-5 lifts for about 10 reps (-/+a few reps). With that schedule I have enumerable options: sets of singles, doubles, triples, four, five, 1,2 or 1,2,3, or 1,2,3,4, or 1,2,3,4,5 ladders. Rotate exercises after a week, or two, or three in a same but different manner (zercher squat, back squat, front squat) (deadlift: conventional, sumo, snatch grip, from a deficit, from blocks) (handstandpushup, single press, double press, barbell press, bottom up press, dips) (pullups, barbell or kettlebell rows, bat wings)... I think there are quite some options. And with the weights I want to go by feel to perform each and every lift very strict, no rushing in between sets and doing some easy stretching and mobility work. A little bit of easy cardio rowing, hiking, maybe a little bit of jogging. That is what I want to do until the end of the year. Some kind of freestyling within some guidelines.

10/03/15: (hr: 69 hrv:52 score: 4sym)
+ zazen
...triples day...
a1) zerchersquat - 120kg: 3rx2 - 150kg: 3rx1
a2) ringpullup - +20kg: 3r x 3
a3) handstandpushup - full range: 3rx3s
a4) standingabwheelrollout - 3rx3s
a5) shadowswings - 32k: 10rx3s
a6) easy stretch-mobility
...later....
+ rowing - 10000m - 45.30min - 129avg/137max

Last edited:
10/04/15: (hr: 63 hrv:61 score 10)
+ zazen
...ladders day...
a1) zercher squat - 120k 3rx2 - 130k 2rx2 - 140k 1rx2
a2) ringpullup - +20k 3rx2 - +24k 2rx2 - +32k 1rx2
a3) handstandpushup - (1,2) x 4
a4) abwheel - (654) x 1
a5) shadow swings - 6rx4
a6) easy stretch-mobility
...later...
+ ukranian deads - 64k 20rx2s
+ 1h of hiking (visiting friends)

Last edited:
Harald, I really like this approach to the 40 day program. It would serve many people well on limited time and that want to be strong.

Yes Shawn, I like the simple to follow guidelines of Easy Strength. Within them I have many options what to do and how to do it on each day. I can use any available implement, can wave loading, exercises, set-rep schemes and focus on each and every rep, have a little bit of easy mobility and stretching. Nothing spectacular, no pressure, park benching.

No, Tarzan. I did them in the past, and worked up to a single + 50kg. The last three weeks I elaborated my S&S frequency with the heavy weight, and made my mind up, that I do it twice per week, mixing it with an Easy Strength approach 3-5 times a week: 3-5 lifts for about 10 reps (-/+a few reps). With that schedule I have enumerable options: sets of singles, doubles, triples, four, five, 1,2 or 1,2,3, or 1,2,3,4, or 1,2,3,4,5 ladders. Rotate exercises after a week, or two, or three in a same but different manner (zercher squat, back squat, front squat) (deadlift: conventional, sumo, snatch grip, from a deficit, from blocks) (handstandpushup, single press, double press, barbell press, bottom up press, dips) (pullups, barbell or kettlebell rows, bat wings)... I think there are quite some options. And with the weights I want to go by feel to perform each and every lift very strict, no rushing in between sets and doing some easy stretching and mobility work. A little bit of easy cardio rowing, hiking, maybe a little bit of jogging. That is what I want to do until the end of the year. Some kind of freestyling within some guidelines.

Smart, Harald!

Harald - I'm interested in your Elite HRV scores. On 3/10 your readiness score was 4 (despite HRV being a pretty high 69). You then proceeded to work your butt off and on 4/10 your readiness score had jumped to 10 (although HRV had dropped).

How did you feel on both days and do you think your easy rowing (if you can ever call 10km easy ;)) contributed to such a good recovery?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom