all posts post new thread

Barbell Combining barbell russian countdown with swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Johanchils

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi all,

I just attended the Barbell 201 : Stand Strong workshop.

I'd be happy to go into the Russian Countdown program (Zercher squat and military press 3x/week).

I'm also very interested in keeping swinging a KB. I reached Simple last year and I feel like I need some kind of conditioning as I'm a football (soccer) player.

Would combining Russian Countdown and S&S a good choice?
Adding swings to the barbell program?
Not swinging at all as it would be a too heavy workload?

Thanks for your help

@Johanchils, the S&S book gives good guidance about following it while also doing other things. The suggestion, in general terms, would be to keep your swings to 2-3 time per week, and since you'd really be combining three things - your sport, a strength program, and swings - you should be very careful to avoid overtraining.

Welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

-S-

@Johanchils, the S&S book gives good guidance about following it while also doing other things. The suggestion, in general terms, would be to keep your swings to 2-3 time per week, and since you'd really be combining three things - your sport, a strength program, and swings - you should be very careful to avoid overtraining.

Welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

-S-
Thank you Steve

Hi all,

I just attended the Barbell 201 : Stand Strong workshop.

I'd be happy to go into the Russian Countdown program (Zercher squat and military press 3x/week).

I'm also very interested in keeping swinging a KB. I reached Simple last year and I feel like I need some kind of conditioning as I'm a football (soccer) player.

Would combining Russian Countdown and S&S a good choice?
Adding swings to the barbell program?
Not swinging at all as it would be a too heavy workload?

Thanks for your help
I’m not entirely familiar with that one in particular. But it sounds similar to the 5,4,3,2,1 countdown in beyond bodybuilding.

If it is anything at all like the above 54321 method. IMO it would be okay to combine as Steve suggested. 54321 is pretty easy to recover from and allows for you to train other activities or sports.

I’m not entirely familiar with that one in particular. But it sounds similar to the 5,4,3,2,1 countdown in beyond bodybuilding.

If it is anything at all like the above 54321 method. IMO it would be okay to combine as Steve suggested. 54321 is pretty easy to recover from and allows for you to train other activities or sports.
That's correct @flightposite this is a 54321 method leading to a 5x5 with an increased load over time.
Thank you for your opinion!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom