all posts post new thread

Nutrition certain kind of diet anyone?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

elli

Level 10 Valued Member
Hi all,
just wondering...do you follow a certain kind of diet?
Yes, might be a "girl question", but being into nutrition jobwise I am always interested in how orhers eat.
Did you notice any changes in appetite or eating habits since practicing kb?
Tell me about it!
:) gergirl

gergirl2-when I started using 32 my appetite went through the roof.I was like a hungry shark eating down everything. This resulted in lot of muscle and little fat gain.One arm swings with the 32 makes body super compensate for the overload.

Started a low carb diet last month.Lost flab while the posterior chain is still beefed up.

The conclusion is that big bells make our body stronger while forcing us to eat more.Those who want to stay small and weak should remain with small bells.

I usually water, coffee, and tea fast till after work then eat in a four hour period. Since my job is super physical (working on the railway) I am thinking either to start having some protein shakes at noon and last break then eating (effectively an eight hour eating period. Ps I don't like food during the day as I deel it bogs me down and doesn't go to well with swinging a sledge) or maybe pulsing the shakes at mid morning and mid afternoon. Then eating at night. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have been a follower of the Warrior Diet for some time - at least a decade.

Hunter, IMHO, you want to undereat, not fast, during your work day - an important distinction.

-S-

Thank you for your answers so far!
I would not recommend to skip any meals or/and just have one big meal.
Shakes with natural ingredients or at least a tb of coconut oil in your coffee at morning should be possible.
If you eat too little during the day, most people tend to overeat when having dinner, which is not good for your organs and digestion.
I expetimented quite a time with different kinds of eating habits...it is sooooo induvidual what is right and working (depending on your goals), and for woman some "diets" are just rubbish.
Kerp on posting, please:)

Thanks Steve. It has been recommended to me to have a small protein shake at each of my breaks and my main meal at night. I think I'll give it a try.

On a serious note. Changing eating habits is what matters in the long run. I mostly eat according to how my body feels. But i try to keep it clean and low on the carbs until after training.

gergirl2

I dont really know. Maybe thats what they call carb cycling. What ever its called, I do it because it keeps my blood sugar level stable during the day. If I eat carbs in the morning my blood sugar level rises and crashes after a few hours. Same with lunch. The more fatigued I am, the more I usually eat carbs.

Went through a 2-week period of eating strictly clean to stop cravings/feeling of hunger without actually being hungry, which comes from eating sugar.
Now i'm mainly eating clean and just when and how much my body tells me too.
(I have counted calories before, so i approximately know how much calories i get per meal just by looking at the size of e.g. a steak)

Tried intermitted fasting before, but although i can handle it very well i found that by eating a big breakfast (mostly protein+fat) i have much more energy during the day and during workout sessions.
Handle the carbs like Inunnguag, so most of them post-workout.
I drink one of my own shakes (just 400ml milk mixed with 200g curd, no protein powder etc.) in the morning and after my workout.
I don't believe in protein powders and other supplements and rather get my macros and micros from real food. Only thing i take from those is fish oil.

Since i hate vegetables i started juicing a couple of months ago to get atleast a good chunk of the vitamins etc. from them. For me the good thing about juicing is that an apple and a bit of ginger mixed in my juices makes every vegetable or grass tolerable in taste.

Since starting S&S i'm applying Eat Stop Eat to my diet, so it's basically the same but with one 24-36h peroid of fasting during the week. I never had a problem with not eating for an extended timeframe so it was easy to incorporate.
Lost 5Kg in 6 weeks, shirts get tighter around my arms+shoulders and pants are looser, so most of it must be fat.

I think that's all i can tell about my diet :)

Thanks again:)
I tried IF a few weeks and it did not do me any good. I needed more coffee and had more "binges" during the eating window and it felt like my cortisol level went crazy and hormones suffered. I am sceptic about this kind of diet for women...but that is just my experience.
I have always been a "clean" eater with some "cheats", vegetarian for about 22 years now, but during the last few weeks I developed an appetite for meat. My mind stills tells me not to eat meat...I am torn between my moral and appetite. Working out with kb, which feels quite archaic (?), might be the reason for my appetite, roooaaar *lol*.

Awhile ago someone mentioned the perfect health diet here on this forum which made me curious. After some digging and implementing I am very happy about it. Here's a summarization of it: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/

Please note I am not a professional nor am I affiliated with them in any kind of way.

I have read about the diet. Think it does make sense in some ways, but I do not believe in cutting out beans and all grains. But what works for one might be wrong for the other.
:)

Some great tips here. It really is about tailoring to the individual.I read the Warrior Diet recently and made a few adjustments. This is a typical day in work.

I have a coffee with about 200 grams of porridge with milk, yoghurt, fruit and honey in the morning.
An animal sourced snack mid-morning.
A strong coffee before my workout at lunch time.
Workout is about 35-40 mins.
Meat/Poultry/fish with vegetables after my workout.
Dinner is as above with rice/potato.
About an hour before bed a similar snack to the previous one.

2 days a week I cheat. I don't really keep track but I'll have a few treats throughout the day with whatever I fancy. Importantly I do still eat the same as my daily diet but the treats are additional. By eating like this I have steadily lost about a stone in 6 weeks. I've increased strength and fitness goals throughout.

I have fasted the odd day. I have a big breakfast and dinner. In between I head off into the wilderness to mountain bike or hike. I only drink a weak homemade energy drink of lemon, honey, salt and water. Strict fasting makes me weak and I wouldn't recommend it.

Everything in moderation but be careful when you moderate. Is it once a day, week, month, year or life!!!!

I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and told to lose some weight so that there is less tissue mass in my neck to constrict my airways at night (it doesn't seem to matter if the tissue is muscle or fat for this purpose). My body fat has been a stable 21% for about 3 years so there is definitely some fat to lose.

I am looking for an easy to apply diet which doesn't unduly interfere with the family's eating, so I am experiementing with two options, Tim Ferriss' slow carb diet and the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet.

After 2 weeks on the slow carb diet I found that I had gained 2kg even though my exercise routine hadn't particularly changed and the tightness of my clothes and my appearance were still the same. I have a feeling that I wasn't getting enough protein prior to starting slow carb and that adding lentils and beans to each meal simply supplied that protein and fuelled muscle growth.

I'm now trying a mixture of 5:2 and the principles of slow carb (almost completely removing white carbs and adding beans / lentils to each supper and lunch). I think 5:2 is easy to do and it seems to work, but it's too early to see its longer term effects yet. I did notice though that my strength during a workout the day after a 36 hour fasting period was definitely adversely affected.

In the past I have tried the Dukan diet (felt v hungry for 2 weeks, didn't lose any weight so gave it up) and a simple blood sugar management eating protocol (didn't feel hungry, lost 4 kg in 4 weeks).

Sleep apnea can interfere with the hormones which control hunger and blood sugar levels. It seems though that exercise can also have an impact. I feel that doing S&S with a heavy bell 5 times a week or ROP with 2 40 day type workouts on variety days might be too much for a body which is on a reduced calorie intake resulting in the body doing its best to maintain its reserves. Which leaves me with the dilemma of how to maintain my strength while losing fat and continuing to exercise. Perhaps less exercise (S&S 3 times a week with a lighter bell say) might actually help improve the chances of a diet working.

David - you've illustrated the issue with many a dieting protocol: how it fits into your lifestyle and family commitments. If the fundamental principle of a healthy diet is based on eating real food most of the time, then that of a negative energy balance if fat loss is a goal, it is framing it within your daily life that presents another challenge. A really easy eating template to follow is an Intermittent Feast, by Nate Miyaki. It is essentially a non-dogmatic paleo for athletes. Eat light in the day and feast on one meal a day with starch carbs as rice or potatoes. There is a breakdown of macros based on bodyweight if you want to use a more accurate measurement of food intake but I don't bother at all. Since Nate published the intermittent feast he has followed it up with other tweaks for other goals and pursuits, all of which are based on real food and how to adjust the eating plan within a template. Like the perfect health diet, the no nos are processed muck, notably grains and high omega6 processed oils. Although I don't eat for fat loss per se in anyway I used to. I switched by mindset to feast rather than fast and everything became a doddle. Really no planning involved. I have a crazy appetite despite my very average frame size, so sitting down for a family meal, the teenagers would sarcastically note 'not on your diet anymore then' as I tucked into enormous platefuls. When really I was eating less, in general. So it makes eating in a social setting so much easier as there is no focus on diet and deprivation, far from it and no awkward 'no thanks, I'm fasting' after your spouse has prepared a wonderful meal for you. It's a diplomatic diet, keeps everyone happy.

A really useful way to gain or maintain strength but lose fat is to create a negative energy balance but keep protein levels up at the same or more than pre dieting levels, so cut back on carb but keep fats the same and then carb re-feed every 4 to 7 days depending on your training levels ie go into a mild energy surplus. Very simple - in theory - to do following a Feast template. Protein and fat, with no or low carb in the day, veg and greens. Dinner is less fat, protein, veg and starch carb. If in negative, cut out or reduce the serving of carb. When on a refeed, munch away merrily on starch with a double serving whilst keeping everything else the same. If you are not training so much, go a lot easier on the starch or just keep it out all together and see how you feel for a while. Again, you could measure it all to be accurate or just go by 'eat a little less', or 'eat a little more'.

I went on a low carb paleo thing a few years back. The upside was fat adaptation, the downside social unrest at the dinner table. Actually the introduction of starch carbs made me lose more fat and restored family harmony. I just don't eat the bread, that's it, pretty much. I think going low carb for a while kickstarted my metabolism, it got me in a healthy state, settled blood sugar, hormones etc so I can, and do sometimes, fast if the situation arises or I just don't feel hungry but adding in starch made all the difference to my goals back then and just made meal times a lot, lot easier. So now I just make minor tweaks if I feel I've eaten too much/not enough. Generally I just don't think about it. Check out Nate Miyaki....Intermittent Feast. Hope that helps.

David, as I read your message, I think you're more concerned with maintaining strength than you need to be. You have a health issue that requires you to lose weight - make that your top priority and let your strength training take a back seat. Of course, try to stay strong but if you lose some strength in the process of improving your overall health, that's a fine trade-off, IMHO. You can resume strength training full throttle once your weight and your health are where they need to be.

Please also note that many people, me included, would give you two pieces of general diet advice: it takes three weeks before you adapt to a new eating plan. If you've tried something and felt crappy for two weeks then given it up, you may not have stayed with it long enough; many people make changes in their diet too drastically and fail as a result - don't go "cold turkey" into a new eating plan but rather try to, e.g., eat less during the day gradually.

Best of luck to you.

-S-

David, as soon as I got on a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea, weight loss became much easier; I could never get below 190 lbs until I went on the machine.

David, have you discussed your sleeping position with your doctor?

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom