all posts post new thread

Nutrition Coffee and Coconut Oil=Bulletproof

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
I've received a lot of Internet promotions regarding the wondrous ability of coffee and coconut oil to make mere mortals "bulletproof."
I'm not sure what being bulletproof entails, although growing up in N Ireland in the 1980's it would have been a useful quality to develop.
In all seriousness what are the supposed benefits of coffee and coconut oil??

Coconut oil has plenty of good stuff for you, especially medium-chain-triglycerides, also known as MCT. I like to use coconut oil for cooking, I alternate it with butter. I also sometimes put pure MCT oil on some salads or rice or such to get plenty of the good fats.

MCT has been claimed to help your fat metabolism and have other health benefits as well. I have not done any experiments of substantial scientific merit to claim any effects on myself. It would be interesting to go take blood tests before and after of a month of purely coconut oil use, for example.

I put it in mine. I skip the butter though. Gives me crazy energy and even more the couple times I used it with the butter.

I had a medical pro tell me just last week to try coconut oil in place of fruit if I feel like I need a snack during the day, as snacking on fruit would cause ups and downs in glucose which would in turn cause ups and downs in hormones, whereas fat (like coconut oil) would not.

I tried it in coffee yesterday, and had more today. Could be too good for my own good...

I think it's a great idea for most people although I couldn't tell you why. I prefer my coffee and my coconut oil as separate things; the closest I get is having food that's good coconut oil in it and drinking a cup of coffee at the same time.

NB: I've tried having coconut oil and/or butter _in_ my coffee but ended up moving my office to the bathroom, if you get my drift. So this isn't for me.

-S-

Science, marketing, hype? And the proportion of each that contributes to the success or otherwise or lifestyle choice or specific goals, if any.
In the context of one of those coffee superfrappacappamoccacino things with half a ton of sugar and marshmallows and half a pint of syrup on it to sweeten up the gallon of sweetened double cream, washed down with a blueberry muffin and a bagel, the coffee and coconut oil is a good alternative!! Maybe particularly beneficial if dairy is an issue, too. I like coffee (a poor second to tea, mind). I like coconuts. Seems a pretty good idea to combine the two. Not actually tried the actual bulletproof variety but have played about with chucking some oil into my coffee and it just ends up tasting like a coconutty coffee thing, which isn't much of a surprise. I wasn't sure what to expect...as stupid as it sounds!! Doesn't beat cream, a small amount of course, or old fashioned unsexy milk. To my disappointment I didn't perform any miracles nor did I become so cognitively enhanced that I solved Fermat's Last theorem nor did I absorb high velocity ammunition but to be fair I don't frequent war zones when I'm walking my dog, so couldn't really test out that hypothesis. I'm still rubbish at maths, pythagoras being my limit.
Science may suggest benefits to a product but those benefits are exploited and pushed into a publicity machine which grows its own arms and legs. And, the result is that we, as punters, feel as if we are missing out on something particularly as it grows in popularity and is endorsed by many. One of the great marketing triumphs of recent years is plain old bottled water: "extracted from underground volcanic lava untouched for millions of years, pure and fresh".......use by 28 February 2016, may contain traces of nuts, fish and wheat products.
Some science perhaps and some clever marketing perhaps drives bulletproof coffee in my view. But if you like it, it works for you and your goals and your diet is otherwise sound then great. Cup of tea, anyone?

Nothing wrong with coffee and coconut or "MCT" oil. Just be wary of the Bulletproof guy, he claims to have invented all sorts of things, including the idea of mixing MCT oil and coffee; he didn't invent it. He also used to claim that his coffee was the only mycotoxin-free coffee on the market. This mycotoxin claim is false as the entire coffee industry dealt with this problem long ago.

From my experience, i found having two to three coconut oil coffees during the day and a short feasting window at night helped me lean down. Didn't really feel any of the benefits they say, but I found it a little easier to get lean. At the moment I'm back to using bcaa. Between heavy labour, S&S, and Muay Thai i think i need a little extra. The bcaa are helping me to hold on to my muscle and allow me still just feast at night.

@HUNTER1313, just curious, given the amount of work you do, what is your body composition? (Needn't be numbers if you don't have them.) Thanks.

-S-

Hover around the 160-165lbs at 5'10". Body fat I don't know. Abs aren't clearly defined, but are noticeable. I think if I up my protein in my nightly feast I'll do better. Also, eating on the road sucks and I find it hard to eat as properly as I should. I live in a motel during the week. Just me and my bells.

From my experience, i found having two to three coconut oil coffees during the day and a short feasting window at night helped me lean down. Didn't really feel any of the benefits they say, but I found it a little easier to get lean. At the moment I'm back to using bcaa. Between heavy labour, S&S, and Muay Thai i think i need a little extra. The bcaa are helping me to hold on to my muscle and allow me still just feast at night.

That's interesting Hunter, as I've tried time and again to lose weight with coconut oil with limited success. I'm a 2 Tbsp butter, 1-2 tbsp coconut oil in my coffee, and I find a good organic bean is all I need. @Steve Freides I found that adding collagen protein (which won't degrade in the heat) helps ease the stomach bloating/bowel issues, and likely suggests some difficulty with fat digestion (I often have a bile supplement handy for mornings when I took more than my body was ready for).

But the real reason I commented here was your comment on the BCAA's, which I've just started using myself. I am amazed at how beneficial they are, and I am thinking you're on to something about doing more than one serving a day. As a bonus, they'll keep you full so you end up eating less junk on the road (that's speaking from experience of living on the road!)

@ali
"Science may suggest benefits to a product but those benefits are exploited and pushed into a publicity machine which grows its own arms and legs. And, the result is that we, as punters, feel as if we are missing out on something particularly as it grows in popularity and is endorsed by many."
Hit the nail on the head!!
Every second email in my inbox refers to becoming bulletproof??? I'm not sure what this actually means??
What's wrong with becoming Strong???

My coconut coffee schedule. 530am coffee, 930am coconut coffee, 12pm green tea, 330pm coconut coffee, 530pmish till 930pmish feast.
Bcaa schedule 530am sometimes coffee sometimes bcaa, 930am bcaa, 12pm coffee or green tea, 330pm bcaa, 530pmish till 930pmish feast.
Mind you some of those nights i push my feast back so I can go to Muay Thai from 730pm till 830pm.

Trying this today. Had a cup with a tablespoon of Coconut oil made and drank half before my practice. After lifting I had a small breakfast and finished the other half of the coffee. I am feeling pretty energetic! Tastes good too. I will try it for a week or two to really test it.

I've been blending Kerrygold butter and coconut oil into the morning coffee with regularity for just about the last three years, albeit not nearly in the quantities Mr. Asprey recommends; just a reasonable pat and a small spoonful of each, respectively. Not something I do everyday, and sometimes not even most days, but I can always feel the difference when I go back onto the concoction. I find it's made coffee work "as advertised" for me for the first time--energy, lifted fog and no crash later.

A typical weekday breakfast when I'm not on the road would be a big cup of the coffee (16-20 ounces or thereabouts), two hardboiled eggs with a good splash of Tabasco and fresh carrot juice. Mr. Asprey endorses getting by on *just* the coffee in the morning (then again, he also endorses a lot of wacky stuff, it seems), but I've learned I genuinely feel even better with just a bit of protein in the tank with it.

3 days in and it is working really well for me. I just have it in the first cup of the day and I am liking the boost. Thanks guys.

Are most folks who are trying coconut oil in coffee making a switch from milk, or black, or no coffee at all? I've started to put it in coffee at work but still use milk when I'm home in the morning with a refrigerator, and hadn't really thought about changing that.

Are most folks who are trying coconut oil in coffee making a switch from milk, or black, or no coffee at all? I've started to put it in coffee at work but still use milk when I'm home in the morning with a refrigerator, and hadn't really thought about changing that.

I put a dash of creme in with the Coconut oil. Just enough to change it from black to very dark brown but I have had it just black with the Coconut Oil and it was good. Have not tried the butter yet.

I put a dash of creme in with the Coconut oil. Just enough to change it from black to very dark brown but I have had it just black with the Coconut Oil and it was good. Have not tried the butter yet.
Same here. I like it real dark, just short of black.

The butter lightens it up a bit like cream would but the coconut oil wont change the color at all.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom