all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Clean and Press versus Turkish Get Up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
If you had to choose one to focus on and you do if you choose between Simple and Sinister and Rite of Passage programmes, which are to my knowledge the two major alternative kettlebell programmes of Strongfirst, which one would you choose and why? They are too similar to focus on both at once as they compete for muscle usage, so one programme focusses on one that other on the other.

I'm impressed with the simplicity of the C&P exercise and with the multi-directionality of the TGU exercise. Given that I started kettlebelling in earnest with the S&S programme which features TGUs and is without C&Ps, I haven't done a lot with C&P. Id' think that I'd lose something switching from the TGUs to C&P if I were to do that. Many of you on these forums have gone from attaining Simple to attaining Rite of Passage. I'm wondering about your thoughts on comparing these two exercises.

I don't think you would lose much switching from tgu to c&p..but that's my experience. I hadn't done a tgu since may, but have been working on the c&p quite a bit. I recently decided to attempt my tgu best of 40kg again after having completed a press workout. I could still do it after months of not doing any tgus.

I have a sweet spot in my heart for tgus though since not much volume is required. That's what makes it a more attractive exercise overall for my lifestyle IMO.

C&p really makes the shoulders look way good

Neither is better.

TGU, but depending on individual (back) problems, the clean and press might be the better choice.
So as mlstof the times "it depends"?!

Hello,

I would say...it depends of your goal.

If you are only interested in strength, then GUs.
If you are interesting in a mix of exposivity and strength, I would say C&P.

Kind regards,

Pet'

If I had to choose only one it would be Get Ups, but I don't so I do both. If the get up is more important to you do that first, if the press is more important to you do that first. Why not do both? They serve different functions, but help each other.

If you only press you are missing supporting strength. If you only do get ups you are missing bent arm strength.

Do lighter get ups to warmup for pressing, or some lighter presses after heavy get ups to trigger adaptation.

I like high volume and intensity get ups, and presses but the key for me is twice the amount of work for pulling. I like this article as a general pulling template.
Strength Routines for Developing a Strong and Healthy Upper Back

I am beginning to feel like I have already said all I have to add to this forum.

Last edited:
If you had to choose one to focus on and you do if you choose between Simple and Sinister and Rite of Passage programmes, which are to my knowledge the two major alternative kettlebell programmes of Strongfirst, which one would you choose and why? They are too similar to focus on both at once as they compete for muscle usage, so one programme focusses on one that other on the other.
I don't think they are so similar that they are mutually exclusive. My current training plan is RoP, but doing S&S on variety days. Granted, my primary focus is on RoP; that is, if I'm going to miss a day, I'll miss a variety (S&S) day. But I'm training both C&P and TGU regularly within a week. And my TGU is at 32 kg.

Wow. I'm picking up a new dialect in Acronym.

I voted for the TGU, but I would say it depends on what you are after. If you want muscular endurance, I would go for the TGU. If you are looking for explosivity and stamina, I would go for the C&P. Being a former gymnast, I like the TGU more. I tend to think of it as being an isometric exercise, since your body is under constant tension throughout the TGU. Builds a nice, lean body.

Both are good exercises. For everyday use I think the get-up is more useful than the press. If you are lifting an object from chest height to above your head you can always dip your legs and push press it up so perhaps having less bent arm strength isn't a problem. Having said this, my experience is that it takes much more time / volume to progress on the press than on the get-up so if I was training both over a period of time I would probably do RoP with get-ups on variety days.

If you only press you are missing supporting strength. If you only do get ups you are missing bent arm strength.

If you want muscular endurance, I would go for the TGU. If you are looking for explosivity and stamina, I would go for the C&P.

Two very good points above.

I would add, get-ups are great for beginners learning to use their shoulder ROM for something other than blow-drying their hair. (Yes, I'm making fun of my past self).

I always found the C+P would leave me feeling a bit drained, whereas TGUs would leave me recharged.

On the flip side failing a C+P rep is no big deal for me, when I have failed a TGU it has always felt hazardous.

I cannot complete the final phase of the get up due to "old" knees - I can squat OK so as I stated in another similar thread I enjoy the clean/press/squat. I do from time to time do get ups as far as the kneeling point and then add goblet squats at the end to include that movement in some way. example would be 5 L/R get ups to kneeling+ 10 goblets. Overall it has to be clean/press for me. If my knees were better this would be m much harder call to make.

Best regards to all.

Here's something I have been playing with

S and S 2-3x a week
C and p 2-3x a week using easy strength guidelines..

By getting frequent practice and waving the load by how you feel during the day, you can get stronger no problem

Hello,

@Mark Limbaga
What were your gains doing that protocol ? At the end of your cycle, did you press heavier for example ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom