all posts post new thread

Clean & Press, Cardio & Consistency

Hrungnir

Level 7 Valued Member
I figured it was better to start a log then keep jamming up the Giant thread on the main forum. I also have no outlet in real life to discuss kettlebells with and hope this keeps my desire to do so satiated lol.

Some background, I have done Crossfit/grappled/S&C intermittently over the last 15 years. Last year I tore my bicep going for a max deadlift and once I was cleared for lifting again I ran DFW with 24kgs. From DFW I went into Giant 3.0 and Giant 1.0 which I just completed. I have never tested my maxes and have no immediate plans to test. I have purchased 60# bells and plan to run Giant in completion all the way through at least both.

At this point my goals are to be able to do extreme things on vacation without feeling like I got hit by a bus as well as improve my longevity and quality of life as a I get older. I am currently 33. There is also no complaint at all about how clean and presses have grown my guns, my repaired bicep is nearly back to pre tear size.

I ran DFW with no additions on DFW days. I did have fan bike sprints and BikeErg steady state on off days. All reps are just clean & press (squat had same numbers)
chart.pngchart (1).png
Some pretty great gains, I think a lot of it was going from physical therapy to working out and my body adapting.

Last edited:
In Giant 3.0 I began adding 8k runs as I was able to recover. Typically twice a week.

chart (2).pngchart (3).png
Still some great WOW improvements, I don't miss the singles at all. Those were brutal.

In 1.0 I started adding some 4k runs on Giant days building up to 24k. Typically two 8k runs and two 4ks. I also added a circuit of prehab/antagonist movements. The hope is that they counterbalance Giant/running for longevity. Weight is easily managed, only thing that gets a burn is the pull aparts

Five rounds
-Alternating globe grip 40# dumbbell rows x5L/x5R
-Red band pull aparts x20
-Glute ham glides x5

chart (4).png
chart (5).png
Whats interesting is that week 3 in both 3.0 and 1.0 is when my reps dip, curious to see if that continues. I just finished 1.0 today, the sets of 4 I was really hoping to break 130 reps but it was just a straight cardio fest and I couldn't manage it. In DFW and 3.0, I was held back by shoulder strength but in 1.0 I was held back by cardio in the sets of 4 and by grip strength in the sets of 6. 2.0 should be a pretty good shock to the system with the introduction of the higher reps. Its not a good apples to apples comparison, but my clean and press reps in 30 minutes have gone from barely over 100 Week 1 to consistently over 300 in weeks 10-12. Neupert's programming is amazing!

I want to add squats into the Giant days, but I don't know if my recovery can keep up. The 4k runs weren't bad, but they were also all easy runs. I think I will experiment in the first week and see how it goes. I know Dan John is shaking his fists in fury at me for these additions but we will see if I can keep handling it.

Giant 2.0 W1D1 24kg
29 sets

I thought I would be able to treat the reps of 3 as more of a rest than they actually ended up being. I ultimately decided to not attempt the squats, I just don't think I have the work capacity to handle it currently. I did double the reps on the cooldown circuit, that went well. Going for a goal of 132 reps with a stretch goal of 140 reps.

Giant 2.0 W1D2 24kg
20 sets

Right on the money for where I expected to finish. The sets of 7 sucked, which means the sets of 8 on D3 are going to deliciously suck. These days are going to make the low reps on D1 seem like active rest. Or at least that’s the lie I’m telling myself. Goal for this day is 110 with a stretch of 120.

Giant 2.0 W1D3 24kg
17 sets

The set of 8 did indeed suck, I was at 12 sets at ten minutes and barely managed the five sets within ten minutes. It was a different suck then the lower reps that felt more like a chipper wod, my whole body was screaming on the 8. Shooting for a goal of 112 reps and stretch goal of 126 reps.

Edit: Missed my run yesterday due to a dust storm and couldn’t make it up today as I’m hitting a brewfest.

Giant 2.0 W2D1 24kg
29 sets

Tied the first week, I went for an EMOM pace but on the 26th set I knew I didn't have two more clean sets of 5 left in me.

4/26/22

8k run 58:32

Nothing really to note from todays workout, just chugging away at the zone 2 lol

Giant 2.0 W2D2 24kg
21 sets

Damn, I had to dig deep for this one set PR. The week over week improvement is definitely a lot tougher in 2.0 than it was in 3.0 and 1.0

4/28/22

8k in 1:00, my numbers are starting to dip on these runs I think it’s just how hard Giant has been impacting. Going to Costa Rica in a week so I’ll get a deload soon enough.

Giant 2.0 W2D3 24kg
18 sets

A one set PR, my forearms were dying on the final one. Craziest pump I’ve gotten during a kettlebell workout, I don’t think I could have hit the set of four if I had a gun to my head. Overall good day, I woke up feeling like today was a rest day but then after I treated myself to a Vietnamese coffee I changed my mind lol.

Giant 2.0 W3D1 24kg
30 sets

A one set PR, I played it a bit too conservative at the end I think if I had rushed instead of going EMOM I could have squeezed 1-2 more in. Today was just one of those training days where I couldn’t motivate myself to get around to it, but once I did it all just clicked and I was in the zone.

Giant 2.0 W3D2 24kg
22 sets

Another one set PR, squeezed in at the very end. On pace to break the week 3 slump I had in 3.0 and 1.0, most likely will create a week 4 slump but that’s the fun of auto regulation. I missed another run yesterday due to wind storms, pretty windy today hopefully it clears up tomorrow.

Giant 2.0 W3D3 24kg
17 sets

Lost a set week over week, was really hoping to finally bust my week 3 slump but ended up tying week 2 in total reps. Guess it isn’t really a slump with a tie, just interesting how week 3 hits differently. Tons of niggles right now, right elbow and left rhomboid aren’t in pain but they’re reminding me of their existence. Going to be out of town for a week, hopefully all the booze and food doesn’t impact a strong finish to 2.0 when I return.

Giant 2.0 24kgs W4D1
31 sets

A one set PR despite all my day drinking and ceviche gorging! Quite surprised by this, hopefully I can finish out 2.0 strong on the next two days. Excited and scared for 1.1 next week.

Giant 2.0 W4D2 24 kgs
21 sets

Lost a set on this one, but still a good workout. My biceps are in crazy DOMS mode right now, motion is lotion so hopefully this workout soothes them a bit. The sets of 7 definitely aren’t the ball busters they were. I’m glad I took the advice of running 2.0 before 1.1.

Giant 2.0 W4D3 24kgs
18 sets

A one set PR, which helps me break the stagnation and finish with a weekly PR as well. 2.0 is officially over, PRs proved to be much more difficult to come by than 3.0 and 1.0, but I really liked the ladders. This one really pointed out my forearms as weak links, the longer sets gave me some massive forearm pumps. Still apprehensive about 1.1, but it’s coming next week!

Attachments

• 73D090FF-8A57-4D58-84E2-909E8E950FF1.jpeg
    73D090FF-8A57-4D58-84E2-909E8E950FF1.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 0A141A9C-F490-4282-8235-FB0E1A5DAD2E.jpeg
    0A141A9C-F490-4282-8235-FB0E1A5DAD2E.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 10
Giant 1.1 W1D1 24 kgs
17 sets

I came out super hot and burnt up in the first third, then lost a ton of steam. I think 20 is within reach for a goal, stretch goal of 21.

Back
Top Bottom