So ChatGPT can do fitness program design:

But it take some training to do so.

Input:
make me a 4 day a week olympic weightlifting training program

Output:

Here is a sample 4-day per week Olympic weightlifting training program:

Day 1:

• Warm-up: 10-15 minutes of dynamic stretching and mobility exercises
  • Technique work: Snatch and clean and jerk technique drills, such as snatch balances and muscle snatches
  • Strength training: Squats (front, back, or overhead) and pressing (bench press, push press, or jerk)
  • Conditioning: 20-30 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio (cycling, running, rowing, etc.)
Day 2:

• Technique work: Snatch and clean and jerk technique drills, such as snatch pulls and clean pulls
  • Strength training: Deadlifts and pulling (bent over rows, pull-ups, etc.)
  • Conditioning: 20-30 minutes of high-intensity interval training (HIIT)
Day 3: Rest day
Day 4:

• Technique work: Snatch and clean and jerk technique drills, such as snatch and clean pauses and catch work
  • Strength training: Squats (front, back, or overhead) and pressing (bench press, push press, or jerk)
  • Conditioning: 20-30 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio (cycling, running, rowing, etc.)
Day 5:

• Technique work: Snatch and clean and jerk technique drills, such as snatch and clean drop and catch
  • Conditioning: 20-30 minutes of high-intensity interval training (HIIT)

Hmmm.

Not horrible for a bot, but 20-30 min of conditioning work after weightlifting practice isn't going to work well. So let's iterate:

Input:

make me a 4 day a week olympic weightlifting training program without conditioning

Output:

Day 1:

• Technique work: Snatch and clean and jerk technique drills, such as snatch balances and muscle snatches
Day 2:

• Technique work: Snatch and clean and jerk technique drills, such as snatch pulls and clean pulls

Day 4:

• Technique work: Snatch and clean and jerk technique drills, such as snatch and clean pauses and catch work
Day 5:

• Technique work: Snatch and clean and jerk technique drills, such as snatch and clean drop and catch

Better, but it's lumping all the technique work together.

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 4:

Day 5:

Let's try to see if we can get it smarter about separating all the technique work.

Input:

make me a 4 day a week olympic weightlifting training program without conditioning, and with 2 days of snatch practice and 2 days of clean and jerk practice

Output:

Day 1:

• Snatch technique work: Snatch balances, muscle snatches, snatch pulls
Day 2:

• Clean and jerk technique work: Clean and jerk pauses and catch work, clean pulls, jerk balances

Day 4:

• Snatch technique work: Snatch drops and catch, snatch pauses and catch work
Day 5:

• Clean and jerk technique work: Clean drops and catch, clean and jerk pauses and catch work

Oooh, getting closer. But I don't want to do presses the day before I jerk.

Input:

make me a 4 day a week olympic weightlifting training program without conditioning, and with 2 days of snatch practice and 2 days of clean and jerk practice, and pressing only on the same day as clean and jerk technique work

Output:

Day 1:

• Snatch technique work: Snatch balances, muscle snatches, snatch pulls
  • Strength training: Squats (front, back, or overhead)
Day 2:

• Clean and jerk technique work: Clean and jerk pauses and catch work, clean pulls, jerk balances
  • Pressing: Bench press, push press, or jerk
  • Day 3: Rest day

Day 4:
    • Snatch technique work: Snatch drops and catch, snatch pauses and catch work
    • Strength training: Squats (front, back, or overhead)
  • Day 5:
    • Clean and jerk technique work: Clean drops and catch, clean and jerk pauses and catch work
    • Pressing: Bench press, push press, or jerk

Not bad!

I'm curious to see if I can teach it how to do loading for sets, reps, RM, etc, next.

What are your fitness and programming experiences with Chat GPT?

It makes a pretty decent powerlifting cycle
Sure! Here is a traditional American powerlifting cycle that is typically 12 weeks long:

1. Week 1-4: Base Building
During this phase, you will focus on building a strong foundation for the rest of the cycle. You should perform compound lifts (such as squats, bench press, and deadlifts) with moderate to high reps (8-12) and moderate to high volume (3-5 sets). You should also incorporate accessory exercises to build strength in supporting muscle groups. This phase is meant to build muscle, endurance, and technique.

1. Week 5-8: Strength Phase
During this phase, you will focus on increasing your strength by performing compound lifts with lower reps (3-5) and higher intensity ( heavier weights). You should also continue to incorporate accessory exercises to further strengthen supporting muscle groups.

1. Week 9-12: Peak Phase
During this phase, you will focus on peaking for your powerlifting competition. You will continue to perform compound lifts with lower reps (1-3) and higher intensity (heavier weights), but you will also begin to taper your volume (number of sets and reps) in order to rest and recover before the competition. You should also continue to incorporate accessory exercises to maintain strength in supporting muscle groups.

It's important to note that this is just a general outline and that you should consult with a coach or experienced powerlifter to design a program that is tailored to your specific needs and goals. Powerlifting is a physically demanding sport, so it's important to listen to your body and make adjustments as needed to avoid overtraining or injury.
Not so much for an easy strength or soviet style routines though. I think the starting strength crowd got to it. It is all about 3-5x5 for everything.

Last edited:
I had a play. it was very interesting. after I asked it gave me a beginner and intermediate and an advanced kettlebell program with different exercises in each then I asked

"I can do 1 x 28kg kettlebell press can you give me a program to get me to 5 x 40kg press over 12 months"

....... and it gave me a program that started off with 3 sets of 8 - 12 reps of 28kg - so I told it to remember I could only do 1 rep at 28kg and it gave me a program starting with 3 sets of 1 rep all the way up to 3 sets of 1 at 38kg. Same routine every day just increasing the weight slightly every few weeks.

So I asked it to vary the routine by including Easy, Medium and Difficult days and it did that by changing the weights.

Then I asked it to vary reps and weights and difficulty and it understood that too.

Last edited:
Can you give me a program based on easy strength principles ?

Sure! The "easy strength" principles refer to a type of training program that emphasizes consistent, low-volume training with a focus on technique and consistent progress over time. Here is an example of an "easy strength" kettlebell press program that you can follow:

Am intrigued by this gadget ..............

I can not do pistol squats can you give me a progression

Sure! The pistol squat is a challenging exercise that requires a high level of strength, balance, and flexibility. Here is a progression that you can follow to work towards being able to perform pistol squats:

I tried asking it how to access chatgpt from outside the service area. It responded with this.
I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with a service called "chatgpt." Could you please provide more context or clarify your question?
I guess it isn’t self aware yet. That’s probably good.

But seriously setup a free aws server and vpn in to it. Front seats to the singularity!

It's getting smarter...

Input:

Design me a 12 week Olympic weightlifting program with undulating periodization, training on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday each week, and 4 rest days.

Output:

Sure! Here is a sample 12 week Olympic weightlifting program with undulating periodization:

Week 1-3: Accumulation Block

• Tuesday:
    • Snatch: 3x3 at 70%
    • Clean and Jerk: 3x3 at 70%
    • Front Squat: 3x5 at 70%
  • Thursday:
    • Snatch: 3x2 at 75%
    • Clean and Jerk: 3x2 at 75%
    • Back Squat: 3x5 at 75%
  • Saturday:
    • Snatch: 3x1 at 80%
    • Clean and Jerk: 3x1 at 80%
    • Deadlift: 3x5 at 75%

Week 4-6: Intensification Block

• Tuesday:
    • Snatch: 3x2 at 80%
    • Clean and Jerk: 3x2 at 80%
    • Front Squat: 3x3 at 80%
  • Thursday:
    • Snatch: 3x1 at 85%
    • Clean and Jerk: 3x1 at 85%
    • Back Squat: 3x3 at 85%
  • Saturday:
    • Snatch: 3x1 at 90%
    • Clean and Jerk: 3x1 at 90%
    • Deadlift: 3x3 at 85%

Week 7-9: Realization Block

• Tuesday:
    • Front Squat: 3x2 at 85%
  • Thursday:
    • Back Squat: 3x2 at 90%
  • Saturday:
    • Snatch: 3x1 at 95%
    • Clean and Jerk: 3x1 at 95%
    • Deadlift: 3x2 at 90%

Week 10-12: Transition Block

• Tuesday:
    • Front Squat: 3x3 at 80%
  • Thursday:
    • Back Squat: 3x3 at 85%
  • Saturday:
    • Deadlift: 3x3 at 85%

With a little more tweakery....

Input:

Design me a 12 week Olympic weightlifting program with undulating periodization, training on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday each week, and 4 rest days. Put front squats on Tuesday, overhead squats on Thursday, and back squats on Saturday. Remove deadlifts.

Output:

Week 1-3: Accumulation Block

• Tuesday:
    • Snatch: 3x3 at 70%
    • Clean and Jerk: 3x3 at 70%
    • Front Squat: 3x5 at 70%
  • Thursday:
    • Snatch: 3x2 at 75%
    • Clean and Jerk: 3x2 at 75%
    • Overhead Squat: 3x5 at 75%
  • Saturday:
    • Back Squat: 3x5 at 75%

etc.

This isn't half bad!

I'm not going to say it's great or custom tailored to me, but it's as good as some of the mediocre paid programs I've seen on places like Train Heroic.

This could have some interesting impacts on the fitness industry.

I told it also to:

Add upper body accessory work.

And it came back with:

Tuesday:
  • Accessory work: 3x8-12 reps of bench press, bent over rows, and tricep dips
Thursday:
  • Accessory work: 3x8-12 reps of lateral raises, front raises, and bicep curls
Saturday:
  • Accessory work: 3x8-12 reps of chin ups, dips, and lateral pull downs

Again, not bad....a decent balance of pushing and pulling.

Back
Top Bottom