all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Chopfit -- Fitness Axe

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
As someone who lives in the woods and splits wood (and uses a machete) on a regular basis, my knee-jerk reaction to this make-believe simulated hatchet was derision.

But maybe there is an untapped market of urbanites just waiting to unleash their inner lumberjack.

With plastic hatchets.

Chopping in the air. And doing push ups with them.

Okay, I'll try to stop being so snarky and judgmental.

Is this worthwhile or silly?

41hQ1Qx1hhL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

1670106805007.jpeg

Last edited:
There is always some virtue in bringing your attempt to help your fellow man forward into the market. However silly it may seem.

There are few endeavors which more closely resemble putting ones money where their mouth is.

During the pandemic I looked into these, then just bought four pound dead blow hammers and ran the exercises with them. I didn’t find the workouts fun and stopped before I could say if there was any benefit.

The dead blow hammers have come in useful around the house tho lol.

I think your derision was warranted.

My father bought some fancy Scandinavian axe for chopping wood, and while it was super sharp, lightweight and ergonomic, splitting hardwood is splitting hardwood and I’m glad that…

1.) I don’t visit often enough to chop wood often
2.) they bought a hydraulic log splitter

As someone who lives in the woods and splits wood (and uses a machete) on a regular basis, my knee-jerk reaction to this make-believe simulated hatchet was derision.

But maybe there is an untapped market of urbanites just waiting to unleash their inner lumberjack.

With plastic hatchets.

Chopping in the air. And doing push ups with them.

Okay, I'll try to stop being to be so snarky and judgmental.

Is this worthwhile or silly?

41hQ1Qx1hhL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

View attachment 19913

Hard pass.

Rouge sells a sledgehammer for $170...
So who knows, if the right functional fitness instagrammer gets behind it, it could take off.

I'm very surprised that their website did not lean into the "lumbersexual" aesthetic. Or is that trend over with already?

Rouge sells a sledgehammer for $170...
So who knows, if the right functional fitness instagrammer gets behind it, it could take off.

I'm very surprised that their website did not lean into the "lumbersexual" aesthetic. Or is that trend over with already?
Oh those poser people. They just make me laugh. It's so obvious they haven't worked a labour job in their life.

Can't see it being better than a mace workout. One thing that I do think has potential is using a staff. Ronda Rousey has a really interesting dynamic warmup in this video.

I got a tip from this forum to lift the staff behind your back with palms facing forward (opposite of shoulder dislocates) very good.

I could see a fun workout with a jo staff using it like a staff or spear for lunges, cossacks, etc. Good wrist mobility exercises. Forearm strength rotating it etc.

Can't see it being better than a mace workout. One thing that I do think has potential is using a staff. Ronda Rousey has a really interesting dynamic warmup in this video.

I got a tip from this forum to lift the staff behind your back with palms facing forward (opposite of shoulder dislocates) very good.

I could see a fun workout with a jo staff using it like a staff or spear for lunges, cossacks, etc. Good wrist mobility exercises. Forearm strength rotating it etc.

The staff routine looks pretty approachable to me, except for the 1 legged part.

The rest looks pretty benign, although you'd have to learn some choreography.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom