all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Clean Advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

rickyw

Level 7 Valued Member
I need a little help. I cannot get my clean clean, if you know what I mean:)

Here's some video

I tend to bobble the catch a fair amount. Those of you who followed my A+A snatch thread know I had a similar problem with the snatch too. Thoughts and advice welcome. Thanks!

@rickyw I personally only see minimal "bobble" at your catch. What I do see is your chest rising a bit early at the launch and it may be the video but I cannot hear a strong biomechanical breathing match with your hip hinge.

Try practicing your double bell cleans. The heavier weight from launch will force you to really pull your lats down, use your hardstyle breathing to brace and launch those bells back strong. The resulting hip snap should have those bells floating right up into the rack.

Agree with @natewhite39. I don't see a lot of bobble and recommend double cleans to help "clean" up technique.

Your set up seems a little squatty and balanced forward. In your set up, try to sit back into your hinge more, and load up your hips and hamstrings before initiating the hike. You may want to try starting with the bell a little closer to you. As it is, your hinge is shallow and you are vertically squatting the bell up instead of getting a powerful hip drive. Then you have to generate power by driving your shoulder back/chest up (as @natewhite39 observed).

To some extent these things are going to occur more on a first rep from the floor, because of the lower start position with the bell on the floor and the dead start. Try doing consecutive reps to try to groove a deeper hinge and fuller back swing. Focus on keeping the arm straight and against the torso a little longer to get maximum power transfer from the hips, and do practice with double bells for single and consecutive reps.

Any "bobble" I do see looks like you are "planking up" a hair late, when you are catching the bell, instead of just before the catch so you are already braced. It's tricky timing the rhythm of loose and tight between your body and working arm. Again, double bell practice should help. For some reason,the heavier weight and being symmetrical makes smoothing out the technique much easier.

Hope his helps.

To me it looks like your elbow is sliding out a bit, you lose the continuous support of the ribcage and finish with a little uppercut to compensate.

Once you latch on and the KB comes back, your arm from shoulder to elbow should lock in against the ribcage as if it were strapped down.

For my gusto you could work on a better and more solid rack. Pull your elbow down. Then your lats are engaged, your elbow is more down and a bit back, and your shoulder is more down and back too, therefore better prepared for a press. Watch your front vid. when the bell gets down , you will see, that your left shoulder is far higher than your right, and on the side view you will see, that your shoulder goes forward, too. Loose your lats, and you will loose your shoulder.

This is top notch. Thanks everyone. I have a lot to work on. It appears the double kettle bell clean is where I need to go for awhile

Why double bell cleans are easier for me is a mystery. In theory doubles should be more difficult.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom