all posts post new thread

Barbell Chris Thibaudeau's Neuro Training Type

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Re-read the work of CT. He mentions noting beat the hard work, but there are more than one way to work hard. That is the first idea about neurotype training. It's not an excuse for lame work.
And he never mentions that if something doesn't work for him it means it is useless.

And also, there is nothing wrong to find an enjoyable program. Even the C type of people like Pavel Tsatsouline or Dan John had mentioned about that.

Re-read the work of CT. He mentions noting beat the hard work, but there are more than one way to work hard. That is the first idea about neurotype training. It's not an excuse for lame work.
And he never mentions that if something doesn't work for him it means it is useless.

And also, there is nothing wrong to find an enjoyable program. Even the C type of people like Pavel Tsatsouline or Dan John had mentioned about that.
I definitely pegged myself as a c-type of person.

It's interesting. I don't feel like I gravitate towards either type. I dont feel like they describe me.

But I do agree it helps if one enjoys what they are doing. For example, I gravitate more towards American style lifting vs Eastern style. For example: I would rather have 1 full squat training session per week vs a 4 or 5 days of high frequency training.

Sometimes in discussions like these, like intensity Vs volume, whether it's due to neurotransmitters or preference or whatever, some have an expectation that there is a constant best way to do things. There is not.

I like squatting once a week. I like squatting every day. I like squatting heavy once a week and squatting every day. What I don't like is not squatting.

Perhaps Neurotyping plays a roll in more advanced athletes' programming, but beginners/intermediates could do arguably just as well (if not better) with a proven "cookie-cutter" routine. There's also the vanity hook in such categorizations. Nevertheless, it's an interesting approach and apparently works.

a proven "cookie-cutter"
There is not only one cookie-cutter program. There are many. And many of them are quite opposite to each other when we look from outside. I think with the knowledge of neurotransmitter, we can choose for ourself the suitable programs; and through that we understand more about the same principles inside those programs

There is not only one cookie-cutter program. There are many. And many of them are quite opposite to each other when we look from outside. I think with the knowledge of neurotransmitter, we can choose for ourself the suitable programs; and through that we understand more about the same principles inside those programs

With all due respect, I wasn't alluding to there being a singular approach, or that any approach was more effective than the rest, rather presenting the argument that the majority of beginner/intermediate gains (even advanced?) can be made without worrying about details like neurotransmitter profile. However, if such things float your boat, then obviously there's nothing wrong with exploring it. Freedom, baby!

@Don Fairbanks clearly understands marketing! (package the "beautiful and unique snowflake" concept and prescribe healthy nutrition and exercise)

Well I'm all of them all of the time and none of them some of the time.

So only 5 types. What about 12?

You a Libra you say? Well, you're all about being balanced, alternate between fast and slow for best results.
Taurus? Way to go Taureans. You, the raging bull, can lift as heavy and as hard as you want.
Gemini - there's 2 of you! Double the pain. Go twice as hard as anyone else. Resilient and robust that you are.
Cancer - sensitive and caring being born with an abundance of the neurotransmitter serotonin enjoy giving a massage....you'll get a good workout too for your thumbs. Careful with RSI!
Leo - roar like a lion. Get on the floor and crawl like stalking your prey.
Virgo - efficient and organised. Check with your coach if it's ok to bring your spreadsheet to class.
Scorpio - passionate with a zest for life. Bootcamp for you everyday.
Sagitarius- multi-tasking extraordinaire. Do everything. Variety is the spice for your life.
Aquarius- a new day, a new you. Try yoga with a barbell whilst paddle boarding blindfold. Go for it. Change the world.
Pisces - empathetic and a lover of nature. Go outside. Wild water swimming is a gift from the heavens!
Capricorn - dependable and disciplined...ever thought of an ultra marathon?
Aries - a confident leader. Whatever you do people will follow. Start a new trend, be a coach. It's written in the stars.

....pretty easy to categorise based on broad generalisms.

Literally made up bollocks.
In case you wonder why I know the zodiac, it's due to astronomy and not astrology. I appreciate a good conjunction though.

So categorizing by zodiac....it will be right some of the time.
So it's whether or not it is considered light fluffy fun or objective truth or a reasonable valid template for basing decisions on.

Is neuro-typing really any different? It's more science-y but does that make it more or less authentic?
For me, it's less. It's bollocks.

But it's bollocks with a certain appeal...an appeal to an audience to put a spin on an idea. And that's fine, just there's no need to assert scientific value to something where none exists.

But we are where we are. Plenty of it about.

Enjoy the weekend.

With all due respect, I wasn't alluding to there being a singular approach, or that any approach was more effective than the rest, rather presenting the argument that the majority of beginner/intermediate gains (even advanced?) can be made without worrying about details like neurotransmitter profile. However, if such things float your boat, then obviously there's nothing wrong with exploring it. Freedom, baby!

@Don Fairbanks clearly understands marketing! (package the "beautiful and unique snowflake" concept and prescribe healthy nutrition and exercise)
I'm sure Mr. CT is an asset to his students. Problem is I knew what all that stuff is in order to type it.

Gentlemen,

Just a reminder that while we may not agree to it, doesn't mean we need to throw shade on it..

IMHO, there are some ideas we can learn from as teaching and progressing a type A personality is different from a very shy and neurotic individual

Just a reminder that while we may not agree to it, doesn't mean we need to throw shade on it..
I second what @Mark Limbaga is saying. @kennycro@@aol.com posted about something of potential interest, and in one of the earlier replies, mentioned that he had gone "to the source" to post some questions and get some answers. All this is good.

I think we've covered what ground there is to be covered here. Two posts removed, and thread closed.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom