all posts post new thread

Nutrition Cbd oil

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I don't see cbd oil as a dangerous substance, at least not in taking small amounts.

How many warnings are out there on supplements? Yet they kill nobody..
Pharma drugs kill thousands yearly and all I see is more commercials for them every year. Have you ever stopped to think of the money it takes to bombard every channel 24/7 with commercials? It's in the hundreds of billions at least, with that kind of money in play health has little to do with it.

What's wrong with this picture?
I don't understand your question or the concern. Yes, drugs are dangerous. Some supplements are dangerous, some are not. And some supplements have been studied more than others.

I don't understand your question or the concern. Yes, drugs are dangerous. Some supplements are dangerous, some are not. And some supplements have been studied more than others.
The main point I was making is I believe drug companies fund studies on supplements which are designed to make them look bad, I'm always suspicious of the 'medical industrial complex'. Then their press lackeys print this junk science as gospel, warning us of dangerous supplements.

They market their 'products' with catchy names, sunshine and smiles as they read off a long list of really bad things that 'have happened'..

Saying 'Supplements' is an all inclusive broad brush group of many different potential substances, it's easy to cherry pick and say one is 'dangerous'. But I must ask, where are the bodies? There are many bodies no longer functioning due to pharmaceutical drugs. Not saying all drugs are bad, but the system is..

The main point I was making is I believe drug companies fund studies on supplements which are designed to make them look bad, I'm always suspicious of the 'medical industrial complex'. Then their press lackeys print this junk science as gospel, warning us of dangerous supplements.
Do you have examples of this?

Do you have examples of this?
No, nothing concrete or a smoking gun per se.. However if you look at studies done decades ago using high doses of Niacin for example to cure many different ailments and contrast these with 'studies' using a very small quantity of the same supplement, whose results are exactly the opposite.. it doesn't take much to put it all together.
I've been watching this stuff for a long time, and the pharma push is now epidemic. I laugh when I hear about the 'dangers' of supplements.

Examples.. (from 2013) It's worse now.. much worse

Prescription drugs are currently responsible for more deaths annually than illegal drugs. According to Tom Frieden, the CDC director himself, “it’s a big problem, and it’s getting worse [3].”

AWARENESS
Prescription Drugs Kill Over 100,000 People Each Year, Are You Being Medicated Incorrectly?
9cee3ee16862c47a961419c574861054

Published

6 years ago
on

May 7, 2013
By

Shelley M. White
perscriptions.jpeg

START YOUR FREE TRIAL TO CETV TODAY!

“Death by medicine is a twenty-first century epidemic, and America’s war on drugs is clearly directed at the wrong enemy.” –Dr. Joseph Mercola [2]

I have briefly focused on mushrooms and cannabis as medicine sources. Now, it is only fair to shine the spotlight on the other side of the medicinal spectrum: prescription drugs. One could go through and list the pros and cons of each individual prescription drug or, to save some time, one could first approach prescription drugs as a whole. Doing so exposes an alarming truth, ringing louder than the individual benefits of each drug. Prescription drugs are currently responsible for more deaths annually than illegal drugs. According to Tom Frieden, the CDC director himself, “it’s a big problem, and it’s getting worse [3].”

prescription-drug-abuse-us-article-300x227.jpg

Out of the 783,936 annual deaths from conventional medicine mistakes, approximately 106,000 of those are the result of prescription drug use [1]. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, two-hundred and ninety people in the United States are killed by prescription drugs every day [4].

Last edited:
No, nothing concrete or a smoking gun per se.. However if you look at studies done decades ago using high doses of Niacin for example to cure many different ailments and contrast these with 'studies' using a very small quantity of the same supplement, whose results are exactly the opposite.. it doesn't take much to put it all together.
I harp on this specific point, because I know about the rest.
I don't see anything suspicious about Niacin (Vit.B3) studies. Yes, high doses were shown to have therapeutic effect. High doses were also shown to cause multiorgan failure (as with any hypervitaminosis). It is part of the recommended therapeutic interventions for cardiovascular pathologies based on those studies.
All vitamins are dosage-dependant. Both hypovitaminosis and hypervitaminosis are not good, although the former leads to chronic conditions that can usually be reveresed, while the latter can cause severe and fatal toxicity.

I harp on this specific point, because I know about the rest.
I don't see anything suspicious about Niacin (Vit.B3) studies. Yes, high doses were shown to have therapeutic effect. High doses were also shown to cause multiorgan failure (as with any hypervitaminosis). It is part of the recommended therapeutic interventions for cardiovascular pathologies based on those studies.
All vitamins are dosage-dependant. Both hypovitaminosis and hypervitaminosis are not good, although the former leads to chronic conditions that can usually be reveresed, while the latter can cause severe and fatal toxicity.
Yes, the poison is in the dose, water can kill you in the right dose.. I think we're on the same page here, and I acknowledge some supplements used incorrectly can harm you.
Having said that the pharma chem push is real and much more dangerous to an unwitting public.

Chances are if a person is taking supps they've done some research on the subject, unlike the poor souls who've perished while dutifully taking prescription drugs.
The former is a danger to be sure, the latter is downright scary to me, and nothing is being done about it.. money.. lobbyists.. corruption.. greed.. death too often and unnecessarily..

A sad state of affairs unfortunately

Yes, the poison is in the dose, water can kill you in the right dose..
That's a popular saying, but not quite applicable here. Water does not cause acute toxicity. We are talking about cartoonish mechanism of pumping gallons into a strapped individual and even them it will be due to liquid volume than actual water properties that will kill that person.
Vitamins are dose-dependant in a different manner. They can cause acute or chronic toxicity. However, it is unlikely to happen accidentally (unless we are talking about leaving a child alone with them) since vitamins have been studied to death (sometimes literally) and the doses in multi-vitamins and supplemental vitamins are small.
This is why having a large body of robust clinical trials is important for any formulation. This is not related to US problems with overprescription, advertisement and so on. There are countries outside US that don't have these issues with marketing but the discussion about clinical trials would be relevant there too.

I have a lot to say about prescription medications.. An uneducated view, perhaps, and one i would not care to share.

As for CBD, definite effect on me. I have a vaporizer (horrid habit I know) that i fill with high concentration CBD oil. No thc, in case you're wondering (although some of the bottles warn you that there may be trace amount, it is from the same thing after all.)

I will vape some days between calls while filling out paperwork. If my stomach is upset it fixes it up lickety split, just the same as "unfiltered" marijuana used to. Definitely not a high, but a bodily effect. It relaxes you on a cellular level, almost involuntarily. This of course has an effect on your state of mind as well, just not the psychoactive shift one associates with thc. I remember one day where i felt really sleep deprived and cranky anf my partner hit me with some CBD, and while it doesnt get you high it sure calms otherwise cranky nerves.

Cheap, effective, enjoyable medicine. I have not tried the topicala, edibles, or combustion of the apparently CBD-only weed plant.

Its just like anything. Im not surprised people dont feel any effects from it. Maybe try it in a different context. I dont notice it much if already relaxed. It is when tension (real tension, the kind that makes you sweat that funny smell) is consuming you, you can REALLY feel the effect.

Once again, would not start vaping if i were you.

THC (psychoactive) comes from the female (cannabis) plant sex organs (flowers). CBD can come from cannabis - but also can come from the male (hemp) plant. Hemp plants cannot produce THC.
CBD gives the bodily relaxation which is well described above.

The bodily effect is very profound and can be VERY effective when combined with gentle myofascial release.

Last edited:
The main point I was making is I believe drug companies fund studies on supplements which are designed to make them look bad, I'm always suspicious of the 'medical industrial complex'.
I'm generally with you on this. One of the issues with Buteyko breathing education, which is approved for reimbursement in a number of countries around the world, is that it'll never get approved here because it will mean fewer people taking medications. Sad, but true.

-S-

"According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, two-hundred and ninety people in the United States are killed by prescription drugs every day [4]."

Staples Center Arena in Los Angeles holds 21,000 people, how many days to fill the arena with dead people walking at the rate calculated by the AMA?!? .. of all sources, they would benefit least from this information being released to the public, it would be an epidemic, or at least a scandal if we had an honest media. Imagine if these were Ebola deaths or some mysterious disease, yet we (the citizens) die off like mistreated cattle as the pharma industry flourishes. Day dreamers get dead.

Just observations from a guy with his eyes and mind open.. :)

"According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, two-hundred and ninety people in the United States are killed by prescription drugs every day [4]."

Staples Center Arena in Los Angeles holds 21,000 people, how many days to fill the arena with dead people walking at the rate calculated by the AMA?!? .. of all sources, they would benefit least from this information being released to the public, it would be an epidemic, or at least a scandal if we had an honest media. Imagine if these were Ebola deaths or some mysterious disease, yet we (the citizens) die off like mistreated cattle as the pharma industry flourishes. Day dreamers get dead.

Just observations from a guy with his eyes and mind open.. :)

And that's the stuff that is directly attributable. How many have complications from off-label usage, interactions from multiple drug combinations that probably never should have been prescribed, at least not without much closer supervision, habit/dependency issues from many medications that lead to other problems.

A friend of mine was on blood thinners and hurt his shoulder - prescribed opioid/NSAID painkiller, he developed bleeding in his brain = coma and died within a week.

My take-away, keep yourself in shape so you need as little medical intervention as possible, refuse treatment you don't understand or aren't comfortable with, monitor yourself carefully regarding any treatment you use.

I'm generally with you on this. One of the issues with Buteyko breathing education, which is approved for reimbursement in a number of countries around the world, is that it'll never get approved here because it will mean fewer people taking medications. Sad, but true.

-S-

It'll eventually get approved for asthma treatment anyway. Just like acupuncture, might take a few. Am surprised it isn't already OKd with some plans.
The road block is probably no Govt agency licenses practitioners. Once they start doing that (and charging you to do so) they'll be more than happy to get a piece of the pie.

And that's the stuff that is directly attributable. How many have complications from off-label usage, interactions from multiple drug combinations that probably never should have been prescribed, at least not without much closer supervision, habit/dependency issues from many medications that lead to other problems.

A friend of mine was on blood thinners and hurt his shoulder - prescribed opioid/NSAID painkiller, he developed bleeding in his brain = coma and died within a week.

My take-away, keep yourself in shape so you need as little medical intervention as possible, refuse treatment you don't understand or aren't comfortable with, monitor yourself carefully regarding any treatment you use.
More evidence and great points Martin, this has to become a front and center issue at some point..

More evidence and great points Martin, this has to become a front and center issue at some point..

I've had a handful of surgeries and came out better than I went in, so in that respect I love modern medicine.

I've been very fortunate to not have metabolic or autoimmune issues or other complications that cannot be solved with a sharp knife and some ingenuity.

I have no doubt many medications are indeed life-saving, but no medical intervention, prescription or otherwise, comes without a risk or side-effects. Your GP doesn't have time to research all this, and the internet can only help so much, buyer beware.

IMHO avoid anything that hasn't stood the test of time unless you have little or nothing to lose.

avoid anything that hasn't stood the test of time unless you have little or nothing to lose.
I feel like this is just good general advice. I think Nassim Taleb even makes this point about economics in one of his books. New stuff might be flashy and cool, but it's also untested on a large scale. Personally, I would try to avoid any drugs that haven't been out for at least 5-10 years unless I was it was a somewhat desperate situation. Let the desperate folks give them a spin first. I'm not trying to be callous, simply acknowledging that the risk:reward calculations are not going to be the same for everyone. The nice thing about THC and CBD is that they've been around long enough that we [pretty much] know what the potential risks are, even if we're just beginning to research treatment utility for various conditions. And that is where I stop writing, because I don't think anybody cares to hear me rant :p

I tried a CBD cannabis that was 12%. I don’t feel like it did anything for me. I suspect most of the claims are unfounded and is clever marketing of a trendy product.

Last edited:
I feel like this is just good general advice. I think Nassim Taleb even makes this point about economics in one of his books. New stuff might be flashy and cool, but it's also untested on a large scale. Personally, I would try to avoid any drugs that haven't been out for at least 5-10 years unless I was it was a somewhat desperate situation. Let the desperate folks give them a spin first. I'm not trying to be callous, simply acknowledging that the risk:reward calculations are not going to be the same for everyone. The nice thing about THC and CBD is that they've been around long enough that we [pretty much] know what the potential risks are, even if we're just beginning to research treatment utility for various conditions. And that is where I stop writing, because I don't think anybody cares to hear me rant :p

I have a good friend that had acute out-of-the-blue MS. From successful 6 figure life by the shorties to using a cane and crawling to the bathroom with one eye legally blind.

She was willing to try any treatment once the standard ones all failed. 20 years later and after a lot of up and down she is stable and enjoying life. She is very fortunate I think.

I have another good friend who was diagnosed with CF and survived into adulthood. At one point, his situation was so uncommon he was sitting (at age 40+) in a ward intended to treat kids no older than 12-15. We are planning a canoe trip this Spring at ages of + 50 and sleeping in the damp, rain, whatever. He is fortunate and I am so happy to be sharing this success with him. We have been through some stuff, camping trips where the rain was so heavy we couldn't hang the food bags as our head lamps were useless - you couldn't see anything above your head.

I absolutely won't make any definitive declarations - I lost my own mom at age 9 and I'm certain if there were any additional treatment options she would have taken them. I would do the same.

To me it is the same as when deciding surgery - what happens if I do nothing? What happens if the intervention goes South? Try whatever but be on the ball and honest with yourself. I have a very unsympathetic view toward casual interventions for non critical issues.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom