all posts post new thread

Nutrition Coconut oil here we go

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
For the health of your heart, lowering your LDL cholesterol is the single most important thing to do. For individuals who already have atherosclerosis, LDL levels below 70 mg/dL are advised.The coconut oil industry likes to point out that the traditional Polynesian diet – high in tropical oils like coconut – is linked with relatively low rates of heart disease.

I'm eating my 2nd piece of pie for the day, washing it down with a big glass of milk. The ability to eat like this is one of the main reasons I workout.

Happy day after Thanksgiving, America! Happy Friday, everyone else :)

All oils are a mixture of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fatty acids. The artery clogging and therefore most damaging – fatty acid is saturated fat. The fat in coconut oil is 92% saturated fat.

Not trying to be disrespectful, but if that's true why did rates of myocardial infarction skyrocket when the majority of the western world switched their primary source of fat from saturated to polyunsaturated ?

When our ancestors (pre WW2) ate a diet high in saturated fat heart attacks were as rare as hens teeth and then when the vegetable oil lobby moved in and started pushing vegetable as healthier oils and the consumption rose heart attacks did too.

Below is an excerpt from
The Skinny on Fats

It's based on the work of Mary Enig who was one of the foremost lipid scientists the world has known. Mary Enig was one of the main campaigners to lobby against the use of trans fats in our food, you could say if it wasn't for her we'd all still be ingesting buckets of the nasty stuff.

Before 1920 coronary heart disease was rare in America; so rare that when a young internist named Paul Dudley White introduced the German electrocardiograph to his colleagues at Harvard University, they advised him to concentrate on a more profitable branch of medicine. The new machine revealed the presence of arterial blockages, thus permitting early diagnosis of coronary heart disease. But in those days clogged arteries were a medical rarity, and White had to search for patients who could benefit from his new technology. During the next forty years, however, the incidence of coronary heart disease rose dramatically, so much so that by the mid fifties heart disease was the leading cause of death among Americans. Today heart disease causes at least 40% of all US deaths. If, as we have been told, heart disease results from the consumption of saturated fats, one would expect to find a corresponding increase in animal fat in the American diet. Actually, the reverse is true. During the sixty-year period from 1910 to 1970, the proportion of traditional animal fat in the American diet declined from 83% to 62%, and butter consumption plummeted from eighteen pounds per person per year to four. During the past eighty years, dietary cholesterol intake has increased only 1%. During the same period the percentage of dietary vegetable oils in the form of margarine, shortening and refined oils increased about 400% while the consumption of sugar and processed foods increased about 60%.2

When I read something demonising saturated fat I always filter that through the pretext of "who serves to gain from this" and coconut oil is the perfect example.

The studies published by the AHA ( which receives funding from the vegetable oil industry) that "prove" saturated fat from coconut oil is bad for us were all based on coconut oil that had been hydrogenated - copha, so they are totally irrelevant.

As far as I'm concerned the "lipid hypothesis" has been thoroughly debunked

Last edited:
@edfrancis, you are repeating what you said earlier. I have also had to remove a post of yours
As far as I'm concerned the "lipid hypothesis" has been thoroughly debunked
Me, too - this is a rehash of things covered earlier in this thread, IMHO.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom