all posts post new thread

Old Forum Charles Poliquin said kettlebell swings are bad?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kettledog

First Post
Hello Pavel,

I first found out about you and Strongfirst from Tim Ferriss and have been a big fan ever since. I've listened to many of your interviews and incorporated much of what you and Tim have recommended into my weekly workouts, specifically the kettlebell swing.

But just recently, Tim interviewed Charles Poliquin and he highly recommended NOT doing kettlebell swings saying it was bad for the back. You can listen to his interview here:

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/07/21/charles-poliquin/

I'm confused. I think both of you seem very intelligent and knowledgeable so I'm hoping there is a "right" way of doing the kettlebell swing since it has become a major part of my workout.

Thanks in advance,
KD

Cyrus,

Does he mention any reasons why they are bad for the back swings?

I think they can be problematic, when they are executed not properly. The most striking flaws coming to my mind is not to brace on the top (hyperextension), not to pull the shoulder blades back, not letting the bell coming back to your braced body (hinging far to early), to let the body twist in one hand swings, to much squatting.

As Dan John said:
"Coach, squatting hurts my knees!"
"It is not the squat that hurts your knees, it's the way YOU squat that hurts your knees!"

I for myself am an ardent swinger...

I thought his answer was very vague as he said studies showed this and didn't provide where to find said studies (unless links were these in the show notes?). Studies need to be looked at individually as most would have to be conducted on inexperienced practitioners to get a decent sample size, plus the time frame parameters of an average study would also most likely not allow for one to meet an SF swing standard if not already familiar with it, again the study would need to be presented to be discussed rather than just referenced.

As for the argument that "weightlifting must go vertical against gravity" (paraphrasing his original statement) the force plate studies conducted on KB ballistics show a very high output of force in this plane, after all the subjects were standing on a force plate. Just because the bell is moving more away from the center of mass does not change the force vector, it remains vertical. Given the scientific evidence presented by very credible researchers in this community, not to mention the vast amount of combined years of exeperience ALL producing similar results and conclusions I wouldn't give validity to his brief statements without analyzing the studies he's using to form his opinion.

http://www.scienceoftheswing.blogspot.com/?m=1

Scott Iardella links McGill's study showing benefits to back health in this blog:

http://www.strongfirst.com/optimizing-back-health-with-the-kettlebell-swing/

McGill is an absolute world health authority on back health. I find his enthusiasm for the swing very reassuring.

Cyrus, no exercise is perfect for everybody but the swing comes pretty close. At least when it is performed the way we teach it.

Over 14 years of my kettlebell certifications we have received countless reports of improved back health and performance. "Kettlebell Simple & Sinister" has been endorsed by #1 spine biomechanist in the world Prof. Stuart McGill and leading PT expert Gray Cook. Among SFG instructors you will find chiropractors, MDs, and PTs who not only coach the swing for performance but use it in rehabilitation.

Get cleared by a doc and enjoy all the benefits the swing can deliver.

Cyrus, you wrote, "I’m hoping there is a 'right' way of doing the kettlebell swing..."

If you are doing kettlebell swings as we teach them here at StrongFirst, and you are reaping the benefits, and you're not getting injured, carry on with what you're doing!

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom