all posts post new thread

Chronicles of Becoming a Man

JamesPTA

Level 7 Valued Member
Funny title considering I’m creeping up on 36 years before I can call myself a man.

I am a 35 year old father of 2 boys (5 and 7). I am 5’11”at 190 lbs. I would be lying if I said my goal was not GPP but it is. These boys are very energetic and I want to keep up with them. My main goal is to achieve the ROP goals of 1/2 body weight and 200 snatches in 10 minutes with the 24. After that it’s Double Kettlebell Wonderland wherever that may lead

I am doing this the smart way and started with S&S. I’m currently in my 4th week. I have met the timed goals with the 24 and have started to incorporate the 32. Today and tomorrow’s work is as follows at week 4:

GS:3x5 with 32 (halos with 20)
1HSw: 24, 32,32,24,24
TGU: 24,32,32,24,24

My goal is to achieve all sets with the 32 as close to the timed recommendations as I can before moving onto ROP.

Recovery following sets with the 32 are less than ideal, but testing with the 24 was easy. Perhaps I need a 28 but I like the idea of large jumps in weight. I will proceed with patience and strength.

I tested presses tonight C&P x 8 strong and stronger side with the 24. This will be my ROP weight when I get to it. 32 is at 1.

I am a Physical Therapist Assistant and I have always enjoyed how the kettlebell teaches you to move under load versus the other way around. Even before I knew of Pavel’s programs, I’ve had my patients perform bridges, goblet squats and halos to improve functional mobility and I have become more than obsessed with the StrongFirst articles dedicated to human movement and getting my patients stronger, fitter, and far away from re-injury.

Keep Strong

Last edited:
4/29/19: Simple and Sinister

GS: 24, 32, 24
1HSw: 24, 32,32,24,24 :)20 on/35: off)

Very crisp on the swings, as well as breathing. Recover still not ideal. may resort back to EMOM. Also finished with 2 rounds of crawling at 16kg BU carries.

4/30/19: Simple & Sinister

1HSw: 24, 32,32,24,24 (20 seconds on/ 35 seconds off)

Improved recovery this session with the talk test, but dripping profusely this morning. Also Had to focus on setting the grip just right with the 32 during swings. Hand care will have take place tonight. May have to miss tomorrow's practice as 1) Wife has an important job interview early in the morning and 2) Oldest son turns 7 tomorrow.

Hey bud. Happy birthday to the kid. Good luck to the wife. And congratulations on wanting to better yourself! A question. The kettles. How are they effecting your grip strength? In the old days my grip strength always held me back and I’m wondering if a bell would help there. Thanks!

@Writefast my grip strength has progressed greatly with kettlebells. Since increasing the volume with a heavier bell, I just have to adjust the hands slightly to reduce wearing on the calluses. Carries and bottom's up drills have suited me very well for grip strength, now I just need better grip ENDURANCE.

@Writefast my grip strength has progressed greatly with kettlebells. Since increasing the volume with a heavier bell, I just have to adjust the hands slightly to reduce wearing on the calluses. Carries and bottom's up drills have suited me very well for grip strength, now I just need better grip ENDURANCE.
Grip endurance will come with time, just do what you do. And if you are looking for something more I would recommend Dead hang on a bar.

5/2/19: Simple & Sinister

1HSw: 24, 32,32,24,24 (20 seconds on/ 35 seconds off)

Excellent on the recovery. When I get ready to test for time, I may have to be quick to wipe the sweat off...which has always been the case for me. My swings are feeling so crisp that I have been thinking about taking the bridges out of the warm up.

The first set of TGU with the 32 on the Left (stronger side), I did not engage my lat enough, and for some reason guided the bell more toward the right side, and had to release the bell safely. My 2nd attempt and 2nd set went perfectly, however. If the rest of this week's practice went as well as the rest of the week, I may condense the rest by 5-7 seconds.

I always like to test myself, but as I've stated before, my ultimate goal with S&S is to hit all sets with the 32, but not for time. As I inch closer to this goal, how early would I start practicing some ROP drills?

5/6/19: Simple & Sinister

GS: 24, 24, 24
1HSw: 5 x 24
TGU: 5 x 24

Bit of a deload day. Unfortunately nursing a left shoulder issue unrelated from previous session, but the 32 was feeling a little heavy on that side for TGU. May spend the next 2 days at this intensity.

5/7/19: Simple & Sinister

I just have one more day of keeping the load a little light. Also, my workout space is compromised this week, so I'm in another room. As a result, TGU is only to half kneel position, or else I go right into the ceiling fan. even though it was not a test day, at these loads, I've easily hit the timed goal easily with the recovery being so quick.

5/8/19: Simple & Sinister

Tomorrow I get my workout space back. Also, with the shoulder feeling 100%, I'll be able to get back to adding 2 sets with the 32 to SW and TGU.

I've already started to get the itch to start ROP immediately, but instead of losing my focus, I will start to incorporate 1-2 skills from ROP at the end of my S&S sessions.

5/9/19: Simple & Sinister

1HSw: 24, 32,32,24,24 (20 seconds on/ 30 seconds off)

First day back to heavy after reducing for about a week. Everything felt strong, and I was also able to reduce my rest by 5 seconds without incident. I've added supersets of side planks and loaded cleans at the end of the session. I feel side planks help keep the tension while of roll from supine and elbow during the TGU

5/10/19: Simple & Sinister

Another strong day. Had a few beers last night that made me sweat a little more. My focus has really been to roll to elbow as usual during TGU, especially for left TGU. Swings are feeling powerful, and I've really been focusing on my breathing as well as rooting hard throughout.

5/2/19: Simple & Sinister

As I inch closer to this goal, how early would I start practicing some ROP drills?

good work ! as far as I remember some Enter the Kettlebell threads and stuff, it is recommended to start working on the ROP drills when one starts inserting the 32kg in the S&S progression. Of course keeping it easy. I think it is not a bad thing to add a couple of sets of a few exercises after S&S since it allows for variety and to acquire new skills or to work on a specific area without impacting the main practice that is S&S... a full session could look like :
- warm up (at least goblet squat, the halo and bridges being optional)
- S&S
- 3 sets of 2 or 3 exercises
- stretch option
I have been practicing like this for a good year and it serves me rather well
Good luck !

5/13/19: Simple & Sinister

Clean practice 2 x 5 reps, 24 kg, superset with side planks 2 x 30 seconds bilateral.

Practice today almost didn't happen. Hosted 2 parties, one for my son's birthday and another for Mother's Day. My body didn't want to move out of bed, so my warm up also included a movement flow for about 5 minutes before GS and bridges. I was able to make each movement precise and strong afterwards. Tomorrow, I'm hopeful to add in the 3rd set with the 32kg.

good work ! as far as I remember some Enter the Kettlebell threads and stuff, it is recommended to start working on the ROP drills when one starts inserting the 32kg in the S&S progression. Of course keeping it easy. I think it is not a bad thing to add a couple of sets of a few exercises after S&S since it allows for variety and to acquire new skills or to work on a specific area without impacting the main practice that is S&S... a full session could look like :
- warm up (at least goblet squat, the halo and bridges being optional)
- S&S
- 3 sets of 2 or 3 exercises
- stretch option
I have been practicing like this for a good year and it serves me rather well
Good luck !

That's the perfect set and exactly what I started to incorporate last week. Excellent suggestion!

5/14/19: Simple & Sinister

1HSw: 24, 32,32,32,24 (20 seconds on/ 30 seconds off)
TGU: 24,32,32,32,24

Clean Practice 3 x 5 with 24
1/2 kneel BU Press 3 x 3 with 16

I added in the 3rd set with the 32 today for SW and TGU, but added about 15 seconds rest TGU. I immediately wondered by I didn't do this sooner, but each movement was owned almost with ease. However, there is a goal to reach and there is no reason to unwisely go too fast. ROP practice to finish the session off.

5/15/19: Simple & Sinister

Snatch practice 4 x 4 with 20kg
Pull Ups 3 x 3

Man that timer drops to zero awfully fast, but my breathing helps to keep things crisp and strong. I must say this week has been the most focused, replenished, and ready as I have been through this whole process. I remember early on I'd have to have a deload session, but not the last 2 weeks.

ROP practice consisted of snatch and pull ups today. I have not done these 2 movements in about 8 weeks, and it showed with the snatch. I'm glad I kept the load light. I also sissified my pull ups using a resistance tube to help me focus on the full range of motion and controlling the eccentric phase.

5/16/19: Simple & Sinister

GS: 32, 32, 32

Clean Practice 3 x 5 with 24
1/2 kneel BU Press 3 x 3 with 16

Hands are more roughed up than usual mostly likely from the extra grip work yesterday. TGUs are STRONG and focused. I am going to do one more practice session with 3 sets of 32 before I work in the 4th set next week.

5/21/19: Simple & Sinister

GS: 32, 32, 32

Snatch practice 3 x 5/5 with 20kg
Pull Up practice 3 x 3 with band assist

Slight little hiatus, but not very noticeable to performance. I will start the 4th set of 32 tomorrow. It is getting easier to pull the bell down with SW.

Snap practice went much smoother today. I'm confident with the lock out so my focus has been controlling the descent as well as taming the arc by zipping the jacket in the up phase.

Back
Top Bottom