all posts post new thread

Nutrition Coffee

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I just read an article saying not to drink coffee post workout as it will keep cortisol levels elevated and as such are not good for recovery. I remember Ori saying no coffee after training too. Now my questions are.
1. Does that mean us first thing out of bed early morning trainers shouldn't drink coffee for the rest of the day? Besides our first cup before training?
2. What about us heavy labour guys/gals? My work day is pretty much an all day workout, which means our cortisol levels are elevated and we are possibly catabolic. I take some bcaa or some whey to offset the catabolicness.

Oh I agree whole heartily. I enjoy a freshly brewed cup in the morning and my usual around noon. Sometimes more.

It probably DOES affect recovery.

Question is does it have enough effect to matter? If you are top 0.1% elite and your life is a constant game of optimisation then you probably shouldn't.

I had my toddlers left over toast and banana last night for dinner as I was too tired to cook.

Poor caffeine timing is the least of my problems and the world as a whole will be a better place if my coffee intake is left the hell alone.

I just read an article saying not to drink coffee post workout as it will keep cortisol levels elevated and as such are not good for recovery. I remember Ori saying no coffee after training too. Now my questions are.
1. Does that mean us first thing out of bed early morning trainers shouldn't drink coffee for the rest of the day? Besides our first cup before training?
2. What about us heavy labour guys/gals? My work day is pretty much an all day workout, which means our cortisol levels are elevated and we are possibly catabolic. I take some bcaa or some whey to offset the catabolicness.
IMHO, it's best to experiment for yourself. People have different reactions to caffeine and coffee.

-S-

I have noticed a difference in my work out recovery when drinking coffee, but it's only a problem if I drink a whole pot, not a single cup. If you're really worried about it you might want to try switching to green tea after a work out. A lot of people myself included get an energy boost from green tea, without the caffeine jitters. And I haven't had any post work out problems with it. :)

In a world without coffee the survivors would envy the dead IMO.

More seriously, several studies have shown that coffee has some level of protective role against T2D. If that is true then the effects on cortisol cant be too large as elevated cortisol is a major risk for T2D.

My take on coffee; works incredibly well as an appetite suppressant, elevates my mood somewhat, has a lot of supposed health benefits and to my knowledge not many risks, unless of course you have it by the pint or something crazy like that (effect on BP/HR?), and as a morning trainee I'll pretend I didn't read the above points about not drinking it after training. Having said that, I find I'm rarely drinking coffee less than an hour after training; always a good 1-1.5 hours.

As much as I like coffee however, I'm not in any way dependant on it to function, as I can go days at a time without if I happen to not have time to make a cup or don't pass a café, despite drinking 4-5 cups on many days. Black, of course.

We are using coffee to jump start their diet, burning fat and losing weight easier than before.
We all know that coffee contains caffeine. That's why we drink it.
Caffeine helps endorse better blood circulation. This in turn has a positive result on our basal metabolism. Caffeine combined with chlorogenic acid produces a better fat burning effect.
The best time to drinking coffee is 20-30 minutes before you start to exercise.

I use a low carb/keto IF approach to my life style. Coffee with some heavy cream is a must for me until my first meal around noon. Kicks starts my day and gives me just enough calories to prevent going insane.

I agree with Harry Westgate as coffee for me is an appetite suppressant and makes IF a bit more tolerable between 5am - 8am.

Back to the question, I only have coffee in the morning and workout early afternoon so coffee afterwards isn't needed.

I can say that when I need to train early due to a busy work day I drink coffee afterwards with impunity every time.

I've heard that too that the caffeine by stimulating the pituitary gland raises cortisol. Although there are many studies showing the benefits of coffee/caffeine I think a more important subject is how caffeine can cause insulin resistance. Makes you wonder about all those people that cannot lose body fat.

I read in a medical magazine in the waiting room once an article about the affects caffeine has on the brain. It showed a heat map of brain activity for people who drink caffeine regularly and those that do not. A normal, non-caffeine drinker had ~75% brain activity. That same person was near 100% activity with caffeine. The regular caffeine drinker had ~75% activity with caffeine and less than 50% activity without it.

After that, I started drinking Americano or decaf mostly so when I had a long and late drive a cup of coffee would actually do me some good. I am pretty sensitive to caffeine and don't ever go into deep sleep if I have had caffeine that day - I can have a lot more lucid dreams though. That lack of high quality sleep affects me more than anything therefore making coffee kind of like my kryptonite. However, here in the PNW, coffee is equivalent to sunshine in the winter so I take cream in my kryptonite.

Just to repeat something I've said here before, reactions to coffee/caffeine can vary quite a bit from person to person. Best to find what works for you and, if you like coffee, to get off it altogether or cut way back from time to time.

-S-

Just to repeat something I've said here before, reactions to coffee/caffeine can vary quite a bit from person to person. Best to find what works for you and, if you like coffee, to get off it altogether or cut way back from time to time.

-S-
Somewhere I read that it only takes 2 weeks of no caffeine to reset the relevant receptors.

I've actually experimented a bit with this in the past. I will drop all caffeine for 4 weeks. (Tough for a coffee head like me I tell you) Then immediately prior to an event (big climb, race, etc) I will 'dose' with coffee. No scientific controls and admittedly a small sample size (one), but for me it works from a performance enhancement perspective. Not a recommendation for anyone to try mind you. Steve is spot on when he cautions about different reactions by different people. If I'm not mistaken I believe caffeine is also a controlled substance in some athletic governing bodies.

Somewhere I read that it only takes 2 weeks of no caffeine to reset the relevant receptors.
I've heard that a week is enough, and I think we have diminishing returns over time with this one - I think even 3 days mostly resets things.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom