all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Chess training - looking for advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pasibrzuch

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello,
Maybe it's a strange question to ask on this forum, but I perceive chess as a legitimate sport and want to approach it the way I approach my strength training. Also, I hate doing things chaotically and in a disorganized way, so I want to come up with a training schedule. That's why I'm asking this question on this forum - I'm looking for something like a GPP program, but for chess - a time-efficient protocol that will cover the basics.
My idea is such:
Day 1 - train endgames from "Silman's Complete Endgame Course"
Day 2 - solve some chess riddles from chesstempo.com
Day 3 - train some openings
Days 4-6 - repeat
Day 7 - play a game with a real person

What do you think about such a routine? I think it resembles a push-pull-legs template a little bit :) Will 30 mins per day be enough to make progress? Or maybe I'm trying to stretch the strength training metaphor too much and you cannot think of chess training in such a way?

My goal is improving my working memory and logical thinking (both are terrible). My chess level: I know, how to move pieces and I'm aware that it's about taking advantage of imbalances in my opponent's defense, but terrible at noticing them.
Also, if you have any resources you think I should go to, I'm open for recommendations

I like chess. I would download the chess app and start from there. Get some friends in on it. The chess riddles stuff definitely helped me.
I always try to pay attention when playing a computer or someone better specifically when they DONT make the moves I would make if I were them if that makes sense and take note of what they actually do.

I've only dabbled in chess, but there is a ton of benefit to putting minimal pieces on the board (king/pawn) and practicing. Helps you understand space, learn where to move, etc. Knowing this will help greatly. I've read, and with limited experience agree, against studying openings. Learn the most common 5-10 but once past that if you don't know how to use space it's useless.
Puzzles are fun but I didn't find they transferred to my learning.

I also think kind of knowing an opponent helps if you play w someone a lot but i doubt it’s transferable. For example. I played w someone who would take ANY piece they could. Helped me set myself up better with other pieces if I know they’d take one immediately.

I don't have any advice except a book recommendation: Josh Waitzkin's "The Art of Learning"

Personally I would suggest a few modifications:

1. If you've already purchased Silmans's Endgame book then it is pretty good. It's a bit verbose at times, so if you are studying for a set period of time, a bit of that time will be wasted reading inconsequential material. I personally favor Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual. Some people claim it is a bit difficult, but you can learn it in stages, as certain key lessons/positions are differentiated and should be learned first.

2. Solving chess tactics problems online can be good, but there are some pitfalls that make the habit less than helpful if you lose a bit of mindfulness. One word of caution: many end up just clicking/submitting a move when it seems it might be a solution, rather than truly calculating the position to it's conclusion. Instead of scheduling time for that, I would recommend a book series: Yusopov's school of chess excellence. In particular, setting up the positions on a chess board and taking time to solve them by writing down variations without moving the pieces as best you can. Even setting up the position can be practice of a sort: trying to remember the pawn structures and the piece set ups, and arranging the position on a board can really help your board visualization.

3. Instead of specifically training openings, you can get exposure to them from the books in Yusopov's series. Rather than remembering variations, get familiar with basic general ideas and then just play with opening positions to get a feel for them. All you need is to figure out how to get a playable position and then manage the middlegame.

4. As for schedule, probably doesn't matter too much if you split them up by days or split up your daily time into sections devoted to each. The most important part is probably taking the time to look at a position and work it in your mind without moving the pieces as best you can.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom