all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Chromebooks - good, bad, and if good, which?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Chromebook - does a chromebook run anything other than Chrome?

-S-
Yes, Linux can easily run alongside Chrome. If you google the procedure you'll find lots of info. I have a CB being delivered tomorrow. I will install Linux on it and report to you if you'd like.. May take a few days though

The reason I got a Chromebook is that I'm an experienced Chrome user - early adopter. I refuse to buy another machine from the Evil Empire so long as I can help it, and I don't feel like affording the Mac I really want while paying college tuition. I am, so far, very happy with my $110 investment.

-S-

I refuse to buy another machine from the Evil Empire so long as I can help it
To me, Google, Apple, and Microsoft are more similar in their evilness than different, in both degree and in kind. They are are all evil empires, but I do hold my nose and use products from all three companies.

Facebook, however, I refuse to have anything to do with.

BTW, although it has some frustrating limitations compared to a full computer, and is very locked into the Google ecosystem, I MUCH prefer my Chromebook to my iPad or any other tablet, and it can overlap with a full computer for many tasks.

To me, Google, Apple, and Microsoft are more similar in their evilness than different, in both degree and in kind. They are are all evil empires, but I do hold my nose and use products from all three companies.

Facebook, however, I refuse to have anything to do with
+++++++1

Steve,

The only downside I’ve found with chrome books is the lack of hard drive space and computing memory. Granted when I do school work I also have 12 tabs open for research, ebooks, and online board posts. So depending on how much you multitask it can bogg down the system a bit. But I’m confident you’ll be happy with your purchase.
-WF

The reason I got a Chromebook is that I'm an experienced Chrome user - early adopter. I refuse to buy another machine from the Evil Empire so long as I can help it, and I don't feel like affording the Mac I really want while paying college tuition. I am, so far, very happy with my $110 investment.

-S-
The new Macbook pro updates they recently made are rather sexy :)

Chromebook - does a chromebook run anything other than Chrome?

-S-
Hey Steve, so I got my CB today and installed Crouton Linux on it. If your not into spending time learning and playing and learning a new OS then Chrome OS should work well for you especially if you enable the Play Store. I wouldn't bother with anything else... It's all the same, Linux, Android, Apple... More alike than different OS's

Steve,

The only downside I’ve found with chrome books is the lack of hard drive space and computing memory. Granted when I do school work I also have 12 tabs open for research, ebooks, and online board posts. So depending on how much you multitask it can bogg down the system a bit. But I’m confident you’ll be happy with your purchase.
-WF
They gave me 100 Gb Google Drive storage with a recent purchase I think.. to keep the local drive clean of clutter..

Last edited:
They gave me 100 Gb Google Drive storage with a recent purchase I think.. to keep the local drive clean of clutter..
Bret,

I got that too with my purchase. But since chrome OS is mainly an online ordeal, it can be a pain when I’m in places with no WiFi and can’t access my google drive. But don’t get me wrong, I love my chrome book. I’m actually looking at upgrading my current one.

Bret,

I got that too with my purchase. But since chrome OS is mainly an online ordeal, it can be a pain when I’m in places with no WiFi and can’t access my google drive. But don’t get me wrong, I love my chrome book. I’m actually looking at upgrading my current one.
That is a pain, luckily thumb drives have gotten pretty cheap, the only downside is losing one, and I guess another would be remembering to do back-ups.. which I'm terrible at remembering.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom