all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Clean and Press versus Turkish Get Up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
How long does a heavy day take? You see, I'm toying withe the idea of ETK again but worry about the time constraints I have (a hectic life involving being a carer to boot!) limiting me.
Early on in the cycle RoP does not take long - even a heavy day. Later in the cycles (5x5 ladders) I found it time consuming - certainly more so than S+S.

Hello,

@Kozushi
two ladders of Clean and Press before my S&S workout for several days now
What ladder do you use : 2 * (1-2-3) ? To some extents, do you want to do ROP ladders ?

Would it be interesting for you to do 1 ladder of press and 1 ladder of pull ups / chin ups, to work agonist and antagonist ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Kozushi

What ladder do you use : 2 * (1-2-3) ? To some extents, do you want to do ROP ladders ?

Would it be interesting for you to do 1 ladder of press and 1 ladder of pull ups / chin ups, to work agonist and antagonist ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
I've been going "purist" the last several days only doing the C&Ps but a few months back I also did the pullup ladders. Doing the pullups helped me progress faster at S&S. Actually, I should start doing them again too - thank you for the suggestion! And yes, the ladders are 1,2,3. That's all I can handle with the 32kg bell at the moment.

Hello,

@Kozushi
Actually, I should start doing them again too - thank you for the suggestion
You are welcome ahah ;)

if you do:
- some press ladders
- chin / pull ups (assuming that you start doing them again)
- S&S
How many time does it take you ? (I do not count warm-up and cool down)

That's all I can handle with the 32kg bell
32 is...my goal so I am far from you !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Kozushi

You are welcome ahah ;)

if you do:
- some press ladders
- chin / pull ups (assuming that you start doing them again)
- S&S
How many time does it take you ? (I do not count warm-up and cool down)

32 is...my goal so I am far from you !

Kind regards,

Pet'
Well, I weigh 100kg and am about 185cm tall, so 32 is actually not a big accomplishment.

Doing the press ladders before S&S slows down S&S a bit. The whole thing takes about 30 minutes.

Hmmm... maybe just straight military press is better given that I'm doing swings anyhow... I've been experimenting with a few things...

Anyhow, I certainly couldn't press a 32 over my head 6 months ago. I developed the ability through S&S training. Now I can press it a bunch of times over my head. A bit of pressing is a nice add on to S&S I think.

Both exercises are outstanding but if you really want to improve at one or the other I'd suggest just flip a coin and spend serious time cycling through them both throughout the year. Sadly there's no way to stay at your best at every lift all the time. Something has to give ground while another thing improves. But since I constantly try to disprove that law, I GTG as many things as I can: press, TGU, bent press, dead lift, front squat...you get the idea. It's hard to go wrong with GTG.

Hello,

@John Spezzano
Considering all the moves you maintain / want to maitain, do you "organize" your GTG ?

For e.g. 2 or 3 of each on the morning or whatever ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@John Spezzano, I agree with you but would caution that one must have a certain level of skill with the movements one is practicing, and a willingness to practice mindfully in order to benefit from this approach. And we know you have both!

My favorite approach for keeping a lot of lifts going is Easy Strength - 5 lifts, ~10 reps each every day in low-rep sets.

-S-

Hello,

@Steve Freides
In this logic, do you vary weights to still progress, or do you keep them unchanged "just" to maintain both skill and strength ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

The method is to keep it heavy but easy, and go for a PR when you feel like it.

-S-

@Kozushi, get the book, Easy Strength, or poke around on the Internet, mainly on the site of @Dan John, where he talks about the approach in several of his blog posts.

-S-

Thank for the ping, Steve...
The hard thing about this is like what Charlie Francis said about sprint training: people's highs are too low and lows are too high. It is hard to do these workouts because you don't chase fatigue, you don't chase failure. Make the lifts and walk out. Try to do them with no emotional impact. Don't judge the weights. If it is easy, go heavier next time if you feel like it.

Now, this is impossible for most people. Hell, most people never finish a program, so why do I even worry about it? People want the EXACT definition of easy, hard, or medium and it literally depends. If you are a slow twitch monster who can drive up near maxes daily, your "Easy" is different. I'm a blend actually. For example, in deep squats, if I could do a single...I go keep going and do a triple! Upper body, I was so much more "twitchy" and my maxes were so far above my rep numbers.

Stu McGill explains some of this with my Celtic hips, for example, but it is just the way we are wired too. So, you are going to have to be an experiment of one. If you want "exact" percents or poundage, don't do Easy Strength.

I'm not sure why I understood the concept so simply. Honestly, I don't, but every time I did this I made some kind of weird Personal Record "out of nowhere."

If I had to choose I'd clean & press. I'd want to do a press, a pull, a squat, and a hinge in my program. So I would clean and press to cover the press and the hinge. Plus being more of a ballistic move I think it has the best carry over to athletics. Don't get me wrong, I love TGU's. They could be done as a warm up or on variety days, but when added to the volume of c&p's you do if using ROP, that's a lot on the shoulders.

If doing ROP "by the book" you'd be doing some swings and snatches. So if you wanted to make things really simple why not just do snatches? But if you are already doing a heavy amount of pulling exersices, snatches, pull ups, & deads, you mat want to get a press in there.

What was the question again?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom