all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Chiropractic?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Didn't help me and their spot diagnosis was also about as wrong as could be. The advice I rec'd also did not pan out. Sure sounds like progress when they get your back to make all sorts of crunching noises.

I'm sure some are very good at what they do, but that was not my experience.

Didn't help me and their spot diagnosis was also about as wrong as could be...I'm sure some are very good at what they do, but that was not my experience.

Same here from my single course of treatment that was expensive and disappointing although I know people, very serious about their health and fitness, who rave about the assistance they've received from chiropractors

In my experience chiropractors comprise a huge range, from scam artist to the best medical professional you can imagine, which obviously makes it very hit and miss to find a good one. There are a lot of appointment churning rack and crack hustlers, and a lot of soft-headed new age voodoo priests, but also a lot of clear thinking skilled and dedicated professionals.

Also, IMO, a chiropractor is good to the extent that he or she is NOT invested in actual chiropractic adjustment as the main modality of treatment. I am very skeptical of most "alternative" or "complementary" health treatments and disciplines, and I think there is good reason to be skeptical of traditional chiropractic, and that this is something the chiropractic profession needs to come to terms with.

However, chiropractors are able to employ a very wide range of modalities, including everything a physical therapist or massage therapist can do, and have much more extensive medical training than either. So a good chiropractor can be a first line coordinator for general health (health care as opposed to "sick care"), referring out to appropriate MDs whenever indicated.

I think of it as analogous to Crossfit gyms. Are there Crossfit gyms where people are training smart, getting great instruction, and not getting injured doing stupid stuff? Yes (really!), but they're not the ones swimming in Crossfit Kool-Aid.

I went to the chiropractor pretty regularly when I was younger but eventually decided it wasn't working as a long term solution. They can realign you but that doesn't always address the cause of the problem.

"Chiropractic was invented by D. D. Palmer, Sep 18, 1895 when he adjusted the spine of a deaf man and allegedly restored his hearing (a claim that is highly implausible based on what we know of anatomy). Based on this one case, Palmer decided that all disease was due to subluxation: 95% to subluxations of the spine and 5% to subluxations of other bones."

source: Chiropractic

I've only been to one, but he was a great help overcoming an injury. I kept going back for tune ups. He's a cyclist like me, and up in Tahoe, he has a clientele of hard charging athletes, so he gets it. Too bad I'm no longer there.

What do you think of chiropractic?
I have been helped a great deal by chiropractic treatment. A little over 25 years ago I suffered a back injury in an accident. I was having some discomfort in my back and the MD said I could get an operation if it bothered me too much. I went to a chiropractor and he showed me the x ray. He showed me the spot were a vertebra was out of alignment. I got several treatments over the course of about 3 weeks and the pain was gone. I have occasionally gone back for a treatment when my back or neck was feeling a little tight or painful and the chiropractic treatment helped a lot.
It might not be the best option for your issues but the times I went it was very helpful.

What do you think of chiropractic?
I did forget to mention one point in my last response.
The doctor I visit for checkups and similar issues is an osteopath. He does chiropractic treatments. The last time I went to a visit I mentioned a spot on my back that was bothering me. He did a quick adjustment and it has not bothered me since. That was about 3 months ago. He did mention that heavy lifting could throw it back out of alignment again.

"Chiropractic was invented by D. D. Palmer, Sep 18, 1895 when he adjusted the spine of a deaf man and allegedly restored his hearing (a claim that is highly implausible based on what we know of anatomy). Based on this one case, Palmer decided that all disease was due to subluxation: 95% to subluxations of the spine and 5% to subluxations of other bones."

source: Chiropractic
People often times begin research with a faulty starting point or theory and still end up doing good work. For example, many scientists have accepted the deeply flawed and untrue theory of evolution but they still do some good work.

People often times begin research with a faulty starting point or theory and still end up doing good work. For example, many scientists have accepted the deeply flawed and untrue theory of evolution but they still do some good work.

I guess they've accepted it because there is some evidence to back it up but even though we are still far from complete understanding.

What evidences do the opposite views have?

IMO @Steve W. is spot on.
There's a big variety.
My go-to guy is a physical therapist who's also an osteopath. He has helped me and especially my mother to great extent.
He doesn't use 100% chiropractic treatments, but sees the body as one piece and mixes up things from different schools.
Yes there is some soud-making "bone-pushing" (for lack of a bettter word), but also a lot of soft-tissue work and subsequent strength exercises that he wants you to do at home.

As an example:
About 6 or 7 years ago I was doing crossfit and we had a WOD with super high rep overhead squats. I didn't feel discomfort during the WOD, but a few minutes afterwards my right arm went numb and lost all of its strength. I couldn't even lift a 2Kg weight anymore.
I most likely pinched a nerve in my shoulder and wanted to go to the PT I mentioned above, but it was saturday and they were closed. So I went to a regular physician instead, who immediately sent me to the ER of the nearby hospital, because the numb arm was a sign of a stroke in his eyes.
They kept me there for over a week doing all kinds of tests (MRI, CT scan, electro stimulation, a fu...ing lumbar punction...).
One younger doc even told me it was most likely multiple sclerosis...:eek:
In the end they couldn't find out what it was, but could rule out stroke, MS and all other kinds of neural diseases or dysfunctions.
Up to this day I still believe it was just a pinched nerve...
The thing is if I had to put percentages to rate the state of my arm I'd say that after the WOD it went down to <5%. Over the course of the next 7-8 days when I was in the hospital it slightly improved on a daily basis and when I left the hospital I'd say it was at about 30%.
I went from the hospital straight to my PT. He massaged and moved around my shoulder for about 15min and boom! it was instantly back to 80% and one day later back to 100%.

I think the field of physiotherapy and chiropractic has much crossover...many of them do similar techniques (albeit call it differently for insurance billing purposes), both can certify in things like ART, so it really all depends. I have one chiro (an SFG no less!) and one physio I visit who both lift, are athletic and understand through first hand experience what lifting and training does to a body, are both highly motivated, genuinely curious and work hard to stay on top of their game. The only bad part is the chiro will be retiring soon and I need to find a replacement!

We need to note that osteopathy and chiropractic are significantly different things according to my understanding.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom