all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Chalking a kettlebell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Blackhat1984

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi friends, was curious what's the best way to chalk a kb, my brands are rougue and I got other but not powder coated, don't mind the blisters but do want a better grip when I start getting sweaty

Most people chalk their hands and not the kettlebell, but I've seen people rub chalk all over the kettlebell handle, too. Personally I wouldn't chalk the kettlebell handle if it's at a gym or otherwise shared. If you chalk you hands, either loose or rub a chunk of it on the fingers and palm. Just experiment and see what works best for you.

With heavy 1H swings, I found that it really pays off to give some extra attention to the fingers. In your set-up, really get a good contact between your hand and the kettlebell with as much of your finger surfaces as possible. That will help you express more power as well as reducing the friction on your palm calluses.

I chalk my Komplex grips!

They work well for me for both swings and snatches when I go heavy, especially with overspeed snatch eccentrics ala Q&D.

I’ve only ever found chalk useful when I was snatching, but now that I’ve given that exercise up I don’t do need it anymore.

I did keep a cloth chalk ball in a freezer bag, which worked well to prevent messes on my carpet.

Interested in the subject since I've started the transition to 32kg in my S&S. Any thoughts on liquid chalk? Maybe won't be so messy like regular chalk.

I've just been putting a bit of chalk on my hands, and find that helps with one armed swings. I usually re-chalk once or twice during S&S.

Any thoughts on liquid chalk? Maybe won't be so messy like regular chalk.
My experience is that liquid is neater than powdered chalk but didn't feel as gritty. I've stared using charcol chalk and really like it. It seems a grippy as power and adheres to the hands better. I think the website is charchalk.com. It goes on damp and dries on your hands. I did my swings at the end of my workout last night, packed up, drove home, and started to get dinner and I realized my hands were dirty from some chalk still attached. I use the grey kind, I have some black but have not used it yet. Someone around here turned me onto it.

Chalk my palms and fingers, not the callouses at the base. Always wash hands immediately after working out so my hands don't dry out.

Interested in the subject since I've started the transition to 32kg in my S&S. Any thoughts on liquid chalk? Maybe won't be so messy like regular chalk.
Not messy at all, works really well. I use Liquid Fit Grip, and apply it directly to the handle of my bells when needed. I have found I prefer applying liquid chalk specifically on the bells, vs. onto my hands as it "coats" a little more thoroughly than traditional chalk... Which can make for a whole lotta friction in the palm during snatches and 1arm swings.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom