all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Christmas wish list

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

FinlayB

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello

Always a new skill to learn in kettlebell training.

For me my wish would be to do heavy windmills and later heavy bent press.

Working slowly toward that goal.

What do you wish for?

(I realise wish is a little bit of a weak work, but trying a Christmas theme. What I really mean is what is your training goal for next year)

CnJ for reps with double 32. a single snatch with double 32. few presses with double 32. walk through the wall

Since now I am using the next few months to take it easy..

Work back to being able to perform KB berserk with 28s and 32s but nudge the volume up by 5-10%

S and s swing standard with the 36

Total tension complex with 28s going up to 5

36kg getup 5 consecutive reps per side

Harald Motz' pressing prowess

For a moment I thought that was the title of a book. I'd buy it.

I don't really have any KB goals for the moment. Maybe being able to do 40kg get-ups without feeling as though the bones in my wrist are being ground into powder.

A couple of wishes for the next year.

1. cycle through "Dry Fighting Weight"
2. TGU with the 40kg
3. cycle through ROP

For 2018?
Simple-I can use a 32kg but I can't "own" it. I'm going to try the standard and see how I do though.

For 2019?
-Simple-It will happen.
-ROP standard. If I loose 13lbs, it will be the 36kg, otherwise it will be the 40kg (yikes!).

@FinlayB I wish you all the best for you for 2019. Keep us up-to-date on your progress!

This year I started using 32 kg for my A+A snatches. It made me very happy, since 32 kg is one of the "big boy" kettlebells. I plan on transitioning to 36kg for my A+A snatches sometime this next year. I expect that to make me very happy as well, since that's half my bodyweight. I think it will be a good year. I would also like to be able press 36 kg for a double, which may or may not happen after I start snatching it.

@Mark Limbaga I will most likely use 24kg for both. I do not own any bells between the 24 and 32, so I might be a little "light" for DFW. DFW is what I plan to start with in January, based on how that goes, I may utilize the 24's for the ROP, or adjust as needed. I will probably not do the ROP until some time in the fall.

Last edited:
I'm finishing up Geoff Neupert's the Up and Over which is proving to be a nasty little workout in week 8.

Simultaneously, I'm doing a 7k swing Getup challenge. This is an oldie but a goodie.

Do 1 getup for each day of the week. So, today, on 12/6 it's 6 getups on each side
For swings, break it down, 1k week 1, 1500 week 2, 2000 week3 2500 week 4
4 amnesty days. 29, 30 and New Years Eve, just getups. GULP

I also would like to be down to 185 lbs. I'm at 191/192 now and the diet has been locked in for about a week.

I'm finishing up Geoff Neupert's the Up and Over which is proving to be a nasty little workout in week 8.

Simultaneously, I'm doing a 7k swing Getup challenge. This is an oldie but a goodie.

Do 1 getup for each day of the week. So, today, on 12/6 it's 6 getups on each side
For swings, break it down, 1k week 1, 1500 week 2, 2000 week3 2500 week 4
4 amnesty days. 29, 30 and New Years Eve, just getups. GULP

I also would like to be down to 185 lbs. I'm at 191/192 now and the diet has been locked in for about a week.
Good gravy! So you're say by the end of the month, you'd be doing 31 GUs in a day?! What size bells are you using for your swings and GUs? What kind of swings are you doing? The swing portion sounds like a ramp up into the type of volume you'd expect for the DJ 10,000 swing challenge which I believe is usually 2H swings @24kg

Around Thanksgiving, I just did 10000 swings in 10 days. Used mostly a 25 kg but also used a 28kg, 32kg and a 40kg

For getups, I'll use mostly a 32 until we get past the 15 days. Nothing lower than a 24kg. I hadn't done a TGU with a 40 in a while, but got one on both sides yesterday. They were strong, but it was post another workout and I was fatigued. Since there are only 6 today, I'll see how far I can get with the 40.

Once we get over 20 a day it will be mostly 28 and 25.

I'm a bigger fan of 2 hand swings than 1. Long sets of 1 hand swings aggravate the sacrum in my back. So mostly 2. When I did the 10000, it was 90% 2 hand

Around Thanksgiving, I just did 10000 swings in 10 days. Used mostly a 25 kg but also used a 28kg, 32kg and a 40kg

For getups, I'll use mostly a 32 until we get past the 15 days. Nothing lower than a 24kg. I hadn't done a TGU with a 40 in a while, but got one on both sides yesterday. They were strong, but it was post another workout and I was fatigued. Since there are only 6 today, I'll see how far I can get with the 40.

Once we get over 20 a day it will be mostly 28 and 25.

I'm a bigger fan of 2 hand swings than 1. Long sets of 1 hand swings aggravate the sacrum in my back. So mostly 2. When I did the 10000, it was 90% 2 hand
Adaptation-wise, are you expecting this to give you a metabolic/conditioning effect and maintain strength and gain strength? How did you feel after the 10k in 10 days? I've seen that challenge on T-Nation.

Adaptation-wise, are you expecting this to give you a metabolic/conditioning effect and maintain strength and gain strength? How did you feel after the 10k in 10 days? I've seen that challenge on T-Nation.

Right now, I have the metabolic effect doing More Kettlebell Muscle, plus playing basketball. I need to take off 10 lbs. I feel that a good volume of swings 240-300/day will help that. The getups will help maintain strength for the press while also help with movement and conditioning.

Most importantly, I think, (knock on wood) I have my diet locked in. Doing a slow carb and cutting out breads , white flour and fruit.

The 10k in 10 days, I do once a year. It's BORING, and takes about 70-75 minutes. I did no other workouts. I put the MKM program aside for 10 days.

First 2 days, developed a blister on the outside of my right ring finger, I had hot spots on the inside of the middle finger knuckles. and my hamstrings were sore. I taped up the finger and by day 5 had no issues. Used lots of Cornhuskers lotion to soothe my hands.

By days 8 and 9, sets of 40-50 swings with a 25kg bell were easy. I lost about 1.5 lbs., remember this is during Thanksgiving week which was an eating and drinking free for all from Wednesday-Saturday. It does work, I did feel like I put some muscle on.

It's the perfect challenge if you're about 2 weeks out from going to a beach vacation and need a shock cycle.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom