all posts post new thread

Nutrition Collagen peptides beat whey?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
Collagen Pepetide Supplementation with Resistance Training in Elderly
It is generally believed that the protein applied should be high in branched chain amino acids (BCAA), particularly leucine, which is known to activate several intracellular signal transduction pathways involved in initiating translation such as the mTOR signalling pathway( 16 , 17 ).

Collagen is generally regarded as having a relatively low biological value, mainly due to the low amount of BCAA and lysine (Table 1). Nevertheless, the mixture of amino acids has been shown to be superior compared with whey protein in maintaining N balance and body weight during a low-protein diet( 18 ). In addition, collagen contains relatively high amounts of arginine and glycine, both known to be important substrates for the synthesis of creatine in the human body( 19 ).​

Been taking this stuff for a couple months and notice definite improvement in my rachety old knees. BUT as a mostly vegan, I'm thinking improvements could just be due to higher IGF-1 level from increased protein intake. Just tested it and as of this week it is 123 which is about right so it was much lower. The big perk I think of gelatin or collagen is that the low BCAA and mTOR activation means lower cancer risk. Also, no saturated fat (hush now all you Paleo advocates, we know we know but we disagree rather strenuously)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom