all posts post new thread

Nutrition Coffee and Coconut Oil=Bulletproof

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My routine is currently wake up 5am coffee with 1tbsp of Mct oil, At work around 8am coffee with 1tbsp Mct oil and 1tbp butter then around 12:30 am coffee with 1tbsp Mct oil and 1tbp butter. Then I have dinner between 5 and 6pm.

What I have noticed is complete lack of hunger and improved focus at work.

I know G Nuepert advises coffee with Coconut oil and Gelatin. I have been trying to reduce my coffee consumption but the coffee and coconut oil combo works best for me if taken first thing in the morning. My wife thinks I'm bonkers but it definitely curbs hunger. I used it when I was trying IF and it helped with that. My coffee is pretty basic and so is the coconut oil, I wouldn't be paying the equivalent of 40 dollars to enjoy bulletproof coffee.
P.s has anyone managed to define "bulletproof?"

I know G Nuepert advises coffee with Coconut oil and Gelatin. I have been trying to reduce my coffee consumption but the coffee and coconut oil combo works best for me if taken first thing in the morning. My wife thinks I'm bonkers but it definitely curbs hunger. I used it when I was trying IF and it helped with that. My coffee is pretty basic and so is the coconut oil, I wouldn't be paying the equivalent of 40 dollars to enjoy bulletproof coffee.

Yeah I drink basic Trader Joe's coffee and right now have some Coconut oil from Sprouts that my wife bought. I think anyone can try the gist of it with the basics.

I put a dash of creme in with the Coconut oil. Just enough to change it from black to very dark brown but I have had it just black with the Coconut Oil and it was good. Have not tried the butter yet.
Try the Grass Fed Butter.. I use Red Palm Seed Oil, Virgin Coconut Oil, Grass Fed Butter and then i blend it in a magic bullet. depending on your cups size i would be careful not to add to much of either. 1/2 a table spoon of each for a 10oz cup 1/4 table spoon of each for 8 oz cup. adjust as you need.

I found I was drinking 4 or 5 cups a tea Steve and at night I felt a little "wired" and struggled to get over to sleep. Generally now one cup in the morning with c oil, maybe another mid morning, then green tea with Manuka honey the rest of the day. Take some magnesium 365 and I'm sleeping like a baby. Love coffee but find this works better for me.
Conor

@conor78, I was just giving you a hard time. :) Some people react very differently to coffee that others, and I'm one of those who can have a double espresso at midnight then go right to sleep.

All kidding aside, any coffee drinker can learn a good lesson from the randonneur bicyclists. These folks, who ride 1200 km more or less non-stop, usually stop drinking coffee for about a week before their event because the body does get used to it, and this allows them to have a fresh "jolt" from it. Getting off of caffeine every now and then is something I practice and recommend.

-S-

It's probably just a marketing gimmick, and not meant to be taken literally.

On a related note, "fighting fire with fire" is not effective against non-metaphorical fire. In fact, I think I just exacerbated the situation that time...

@Steve A double espresso before bed and I would be ready to start digging trenches rather than getting a night's sleep. I used to be able to handle lots of caffeine and also alcohol though that's a different matter:)
On the caffeine front I actually enjoy my cup in the morning and it seems to satisfy the caffeine cravings. I am naturally cynical about a lot of hype that circulates around the "superfoods."
I don't know whether it's the placebo effect or its genuine but c oil and coffee definitely gives me a lift in the morning and I feel good after drinking it..
Just trying to keep it to the one cup though...
@jpetersen it seems that every second email that lands in my inbox has that bloody term...I'll note your point about fighting fire with fire when it's not metaphorical!:))

Joe Rogan trashed the Bulletproof Coffee guy pretty good over his outrageous claims about coffee beans. You can look up
the video with profanities on YouTube -- basically the science behind his coffee beans was discredited a long time ago. No one
has that problem with Coffee beans any more.

As to concoction - I am experimenting with grass fed butter, coconut oil and packages of gelatin as per Geoff Neupert's advice.

All I know is when I tried my own bulletproof coffee experiment, it didn't help at all with my body comp and my cholesterol went off the charts. When the Doc compared good and bad cholesterol it made my cholesterol o.k. But there were those other side effects. As far as body comp what worked for me was the Maffetone two week test for three weeks and then a diet of meat and vegetables with very limited carbs and a very strict watch to try and eliminate any sugar. It was funny, it took a little over two weeks before I noticed much, but when it kicked in the fat started melting off. I have a ways to go before I get to where I want but I'll be interested in having a fat % test when I get there and see how I've done.

Question; Has anyone used Bulletproof Coffee (the recipe not the brand) exclusively before their workout and notice a change in energy, endurance, or body comp?

Last edited:
Have been adding about 1.5 teaspoons Coconut oil to my 2 morning cups of coffee for a week now... haven't noticed a thing.

The bottom line here is that there's no real science behind Bulletproof stuff. If you like the taste, great, but just go easy on adding that much fat into your diet in a cup of coffee. The whole idea seems built around the idea of people eating high carb, low fat diets, but StrongFirst members are probably getting a good amount of fat in their diet already. This doesn't seem like a fat-free yogurt kind of crowd.

@banzaiengr, a higher total as a result of higher good cholesterol is, in my opinion, a good thing. If your doctor doesn't agree, I'd get a second opinion.

The above advise is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or condition.

-S-

Some of you might find this article on Bulletproof Coffee interesting. Regarding cholesterol, there is a section on it about 3/4 of the way down, starting with: "Dr. Spencer Nadolsky has now seen more than 100 patients following the BPC protocol. . . ."

I've never tried it, but I'd be open to it. My morning double shot at the coffee shop is part of my daily ritual though. I show up, get the, "Norm!" welcome from Cheers, and do my reading for the day.

I tried MCT oil five years ago and started out too strong with a tablespoon added to a protein shake on the first go. I felt a nice buzz of energy, but I also had some oil-induced shart fear for the next hour. My wife loved it. It reminded her of the time I tried high dose fish oil before building up. :D

Last edited:
I've tried 5 days of coconut nut coffee, 5 days with no coconut oil, and back to 5 days with 1tsp. coconut oil added. The coconut oil definitely gave me more energy and reduced hunger.

I am a believer. Bulletproof? Never tested that.

Last edited:
Hello,

I approve. Coconut oil defenitely gives energy. For a while, I even replaced my breakfast by a simple coconut oil coffee (6h30 am): a mug with a table spoon. It is more than enough, with only an apple at midday to hold on the evening meal. Coffee with butter has the same effect for me.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Here Fat Loss & High-Protein Breakfast | T Nation an article which says that the bulletproff coffee we are talking about (coffee with coconut oil) is not so goo that it seems...

Frankly, I don't know what to think about it. Maybe it depends of the person : some people have a bigger / smaller insuline sensitivity.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom