all posts post new thread

Nutrition certain kind of diet anyone?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
David.

One thing you can try is making fat your primary source of energy.

One time i tried going strict paleo and i lost 5kg in the first week. The funny thing was that i wasnt training at that time because of an running injury.

David,

As an interim measure there are some gumshield like mouthpieces that are supposed to show good effects with mild sleep apnoea. I think the technical term is a mandibular advancement device - might be worth looking into. Steve's suggestion to discuss sleeping position is also very relevant.

Back on the diet question.

The warrior diet book is a good read and the flexibility of the warrior diet looks useful - particularly if you are trying to prepare a sensible family meal in the evenings.

However, the array of recommended supplements is mind blowing. I would like to hear how much supplementation folk use on an undereating / overeating plan. I am struggling to believe most supplementation is providing any benefit (over placebo type effects) if most of your food is fresh.

Intermittent fasting, half-vegetarian (ie. meat+vegetables).

My focus is on fat loss. I try to limit/eliminate sugar & starchy food.

Typical day is as follows:

Breakfast - 1/3 cup oatmeal, grilled ham, glass of veggie juice
Snack - light yogurt
Lunch - salad w/ boiled chicken breast, boiled egg, spinach, celery, tomato, fat free balsamic dressing
Snack - a banana or an apple
Dinner - lean steak, big bowl of veggies
Snack - protein shake with almond milk, whole wheat toast with a little peanut butter

Around 1850 calories. Rarely feel really hungry. Been averaging over 2 lbs per week loss. I'll stick with it as long as it keeps working. I've lost 42lbs so far, hope to lose another 63 lbs.

A normal day for me begins with eating 4 extra large eggs and a big serving of cold sauerkraut about an hour after waking at 7 AM. I usually strength train 30-45 minutes starting at 10 AM. Afterwards, I often eat a can of tuna as my post-workout meal. Around 1 PM I eat lunch. A very common meal is a stir-fry that includes wilted greens (kale, chard, collards, spinach, etc), potatoes, onions, dried cranberries, and beef. My stir-fries fill a dinner plate to a depth of at least 1 inch and sometimes 2 inches. I slow cook a roast frequently to produce enough meat to get me through 6-10 meals. When I don't have roast, I often use ground beef. Another common meal is a salmon salad made with a variety of veggies and homemade mayo or avocado. Sometimes I eat 2 suppers. One at 5 PM and another at 8 PM. A common alternative for me is to eat one supper at 5 or 6 PM and to eat a large baked sweet potato with macadamia nuts and dried cranberries at 8 PM before going to bed at 9:30-10 PM. I drink about 90 ounces of water per day and at least one bottle of kombucha. I don't weigh myself frequently, but have held right at 185 pounds consistently since August 2011. I am 6'2" tall, so 185 leaves me on the thin side.

I started eating like this in May, 2010. A few weeks after starting, I began to perform better in the gym. My backsquats and deadlifts got heavier every week for a long time. The big thing that happened when I changed what I was eating was that I started sleeping better. With better sleep, I recovered faster and felt better. Because I felt better, I lifted heavier. As I got stronger, I began to believe I could get stronger and did. I tried intermittent fasting and eating in an 8 hour window for three months. I felt good and continued to train hard, but my sleep quality and quantity went down, so I stopped IF.

Tom, I like the specific ideas you have included, and the way you describe how it all helps in the positive feedback loop of food, sleep, training, recovery. Thanks, and welcome to the forum!

A normal day for me begins with eating 4 extra large eggs and a big serving of cold sauerkraut about an hour after waking at 7 AM. I usually strength train 30-45 minutes starting at 10 AM. Afterwards, I often eat a can of tuna as my post-workout meal. Around 1 PM I eat lunch. A very common meal is a stir-fry that includes wilted greens (kale, chard, collards, spinach, etc), potatoes, onions, dried cranberries, and beef. My stir-fries fill a dinner plate to a depth of at least 1 inch and sometimes 2 inches. I slow cook a roast frequently to produce enough meat to get me through 6-10 meals. When I don't have roast, I often use ground beef. Another common meal is a salmon salad made with a variety of veggies and homemade mayo or avocado. Sometimes I eat 2 suppers. One at 5 PM and another at 8 PM. A common alternative for me is to eat one supper at 5 or 6 PM and to eat a large baked sweet potato with macadamia nuts and dried cranberries at 8 PM before going to bed at 9:30-10 PM. I drink about 90 ounces of water per day and at least one bottle of kombucha. I don't weigh myself frequently, but have held right at 185 pounds consistently since August 2011. I am 6'2" tall, so 185 leaves me on the thin side.

I started eating like this in May, 2010. A few weeks after starting, I began to perform better in the gym. My backsquats and deadlifts got heavier every week for a long time. The big thing that happened when I changed what I was eating was that I started sleeping better. With better sleep, I recovered faster and felt better. Because I felt better, I lifted heavier. As I got stronger, I began to believe I could get stronger and did. I tried intermittent fasting and eating in an 8 hour window for three months. I felt good and continued to train hard, but my sleep quality and quantity went down, so I stopped IF.
looks like a very satisfying meal plan ... i always forget about sauerkraut...i love sauerkraut...will get some tonite! thanks

I am trying to stick to a "diet" at the moment...leaving out food containing histamine. I got the hint from a doc, when I told him my symptoms. I feel that I am doing better leaving out nuts, bread and sugar/chocolate. I have lost a bit of weight during the last couple of weeks (not much), that was not my goal. Now I have a new sight on being on a diet...as a vegetarian, nuts were a source of calories and fat...
Is there anyone else around who ison a diet because of intolerances?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom