all posts post new thread

Barbell Christian Thibadeua

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Patrik Novák

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi everybody...
Iam do for long time kettlbells programs like S&S and A+A its for me like breath and butter.

When I started seriously thinking about my Strenght training about 9 years back I put away Barbell exercises...like heawy back squats and heawy Deadlifth or Rows and Press ...
My body lose some muscle definetely but for my job (military) IT was good ...

Now I have more mobile body and resilience joinths and tendons but I want gain some weight and some pure Strenght ...

My point is that kettlbell no doubt IS excelent tools for many types od training but Iam Really think that Barbell is still king for Strenght and hypertrophy.

I started read about Christian Thibadeua programs and want ask you what you think about his Cluster training ?
Or are here someone who succesfully combine kettlbell and Barbell for Strenght and hypertrophy without firing CNS?
Thanks appreciate IT

Beat
Pat rick

Hi everybody...
Iam do for long time kettlbells programs like S&S and A+A its for me like breath and butter.

When I started seriously thinking about my Strenght training about 9 years back I put away Barbell exercises...like heawy back squats and heawy Deadlifth or Rows and Press ...
My body lose some muscle definetely but for my job (military) IT was good ...

Now I have more mobile body and resilience joinths and tendons but I want gain some weight and some pure Strenght ...

My point is that kettlbell no doubt IS excelent tools for many types od training but Iam Really think that Barbell is still king for Strenght and hypertrophy.

I started read about Christian Thibadeua programs and want ask you what you think about his Cluster training ?
Or are here someone who succesfully combine kettlbell and Barbell for Strenght and hypertrophy without firing CNS?
Thanks appreciate IT

Beat
Pat rick
@Harald Motz does this, combining it with Q&D principles.

I've been mixed mode, using both barbells and kettlebells since I first started using kettlebells.

I was a weightlifter for years before I started using kettlebells.

I use both every week, often times both in the same workout.

Re: cluster training

Nothing against him, but Christian Thibadeau didn't invent cluster training / cluster sets. They've been well known for a while.

I use cluster training as part of competition prep.

I do not use them as part of off-season / GPP cycles as the recovery cost is high.

That being said, this season I've switched from cluster training to velocity-based-training and find it to be much more sustainable and steady in terms of hitting totals, as well as more objective from a data and psychological point of view.

Velocity-based training has a similar objective as cluster training, to increase wattage / power, but the data provided is much better.

Last edited:

Seriously I am into cluster training since February and use it on a daily basis.

My lifts of choice are deadlifts (hex bar and regular bar) barbell press, double clean and press. I might stay with the barbell press for some weeks (worked up to a pr of 90kg @ 85kg)....or clean and press for some. With the deadlift I use hex bar dl (with different deficit, with or without rubber attached, regular dl, jefferson dl for providing variety on the lift)

I got after a few weeks on the double C&P (lots of single cluster @ 2x40kg) to a pr of 2x44kg @85kg:

If you swipe you see the hr graph with description of the session, basically the q&d 044 template.

an example of heavy push pressing with the 044 template.

Clustering can be autoregulated nicely. Usually I go "on the 30 sec" for a single....a cluster might be 3-5 singles...rest 2-4. I can make the last rep(s) as 'grindy as I want to have it.

For the last six weeks or so I like doing dl in the above mentioned varieties and single bell pressing:

I start with one dl, on 30 sec one (or two when usibg a lighter bell) press left 30 sec later press right. 30 sec later a dl and so on - working on the 30 sec throughout. 7 to 12 or so cycles of that. Finished with 5 - 10 abwheel rollouts. That is my current minimal daily summer training regime.

Seriously I am into cluster training since February and use it on a daily basis.

My lifts of choice are deadlifts (hex bar and regular bar) barbell press, double clean and press. I might stay with the barbell press for some weeks (worked up to a pr of 90kg @ 85kg)....or clean and press for some. With the deadlift I use hex bar dl (with different deficit, with or without rubber attached, regular dl, jefferson dl for providing variety on the lift)

I got after a few weeks on the double C&P (lots of single cluster @ 2x40kg) to a pr of 2x44kg @85kg:

If you swipe you see the hr graph with description of the session, basically the q&d 044 template.

Clustering can be autoregulated nicely. Usually I go "on the 30 sec" for a single....a cluster might be 3-5 singles...rest 2-4. I can make the last rep(s) as 'grindy as I want to have it.

For the last six weeks or so I like doing dl in the above mentioned varieties and single bell pressing:

I start with one dl, on 30 sec one (or two when usibg a lighter bell) press left 30 sec later press right. 30 sec later a dl and so on - working on the 30 sec throughout. 7 to 12 or so cycles of that. Finished with 5 - 10 abwheel rollouts. That is my current minimal daily summer training regime.

Yeah thanks Harald you look great...

My main focus for next few months is gain Strenght and weight because my new position in military reguiere that...

So far Iam do A+A with medium-heawy Bell (40kg) but Iam Really feel that old

Thanks Harald for your answer...

So far I Only doing A+A with medium-heawy Bell (40kg) but I feel that I need again do some old School exercises like SQUAT, Deadlifth and Presses with Barbell espacially now when I need increase my pure Strenght for my new position in military .

I feel that I have good Working capacity thanksfully heawy snatches but my Strenght on mat Are not enought for bigger guy with which Iam train in service...

But I look for program which dont do me sore and weak but something effective minimalist and Cluster look like IT.
Appreciate IT
Best

Pattick

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom