all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Chasing S&S but my gym's heaviest KB is 55lbs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tim H.

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello all!

I am pursuing S&S but the heaviest kettlebell my gym has is 55 pounds. If things keep going the way the way they are I will have my one-arm swings and my get-ups with that weight under the 15 minute mark in 1.5-2 weeks.

I can’t afford to buy my own 32kg just yet. Does anybody have any ideas how to keep pushing forward from here?

I was thinking I could switch to dumbbells for the get-ups but I don’t know how to compensate for the swings.

How long until you can afford a 32?

IMO you have several options.
TGU:
- over time increase reps up to 10 per side (20 total)
- add 5sec (later 10-15sec) holds at every stage of the TGU
- work on consecutive reps (instead of 1 left then 1 right work up to 5 left then 5 right)
- use dumbbells
- a combination of those: e.g. Mon - more reps, Tue - holds, Wed - cons. reps, Thu - heavier weight dumbbell

Swing:
- add reps (up to 25 per set, this will help with grip to prepare for the heavier KB)
- double swings (e.g. 2x 16Kg will at least place the same amount of weight on the hips although you miss out on the anti rotational and grip benefits from 1Hs with a 32Kg)
- again a combination of boths
- not to replace the swings, but additional suitcase farmers walk with a 32Kg or preferably heavier dumbbell to prepare your grip and core for the antirotational forces and grip demand of the 32Kg

Start with ten sets of 1HS on Monday, 14 on Wednesday and 12 on Friday. Add two sets each training day. Do them EMOM until you get up to 44 minutes. This is an actual program but I can't find it for the life of me. On the 44 minute session you'll end up doing 440 swings. Hopefully you will have access to a bigger bell bu then. Best of luck. If you decide to go down this road let me know and I'll join you. In fact, I'll just start it next Monday.

Start with ten sets of 1HS on Monday, 14 on Wednesday and 12 on Friday. Add two sets each training day. Do them EMOM until you get up to 44 minutes. This is an actual program but I can't find it for the life of me.
You mixed up this From “Simple” to Serious Endurance and the swing part of this A Science-Based Plan to Prepare You for the SFG Level I and SFG Level II in your mind.
The first one goes up to 44min, but is 4x per week.
The second one uses the +2min progession you mentioned, is 3x per week, but you're not supposed to go over 30min total.

How long until you can afford a 32?

IMO you have several options.
TGU:
- over time increase reps up to 10 per side (20 total)
- add 5sec (later 10-15sec) holds at every stage of the TGU
- work on consecutive reps (instead of 1 left then 1 right work up to 5 left then 5 right)
- use dumbbells
- a combination of those: e.g. Mon - more reps, Tue - holds, Wed - cons. reps, Thu - heavier weight dumbbell

Swing:
- add reps (up to 25 per set, this will help with grip to prepare for the heavier KB)
- double swings (e.g. 2x 16Kg will at least place the same amount of weight on the hips although you miss out on the anti rotational and grip benefits from 1Hs with a 32Kg)
- again a combination of boths
- not to replace the swings, but additional suitcase farmers walk with a 32Kg or preferably heavier dumbbell to prepare your grip and core for the antirotational forces and grip demand of the 32Kg

Thanks! Those sound like some good variations. I’m probably looking at 5 weeks before I can order the new kettlebell and start training at home instead of at the gym.

Will I have to change my form while swinging two kettlebells together? My brain is telling me that my hinge is going to have to start earlier because the kettlebells will need more room but I’ve never tried it.

Thanks! Those sound like some good variations. I’m probably looking at 5 weeks before I can order the new kettlebell and start training at home instead of at the gym.

Will I have to change my form while swinging two kettlebells together? My brain is telling me that my hinge is going to have to start earlier because the kettlebells will need more room but I’ve never tried it.
You have probably figured this out; that the cost of a handful of kettlebells that will last you pretty much forever, will be a fraction of the cost of a gym membership.
And not to worry... 5 weeks is nothing at all in a lifetime of training.
Spend the time honing your form and technique...

You have probably figured this out; that the cost of a handful of kettlebells that will last you pretty much forever, will be a fraction of the cost of a gym membership.
And not to worry... 5 weeks is nothing at all in a lifetime of training.
Spend the time honing your form and technique...
I have noticed haha
Unfortunately I am locked into this membership until July but yes a year of membership fees and $100 start-up fee could have gotten me a pretty decent selection of kettlebells.

Hi everyone, just joined today. Not a long term solution, but I attached a 2kg disc to my kb with a short length of chain and a padlock through the handle. A little cumbersome to say the least, but worked fine for single arm kb press as long as I positioned the disc side away from me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom