all posts post new thread

Kettlebell combining S&S with strength program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rayhzel

Level 3 Valued Member
So I've just read S&S.
Great read and very interesting programming.

I want to incorporate some S&S into my weekly training, but I wonder if I should...

My situation:
My downfall with sports has always been that I often do too much. My goal right now is pressing a Beast. I have even put running, which I love, on the back burner. I hardly do it these days. Right now I do the Soju & Tuba press program which was posted on the blog, combined with a pull-up program. It makes for a great combination 3x per week.

Now I want to do S&S twice a week as well. The book also seems to suggest you can do S&S twice a week if you follow a serious strength program (summary on the last page). However I don't want to detract from my main goal. Part of my concern goes to overusing the pressing muscles with the get-up.

Can I combine S&S with my pressing program?

Just dont go as heavy with TGU - you can do heavier ones at saturday for example and lighter ones in the week

You could always use the Get-up as an assessment. Certainly the movement can be used for different reasons. See the quote on how to use light Get-ups but still make them meaningful.

Simply perform 3-5 get-ups with a light-medium kettlebell (~50% of your best-ever get-up) before your scheduled workout. This is a great option if you’re working on a more involved bodyweight or barbell program, and don’t have the bandwidth or desire to fit a lot of get-ups into your program. This option also emphasizes the idea that the get-up is not just training, but also assessment.

A note on the get-up as assessment: While we use the TGU as a stimulus for adaptation, the TGU also has a useful role as a form of assessment. By mindfully practicing the get-up and noticing where the challenges are and how they evolve, you can gain important insights into the quality of your movement. For example, if I’m in a heavy powerlifting cycle involving high-volume bench pressing, and the “low sweep” of my get-up starts becoming challenged, I might conclude that my pectoral muscles have become tight, and that I need to spend some time mobilizing my overhead position.

Hello,

GU certainly will bring you a lot of strength and flexibility. Nevertheless, if you run NW as well, I suggest you using a 50 - 75 % of your max for 3 or 4 reps. Indeed, this move has a good carryover in NW so it is not necessary to force on it if you do both.

This would be to avoid overtraining and let you time to recover. You would eventually increase weight when "owning the current weight".

Kind regards,

Pet'

Use moderate S&S on off days as active recovery, and goblet squats, get ups, and swings as warmup.

I like the idea of S&S along with s and t, might program that in. Thanks for the idea.

Get-ups will help your pressing ability... Yes, you may see a small initial drop due to fatigue in the working muscles. However, the shoulder stability that you'll gain from doing TGUs will (very quickly) give you a boost to your pressing strength. In other words, I think 2x/week S&S would be just fine...

I think I can add something from my experience, and that is that even if you do S&S only twice a week, it still works. You still progress in strength and fitness. At the heavier weight I'm at now (the 40 "bulldog") I actually think it's important to NOT train everyday, even though the routine only takes about a half hour to complete.

For your case, the swings are very different from presses, so they ought not to interfere with your pressing goals. In my own experience, as I do ROP cycles when I don't feel up to doing the S&S routine (which shows I look at ROP as a kind of "easy day" - hahaha) the presses are not interfered with at all by the TGUs I did on the days previous, at all. - just my experience though.

Get-ups will help your pressing ability... Yes, you may see a small initial drop due to fatigue in the working muscles. However, the shoulder stability that you'll gain from doing TGUs will (very quickly) give you a boost to your pressing strength. In other words, I think 2x/week S&S would be just fine...

Thanks! I think I already noticed the drop yesterday, haha. I might have to experiment a bit with doing the practices on certain days.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom