all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Combining GTG pushups with push ups training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dejwol

First Post
Hi everyone!

For several weeks I have been doing GTG loaded push-ups 4 times a week and with one push-up training a week (5x12-15) and with each week I notice progress (in the number of push-ups or the time under tension), but I have the impression that only one training session a week is insufficient for building muscle. Is it better to try to implement a second strength training, e.g. Tuesday, Wednesday GTG, Thursday training, Friday recovery, Saturday GTG, Sunday training and Monday recovery, or maybe just stay with one training session but increase the number of sets? Anyone using GTG with same movement training?

Best regards!
Dejwol

I remember doing GTG to prepare for assessment centre. I don't recall building a lot of muscle on it at all.

If your overall volume is high enough and you’re eating enough, you can put on some muscle, but I doubt it would be as effective as two days a week of dedicated hypertrophy training.

In my experience a happy medium between GtG and “hypertrophy “ training is using the fighter pull-up program rep scheme. I used it with deep pike push-ups and gained noticeable size.

I do something similar using pyramids.
Pushups
3-6-9-12-9-6-3 = 48 pushups in a set (rest between rungs is up to you), one pyramid usually takes me 7 mins or so
rest minimum 15 mins, then do another pyramid, sometimes the rest between pyramids is a couple hours, this works amazing if you're working from home, wave the total volume from session to session

Well, I do about 316 Push-ups a day, seven day a week with different protocols. I do Regular Push-ups, GtG, Ladders, Pyramids, all bodyweight as well as weigted (22 lbs vest), and noticed a significant improvement in my body composition. GtG itself will not build muscle, as @Adam R Mundorf wrote it's a neurological protocol. Try adding some other session and see what will happen.

Well, I do about 316 Push-ups a day, seven day a week with different protocols. I do Regular Push-ups, GtG, Ladders, Pyramids, all bodyweight as well as weigted (22 lbs vest), and noticed a significant improvement in my body composition. GtG itself will not build muscle, as @Adam R Mundorf wrote it's a neurological protocol. Try adding some other session and see what will happen.
That's allot of volume. Do you joints feel pretty good with that volume?

I did GTG all wile back with push ups. I ran it 2 days on 1 day off and just kept bumping the volume up. Not much hypertrophy but max set of push ups went up by the time I was done. For myself, I need more mechanical tension to build muscle than just a lot of volume. Especially lasting hypertrophy not just sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom