all posts post new thread

Barbell Clean + Front squat form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hung

Level 8 Valued Member
So i have played with clean and front squat for awhile...Self-learned from various sources, reading articles and comments on the Internet here and there. I want to check my form, to make sure I do not hurt myself in training.
Sorry for being shirt-less ?
Clean:

Front squat:

Every feedbacks are appreciated.

Those look really good to me, @q.Hung !

Your front squat form is really nice. Have you tried taking a big breath and pressurizing your abdomen before you squat? It can help stabilize for a bit stronger squat.

Your squat after the clean stance is quite wide, but probably good. I am not sure how to find optimal stance. There might be a bit of early arm bend/pull, but perhaps not.

Interested to see what other feedback you get. It's good to see someone else working on these lifts. :)

@q.Hung

Tip: Prior to the clean, contract the triceps, straighten the elbows and activate the lats (wedging). By maximally contracting the triceps, you also maximally lengthen the biceps prior to the start of the lift, which can alleviate any elbow issues down the line.

Very nice. I do miss the barbell.

Important details, that need fixing:

1. You do look down at the top of the clean and the unracking from the cage. That relaxes the upper back. Do not look down. You need to know where and how your feet are placed without looking. It will be impossible with heavy weights.

2. This one you know, since you correct it immediately. You catch the clean with elbows down. Fix it ASAP.

On the heavier front squat (from the rack):

To reduce forward lean at the sticking point, which leaks energy from the leg drive, squeeze your elbow in just a hair (like 1 cm each side), which will engage your lats harder, reduce your forward lean, and solidify your torso.

Invest in WeIghtlifting shoes.

You know you are really firing and pulling under when you hear that slap on the platform.

Take care of your feet.

Thanks a lot guys. Many details I just never hear that before (because of my lack of education in this subject).
Like this one
This one you know, since you correct it immediately. You catch the clean with elbows down. Fix it ASAP
I did it because I think it would be more stable for the squat. Never think it would be that important.
or this
Tip: Prior to the clean, contract the triceps, straighten the elbows and activate the lats (wedging). By maximally contracting the triceps, you also maximally lengthen the biceps prior to the start of the lift, which can alleviate any elbow issues down the line.
I thought it only apply for the deadlift family?
On the heavier front squat (from the rack):

To reduce forward lean at the sticking point, which leaks energy from the leg drive, squeeze your elbow in just a hair (like 1 cm each side), which will engage your lats harder, reduce your forward lean, and solidify your torso.
What would happen if I squeeze more? And which causes the forward lean? Could you explain the mechanics behind it?
Have you tried taking a big breath and pressurizing your abdomen before you squat? It can help stabilize for a bit stronger squat.
Sometime, but I never feel there is enough air in my stomach while I squat. With the squat after clean i totally forgot. With the squat on the rack i too focused on keeping my upper back straight and not leaning forward, so my bracing was not at best. Thank you for pointing this.
Invest in WeIghtlifting shoes.

You know you are really firing and pulling under when you hear that slap on the platform.
Probably it would take lots of time for me to prepare for the shoes. I lack both shoes and the proper platform. What is your opinion about lowering heavy weight from the rack to the floor (not dropping it, it's not allowed in here). Is it dangerous?

What would happen if I squeeze more? And which causes the forward lean? Could you explain the mechanics behind it?

Squeezing more doesn't give any benefits.

The purpose of the squeeze is to activate your lats harder, which strengthens the the shelf that the delts + bar sits on.

It's a tension technique, which allows you to increase thoracic tension while undergoing thoracic extension due to pelvic shifts.

The forward lean is caused by weakness in two areas:

1st -- Glutes + quads being too weak to get through the sticking point, so the hip flexors get involved, which tends to pull the pelvis and spine forward, leading to...

2nd -- If your thoracic extension isn't good enough to flex with this, while using simultaneously using your upper back muscles to maintain your rack, your elbows will start to drop. This squishiness reduces the amount of force being transmitting from your feet to the bar.

One other tip to help with the sticking point:

Forcefully pop up out of the hole, fast, once you feel the hamstring stretch fully kick in.

On the way down, the hamstrings are storing up energy like a spring.

If you hang out at the bottom too long, this energy dissipates.

Go down slow, go deep, bounce up fast and aggressive.

I never let my front squat become a grind, because I need it to stay fast and explosive for jerks.

Still I cannot get rid of looking at my feet.
Also, does my upper back get round? Is that normal?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom