all posts post new thread

Nutrition Coconut oil and fasting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I'm just wondering if anyone is still using coconut oil during the fasting period. There's some who say it doesn't break the fast as it doesn't trigger an insulin response, but some say it breaks the fast as it has calories. I'm on the fence about incorporating it again.

For me personally, if I am doing an intermittent fast, I just avoid any food (including oils) and only drink water and black coffee.

The same question could probably apply to my coffee consumption - does it break the fast because it has calories? Probably?

But at the end of the day, what is your goal? Weight loss/body composition etc?

Are you achieving the above by using coconut oil during your fasting period? If you're not, don't eat it for a couple weeks and measure what happens.

This is what I love about training and nutrition, you can really dial it in and tune it to YOUR needs.

Sorry I wasn't able to get you a scientific or researched answer, but thought I would share my personal method with fasting!

I'm just wondering if anyone is still using coconut oil during the fasting period. There's some who say it doesn't break the fast as it doesn't trigger an insulin response, but some say it breaks the fast as it has calories. I'm on the fence about incorporating it again.

Fasting

It depends on how you define it.

I define Fasting as only drinking water, no food or other beverages. Based on my definition, consuming Coconut Oil would means you have broken the fast.

some who say it doesn't break the fast as it doesn't trigger an insulin response,

Doesn't Trigger Insulin Response

Fat's don't appear to trigger insulin production.

However, Coconut Oil contains Medium Chain Triglycerides, MCTs. MCTs enter the system as fast or faster than glucose.

It appears MCTs my circumvent body fat from being used (burned) for fuel because MCTs are immediately accessible and remain available in your system for a while, as per...

Dr Mary Newport Presentation On Coconut Oil/MCTs

Research has demonstrated that Coconut Oil's MCTs are effective therapy for Alzheimer's Treatment; improving their condition.

In one of Newport's presentation on this she noted...

1) Coconut Oil
a) Ketone level peak at about 3 hour after taking Coconut Oil.
b) Ketones remained in system for 7 - 8 hours.

2) MCT Oil
a) Ketone level higher but peaked at 90 minutes.
b) Ketones gone at 3 hours

Newport didn't provide her reference on it. However, based on other information, it that might be correct.

Coconut Oil Fasting

Based on the information above, it appears that consuming Coconut Oil would shut down or limit the use of body fat being burned for fuel.

There a place in one diet for Coconut Oil and MCTs, dependent on your objective.

Kenny Croxdale

At some point I switched from grazing throughout the day to eating three meals with nothing in between. A nutritionist told me coconut oil was ok in between if I got hungry. Not an exact answer to your question, just one data point.

She also said I’d get used to just my three meals and not need the coconut oil unless I just wanted it. She was right.

if you are doing the under eating period of a warrior diet, then you can eat the oil

if you are doing a straight water fast, then i would avoid it

Hey guys, anything that goes through the liver ends a fast. This includes coffee and obviously anything with calories, but also things like apple cider vinegar and sweeteners.

That being said, ending a fast with something that keeps insulin suppressed (eg. Healthy fasts) still replicates SOME of the benefits of fasting. But mostly depends on your level of blood ketones which are really behind the therapeutic potential of fasting and ketosis - ESPECIALLY FOR BRAIN HEALTH.

Since in the brain they are anti inflammatory, reduce reactive oxygen species, and improve redox potential among other things.

Cheers,
Chett

Hey guys, anything that goes through the liver ends a fast. This includes coffee and obviously anything with calories, but also things like apple cider vinegar and sweeteners.

That being said, ending a fast with something that keeps insulin suppressed (eg. Healthy fasts) still replicates SOME of the benefits of fasting. But mostly depends on your level of blood ketones which are really behind the therapeutic potential of fasting and ketosis - ESPECIALLY FOR BRAIN HEALTH.

Since in the brain they are anti inflammatory, reduce reactive oxygen species, and improve redox potential among other things.

Cheers,
Chett

Yes, technically you are right, of course! Caffein is metabolized in the liver. But would would you therefore really classify it as breaking a fast?
As I understand it, the benefits of fasting come from the the temporary calorie restriction which allows cells to engage in autophagy and insulin sensitivity to recover.
Since caffein is not really an enery source, would you still consider having coffee as breaking the fast?

Yes, technically you are right, of course! Caffein is metabolized in the liver. But would would you therefore really classify it as breaking a fast?
As I understand it, the benefits of fasting come from the the temporary calorie restriction which allows cells to engage in autophagy and insulin sensitivity to recover.
Since caffein is not really an enery source, would you still consider having coffee as breaking the fast?

Based on the literature, technically yes it breaks the fast. Check out some of the work by Dr. Satchin Panda if you are interested on more of this. HOWEVER, thats not to say black coffee ends ALL benefits of fasting, it certainly does not. I did a 5 day fast once and consumed 1 cup of black coffee every morning. I tracked my blood biomarkers and found many of the signs of fasting were preserved, not to mention the beneficial side effects I experienced (mental clarity, anti inflammation, GI function improved and so on) were preserved.

Based on the literature, technically yes it breaks the fast. Check out some of the work by Dr. Satchin Panda if you are interested on more of this. HOWEVER, thats not to say black coffee ends ALL benefits of fasting, it certainly does not. I did a 5 day fast once and consumed 1 cup of black coffee every morning. I tracked my blood biomarkers and found many of the signs of fasting were preserved, not to mention the beneficial side effects I experienced (mental clarity, anti inflammation, GI function improved and so on) were preserved.

Usually, I go 16-20h/day without food but I have 2-3 cups of black coffee (black coffee is anyway better since you don't have milk and/or sugar masking all those marvellous aromas) during that time.

I can and have used Kegenix Prime (BHB) with MCT outside of my fueling/feeding window, with good success.

I will be transitioning Bulletproof’s Brain Octane Oil since it is just Caprylic Acid Triglyceride, which appears to be more efficaious. To the level that those in the field label as a “poor man’s” Beta Hydroxybutyrate.

That said, my goals may be different than yours. Also, the frequency for which I use it outside of my typical 6-hour window is medium to low. It is just an option that I employ to meet my goals.

As an aside, I typically drink sparkling water by Mountain Valley, Pellegrino or Topo Chico during my 18-hour fasting window.

All the best as you drive forward!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom