all posts post new thread

Getting Artificially Strong (and complaining about Cardio)

8/31
Three Miles 33:17

9/1
Giant 1.0 W3D2 60#
12 rounds

A one round PR. This is a surprisingly good week 3, which never happened with the 24s. I think the runs are really helping with my recovery but my presses just feel strong right now.

9/2
Two miles 22:44

Today
Giant 1.0 W3D3 60#
23 rounds

A two round PR, was shooting for just 22 but felt so strong I poured it on at the end. I think the running is really helping me recover between rounds while lifting, everything seems to be clicking right now. Going on vacation in two weeks, going to try and bring this energy until then.

Giant 1.0 W4D1 60#
17 rounds

A one round PR. Crushed my goal and stretch goal on this round. Hoping for a solid last two days before getting into 2.0.

Giant 1.0 W4D2 60#
13 rounds

Another PR! This one was way harder than D1’s, I clinked my bells on the backswing for the first time in forever and my lockout got shaky on the fifth rep before I dialed it back in. I haven’t been running this week because of the heat wave, need to get back in the groove next.

Giant 1.0 W4D3 23 rounds

A tie week over week, but still a solid weekly rep gain every single week of the program. Haven’t posted graphs in awhile, but this one has some solid gains.

Attachments

• 37F9CE94-1D19-4557-AB9D-B593C258EA68.jpeg
    37F9CE94-1D19-4557-AB9D-B593C258EA68.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 4
  • F0EC258B-4338-48B6-8147-349EFFFCF14A.jpeg
    F0EC258B-4338-48B6-8147-349EFFFCF14A.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 4
9/12

Run 3 Miles 35:33

Today

Giant 2.0 W1D1 60#
7+1

Right in between my total reps of 4 and 5 last week. Felt good, goal of 8 ladders stretch goal of 8+2.

Vacation workout #1

The hotel had a pair of 50# dbs so I just f@#$ed around with those for twenty ish minutes. Nothing too crazy, just getting the blood going and making sure I don’t lose progress in my boozery.

10x5 50# DB Press

10x10 (5/5) 50# DB Snatch

The press felt weird after not pressing anything but a kettlebell for a year plus, had to remember how to press from the DB rack lol. Snatches felt good, this is a movement that was a favorite of mine in CrossFit and I haven’t done for a year plus either but were like riding a bike.

Alternating single arm Press descending ladder
1 1/8” band 10 to 1

The website for the band says it’s a 40-80# band, it was a doozy on the bigger sets. Just a quick sub ten minute workout as I’m still on vacation.

On another day I did another set of presses with the same band, 4x max with my left then match with the right. Ended up doing 16,15,15,15

Giant 2.0 W1D2 60#
5 ladders

A bit surprised I hit my goal on this one. I legit almost failed on my first set of 3, felt like I forgot how to press. Idk what that was but it all came together after that. Goal of 6 ladders, stretch goal of 6+2.

I’m weighing 238, which is 100 pounds over my old competition weight. 8 of that is directly from the vacation but I need to address and get my weight back down to the 200-220 range for health purposes. Going to start keto on Thursday so hopefully the worst of the flu happens over the weekend. Looking to cut caffeine next week, alcohol is already cut.

9/28
2 mile run 24:18

9/29
2 mile run 23:20

First runs back weren’t too bad, a little mild soreness but nothing impactful.

9/30
Giant 2.0 W1D3 60#
4 ladders

This one really sucked. I started keto that morning so I don’t think my glycogen/glucose levels were off by much but it was a grinder.

10/2
Run 2 Miles 22;52

This was supposed to be Saturday, but I had the worst Keto flu of my life. I don’t know if it was the Giant session depleting all my glycogen or what, but I couldn’t hold anything, even water, down for most of Saturday and had a fever for a good chunk of the day. Once I was able to start rehydrating I was better almost instantly and even ran two miles at a much better pace. It was an awful Saturday, but at least it didn’t extend beyond the one day.

Giant 2.0 W2D1 60#
6+2 Ladders

This week two comes three weeks after the week one and it was a doozy. I could definitely feel my energy levels not being as high after starting the diet. The fives were pretty tough, I think the 7s and 8s are going to murder me until I adjust.

10/5
2 Mile Run 23:54

Today
Giant 2.0 W2D2 60#
4+2 Ladders

This was a doozy, I nearly failed three reps. On the last set of 7, I barely made the 6 and had to push press the 7 still almost missing it. Then the fifth rep on the final set barely made it, idk if the lockout was really there lol.

Hopefully I’m adapted soon because the 8s are coming hard at me in two days!

10/7
3 Miles 36:43

Today
Giant 2.0 W2D3 60#
3+1 Ladders

It went a bit better than I was expecting. The 8s did really suck, but I didn’t come as close to failure as I did on the last workout. I used some body English on the final rep of 8 and it was a grinder, but not a full on push press. That said getting four complete ladders is going to be really tough.

10/11
2 miles 21:31

10/12
Giant 2.0 W3D2 60#
4+2 Ladders

I had plenty of time to hit that last rung of 7, but I knew I would fail it. I maybe had an ugly five in me, but definitely not seven. Hopefully next week I add that rung!

Killer progress. I rarely see anyone else here that tries to combine StrongFirst with any form of actual LSS cardio. Highly recommend the All-Terrain Conditioning seminar. Also, as a non-runner here, I've also seen a ton of progress getting in my LSS work by swapping into Rowing, Assault Bike, Elliptical, (insert low-impact cardio here) because LSS running kills my legs in the gym and I get shin splints and plantar fascitis. That low-impact work does wonders for us lifter types.

@jroberts1187 yeah, I own a rower, bikeerg and fan bike. Drunk me decided that a good motivation to get into better cardio shape would be to sign up for multiple half marathons next year so I’m running focused for now lol. I have a feeling that peaking on these half marathon plans with the giant might be a rough life but we will see.

Thanks for the compliment!

10/13
3 miles 37:47

Giant 2.0 W3D3 60#
3+1 Ladder

Another tie, meaning that this week stayed completely flat. It’s been rough not weighing myself because I feel like I’ve lost weight. Game plan is to not weigh until 11/18, so I still got six weeks weeks to go lol.

If I am losing weight, then maintaining the numbers is a win. I am inching closer to my old belt hole from 2020, so once I get there I can say with certainty I’ve made progress.

10/16
5 miles 56:43

Giant W4D1 60#
6+2 Ladders

I went for the final five to get 7 ladders and finally break my weekly stalemate, but my fourth rep was a travesty so I stopped. I don’t know if this counts as failing a set as I made the decision to stop before I failed, but it’s my first time failing a set since I started Giant. Hopefully I can eek out an extra set and increase my weekly but it’s gonna be hard fought. Oh what a difference running Giant was when I was drinking and eating like nobody’s business lol

10/19
3 Miles 37:54

Today
Giant 2.0 W4D2 60#
4+2 Ladders

Another tie, I was paced to be able to hit it but on the final set of seven I could just tell it wouldn't happen.

10/21
3 miles 36:55

Today
Giant 2.0 W4D3 60#
3+1 Ladders

Another tie, but dammit I had it. I was hiking the bells for another round of 6 and a final tie break, when my lower back spawned. I immediately dropped the bells and I think it’s just a strain but the muscle hasn’t cooled down so I’m unsure. I was feeling hella good, like I could even handle a set of 8. I think I was so focused on the press I didn’t pay attention enough in the hike and it bit me. Oh well, life lesson and let’s hope it’s one I don’t have to learn the consequences of for more than a few days.

Back
Top Bottom