all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Changes to the forum/posting policy?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kettlebelephant

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey!
Did something about the posting policy change recently?
I just posted in a thread and got the message that my post isn't visible yet, because it's awaiting moderator approval.
Newer had this happen to any of my posts before.

Wanted to write @Steve Freides a PM, but thought it's a thing that happend to more people who might be as confused as I am, so I opened up this thread instead.

You are not "in moderation" so your posts should appear immediately - no idea why you're seeing that.

Could be a data corruption issue or something else. I will start a PM with you and include our developer to continue the conversation.

-S-

I haven't had that issue but I think the forum has been acting up a bit on me. It's like some posts haven't come up for me in time, or the alerts for them come up way later than they should.

Is it so that some posts require moderator approval? If they do, in which order will the posts appear in the thread? For example, if person A wants to write the 8th post in a thread but the post goes pending for approval and in the time the moderator approves it, there are for example three new posts in the thread. So will the post of person A appear as the 8th post or the 11th post?

Moderation of the StrongFirst forum is managed by the user. We are not set up so that specific content would trigger a post's being moderated. (That is possible but we have not sought to implement it.)

All new users have their first several posts moderated - I read each post and must approve each individually before it appears on the forum. This is primarily to prevent spam users from posting and, in that capacity, it works well. I vary the number of posts I check from time to time but it's generally a low number. There are also other steps for new users, e.g., registration must be confirmed via email.

A handful of users who are not new are placed on moderation from time to time. Who and for how long is an administrative decision; the reasons vary widely and out of respect for everyone, I ask that we avoid discussing individual cases here in this thread or elsewhere. Please use a private message for this.

In your example above, the post would appear as the 8th post, not the 11th, after it's approved.

Moderators of the forum do other things besides approve or disallow moderated posts - they can move a post or a thread to another forum section, edit an existing post, make a particular thread "sticky" in order to keep it at the top of a forum's list of threads, and I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting at the moment. There are other moderators and administrators besides me but I take care of most things here.

NB: My preferred way to handle any forum irregularities or inquire about forum policies that may be effecting you individually is to have you PM me directly.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom