Coffee, fasting and mitochondria

Discussion in 'Diet and Nutrition' started by iron&flint, Oct 11, 2019.

1. iron&flint

iron&flint Double-Digit Post Count

I was pondering Q&D with its mitochondrial benefits today, and in training fasted in particular. Pavel suggests it in the book, and adds that consuming an energy drink beforehand would negate the benefits. This makes sense if it’s an energy drink containing sugar but then I started thinking about sugar-free energy drinks - of which black coffee is one.

When fasting (which is most days), I always have black coffee, so of course fasted training is still with a decent dose of caffeine in my system.

Out of interest, I googled the effects of coffee on mitochondria and found this:

Caffeine from four cups of coffee protects the heart with the help of mitochondria

Based on that, it makes me think that coffee (or any sugar-free, caffeine-containing energy drink) is actually complementary to fasted Q&D training.

Any further thoughts on this?

2. HUNTER1313

HUNTER1313 More than 500 posts

And apparently 3-4 cups of coffee is good for T levels too

iron&flint likes this.
  3. Hasbro

Hasbro Triple-Digit Post Count

Any excuse to drink coffee is fine with me. I have a large cup first thing upon waking up and most of the time I don’t eat anything until late afternoon. I would advise coffee over those energy drinks though. Coffee is full of antioxidants and compounds that are healthy and one large study showed that drinking 4–5 cups of coffee per day was associated with a reduced risk of early death.
    Coffee and Longevity: Do Coffee Drinkers Live Longer?

Bauer and iron&flint like this.
  4. iron&flint

Oh absolutely, no doubt about coffee being just plain good for you, especially compared with energy drinks.

I was really thinking of it in terms of Q&D and Pavel’s advice with regards to optimising mitochondrial development. It’s like coffee is another tool in the arsenal with Q&D and fasting in a way I hadn’t foreseen, much as I was already pro coffee.

Hasbro likes this.
  5. HUNTER1313

HUNTER1313 More than 500 posts

Will anyone elaborate on the fasting Pavel talks about? Is it the 16/8ish, warrior dietish, or one meal a day?

6. iron&flint

I don’t know beyond what the book says but I always do 16/8 or just dinner with Q&D at the start of the day before work.

I’d also be interested in further insights though.

7. Bauer

Bauer More than 500 posts

Pavel has mentioned occasionally that he uses the Warrior diet by Ori Hofmekler - and that he has black coffee for breakfast (in his interview on the Tim Ferriss podcast he talks a bit about his typical day).

iron&flint and cheldelformai like this.
  8. Pavel Macek

Pavel Macek More than 2500 posts Master Instructor

iron&flint, cheldelformai and Sean M like this.
  9. Steve Freides

Steve Freides StrongFirst Director of Community Engagement Staff Member Senior Instructor

Yes, that's a great start to that interview. Tim goes on to mention how he usually chats with people about what they had for breakfast for a bit, but has nothing to say to "Coffee."

-S-

iron&flint likes this.