all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Chin ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Evans

First Post
So i've been doing Chin up negatives for the last 2 months and i dont see any improvement. At the moment i can do 3 sets of slow negatives and i train 4 days per week. Any advice to improve my chin up game?

Pavel’s Fighter Pull Up Program is excellent, and it works as well for
Chin Ups as it does for Pull Ups. In addition to the FPP, two exercises have helped me break through plateaus; Deadlifts and Bar Hangs. Both increase grip strength and endurance, and the grip is often the weak link in performing Pull Ups and Chin Ups.

So i've been doing Chin up negatives for the last 2 months and i dont see any improvement. At the moment i can do 3 sets of slow negatives and i train 4 days per week. Any advice to improve my chin up game?

The best way to progress are assisted reps. Ask you buddy to give you (light) assistance - grab your back from behind and push you up and forward. Do 3-5 sets of relatively easy 5s (and leave reps in the bank - e.g. you know you would be able do about 8 of such assisted reps). Do it 3 times/a week for a month, then try to do it without any assistance, and report first successful chinup.

@Evans, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Another idea you may wish to try - bar hangs. I have seen more than one person improve at pullups and chinups simply from, by GTG or other means, working on being able to hang from the bar longer.

-S-

Someone I coached to his first pull-up (overweight, ~30 y/o) did pretty much the same thing as you did.

We managed to "break through that barrier" by adding weight. If I remember correctly, he succeeded after training with about 10kg of additional weight at ~100kg BW.

in my experience, the best way to get solid chinups is to do row variations. I strongly suggest if you get a chance to get Foundation One. awesome progressions that'll help you build a stronger and be much more efficient in pulling. I hope this helps

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom