all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Combining GTG with super slow pushup

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Inaki Legorburu

Level 2 Valued Member
Does such a combination make sense?
With my 260 lbs my max is 10 normal pushups, so I normally grease the groove with 4 normal pushups. However when I go really slow, say 20 seconds down and 20 seconds up, then 1 rep is my max (sometimes only the negative!).
Does it make sense to do the super slow rep daily?
Does the combination with GTG make sense?

GTG is not about maxing out. Around half your reps with slight variation is fine. If in doubt reread Pavel's material again ie. The naked warrior. Or search the site, plenty on here about GTG.

Thanks John. I already have a warm relationship with GTG. My curiosity is about performing a really super slow rep on a daily basis, and more times per day. Bordering on an isometric hold at different positions in the full range of motion. And isometric holds can be done daily, preferably a few times a day.

Last edited:
There is a "slow fibers' hypertrophy" template in the Strong Endurance course. I think it could be run concurrently with a GTG/strength program of the same type. They would each target different muscle fibers.

On your really slow rep, have a look a this thread: Why partial reps for ST fibers

Thanks Anna and Steve. Plenty of directions and considerations to satisfy my curiosity :rolleyes:. This is bound to lead to new follow up questions.

Great! So, as a general guideline, the super slow pushups to failure can be done two days per week, a heavy day and a light day regarding number of sets, and the GTG tactic can be used to spread them throughout the day. Many thanks, these are starting points that I can progress from.

Last edited:
Great! So, as a general guideline, the super slow pushups to failure can be done two days per week, a heavy day and a light day regarding number of sets, and the GTG tactic can be used to spread them throughout the day. Many thanks, these are starting points that I can progress from.

Yes! That matches what was presented at Strong Endurance. Will be interested to hear about your results.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom