all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Cleans a la S&S swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

J Cox

Level 6 Valued Member
Anybody tried single bell cleans every day a la S&S? I could just GTG it, bit I wondered if this would be more taxing than swings to the point daily doses of 100 cleans would just burn you out.

I had a thought of doing 5L and 5R and then put the bell down until I complete 100 total. Not doing an Emom thing, more auto regulation. Beuller? Bueller? Anyone? ?

Sounds like a good idea. Try it and let us know how it goes. :) I think if you wave the load you won't have an issue with burn out.

I prefer GTG in a ladder format -

1-2-3-3-2-1
The GTG ladder appeals to me. Just doing a deload week after doing a six months of doubles work. Definitely had a technique issue on the strong side on the drop. Did 100 total last night as described above. Technique vastly improved. After this week it's back to double C&J.

Thanks to you and @Mark Limbaga for the tips.

Can I ask the question here about the intention of a clean? Is it mostly a hip drive thing or a sort of modified hammer curl thing? I'm not clear on what I should be feeling in a kettlebell clean.

Can I ask the question here about the intention of a clean? Is it mostly a hip drive thing or a sort of modified hammer curl thing? I'm not clear on what I should be feeling in a kettlebell clean.

Good question. It is a bit of an oddball lift IMO. I don't think you'll "feel" lower rep sets quite the same as other exercises because it does spread the effort over more muscles, and you can vary the reps/time to modulate the effort. Yes, hip drive to lift the weight, a bit of a curl to rack the weight, and a bit of a loaded carry (or isometric hold) to hold the weight in between reps. The ballistic aspect of the loaded hinge and hip drive is about the same as a swing. But unlike the swing, you can vary the cadence by varying your hold time in the rack. It also pairs nicely with anything that requires racked kettlebells, single or doubles -- press, push press, jerk, squat.

Anybody tried single bell cleans every day a la S&S? I could just GTG it, bit I wondered if this would be more taxing than swings to the point daily doses of 100 cleans would just burn you out.

I had a thought of doing 5L and 5R and then put the bell down until I complete 100 total. Not doing an Emom thing, more auto regulation. Beuller? Bueller? Anyone? ?
Alternating 1 cln 1 sqt for 5 a side would be interesting. I've substituted front squats and bottoms up squats for the swings in Q&D 033, and that was a smoker. The 100 reps I could probably do twice a week. Doable more days with waving weight and volume as @Coyotl mentioned.

My current routine is a five exercise (front squat, pull up, dip, clean and carry), single five-rung ladder (1x1,2,3,4,5), done five days a week. An Easy Strength-Mind Over Muscle hybrid of sorts.

So far, so good.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom