all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Clean + jerk suggestions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chris O'Donnell

Level 3 Valued Member
I’ve been doing the strongfirst single bell bjj clean and jerk program for a couple of weeks now and enjoying it so far. My clean and jerks are feeling pretty good! I always like to have something to focus on, and I’m actually not sure what I can do to improve at the moment. I’m sure this is due to my own ignorance and not “perfect” form (whatever that means).

I would deeply appreciate any suggestions of things I could tweak or play with to continue to improve! I’m including a video of clean + jerk + clean on each side. Happy to grab a video from another angle if that would be helpful.

Left video
Right video
Sorry they are links instead of embeds. I think it won’t let me embed them because they’re YouTube shorts.

These generally look pretty good, Chris. Nice shoulder packing on both sides!

A couple minor tweaks to practice:

Both sides: Completely relax the arm on the drop, and absorb the impact with a little deeper dip on the "catch". It looks like you're currently resisting with the arm just a little bit, in which case you don't have to bend the knees much to absorb the impact.

Right side: On the first dip, your elbow comes away from your side a little bit. That produces a "bouncy" movement on the drive and leaks energy. You can get away with that when using a lighter bell, but it'll catch up to you with either a heavier bell or doubles (at some point in the future). Emphasize connecting your upper arm to your ribcage throughout the entire dip, and you should be good to go.

These generally look pretty good, Chris. Nice shoulder packing on both sides!

A couple minor tweaks to practice:

Both sides: Completely relax the arm on the drop, and absorb the impact with a little deeper dip on the "catch". It looks like you're currently resisting with the arm just a little bit, in which case you don't have to bend the knees much to absorb the impact.

Right side: On the first dip, your elbow comes away from your side a little bit. That produces a "bouncy" movement on the drive and leaks energy. You can get away with that when using a lighter bell, but it'll catch up to you with either a heavier bell or doubles (at some point in the future). Emphasize connecting your upper arm to your ribcage throughout the entire dip, and you should be good to go.
Thank you, will give those a try!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom