all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Common FMS scores for different ages/populations

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey all,

I'm posting this in the FMS forum as well on their site, but it's a lot quieter than this forum and I know many of us here are certified as well.

I'm starting some S&C soon with baseball kids. 3 age groups - 15U where 13 is youngest age, JV and Varsity program. ~60 kids total. My 15U program is going to be pretty basic: learn technique on basic lifts, have fun playing physical literacy type of games, basically develop athleticism. Won't look like your typical weight room session that my JV/V will look like, but I digress.

I just finished the first of 4 days of getting FMS screens on all the kids. Already I've noticed patterns. I'm intensely curious as to common limitations in different populations, and this is my first personal experience getting this much data on youths. My hope is that these results drives my exercise prescription, whether that be in each individual's program, or take the most common limitation and build it into the group warmup.

I expected some low scores in the TSPU at that age, and got that. But what really shocked me is that on my first day (19 kids total), not a single one got acceptable in the RS. 11 of the kids yesterday were 15U, so I'm really excited for the next three days of testing to get more of the other age groups.

Long story short, has anyone found common limitations in specific sports/age groups/etc?
@Brett Jones I'm tagging you in this because I would absolutely love to hear your thoughts on this
@Shahaf Levin I know you use the FMS as well, would love to hear your thoughts. Apologies to others on this forum I can't recall right now that use the system as well.

I screened mostly late 20s to late 30s physically active people. The common unacceptables (scores of 1) I have seen are ASLR and RS, both, when 1s, were more often than not asymmetrical 1/2. Can't say I see age/gender/sport trend but since age and sport groups don't vary enough for me so I can categorize. The only trend I did noticed is 3/2 in SM in volleyball players (3 for hitting arm side), but since this is asymmetrical by the nature f the sport it is not surprising. The ASLR is usually motor control driven since conscious loading drills more often than not raise the score to acceptable.

I relate these common unacceptables to sedentary lifestyle and complete lack of understanding of movement and quality by the general public.

Rotary stability is nourished when people walk, run or engage in other contra-lateral activity (with good form). Unfortunately kids don't do that, neither does adults... If we can just find a way to make finger swipe a contra-lateral movement....

A trend I have seen is tons of zeros, mostly due to shoulder or low back pain. This again related to sedentary living and crappy posture and mechanics.

Interesting, thanks for the input! I had I think two or three 1-2 scores on the RS, but majority were 1-1.

Many of the 15U kids I didn't have any SM asymmetries, but I imagine in the coming days when I get more of the older kids I'll start to uncover those things.

I did respond on the FMS forum.

The Move2Perform software has demographic relative information so you may be able to pull more information there (it is by membership and is a bit on the more $$ side per month).

What was the reason for the 1's on RS?

When you look at the scores from a team basis you can identify trends - if most of your folks are RS and TSPU 1's then motor control work will be important from a team perspective. If ASLR is common you will want a bit more mobility work or split them into mobility and MC groups etc....

keep us posted on what you are finding

I saw your reply there @Brett Jones , thank you for replying to both. I wish the site there was more active!

A few of them definitely have the knee and elbow unable to contact (elbow more getting higher on the thigh). But far more often I am seeing the non-moving knee (and foot but to a lesser degree) coming off the board.

I did another ~15 screens last night and the trend continued where two kids had a 1-2 with the rest 1-1 on RS. I'm still seeing varying scores on SM, ASLR, ILL but I am definitely noticing the RS,TSPU and DS are all heavily weighted to 1's. Brett, I am going to make an assumption that since the TPI crowd has found a positive correlation with the DS and drive length that it could potentially be very important in a similar rotation centered sport like baseball. We're lucky where I am that we have a HitTrax machine that tracks things like exit velocity (ball speed off the bat) on our players - I'm beyond excited to see if throughout the year as we can hopefully improve FMS scores and get stronger if we see a corresponding change like the exit velocity.

Definitely wanted to do these screens to look at trends. This data is already altering my warm-up focus as a team, and I'll be using each kid's individual score to of course drive their intro programs.

I honestly don't know if I still have access to the Move2Perform; I doubt it as I did not pay anything after the 6 month trial after my FCS cert. I may have to consider it though.

Yes - TPI has found lots of impact from DS etc... to their golfers (and now tennis and other rotational athletes) performance.

Tracking the baseline provides exactly what you are using it for - team trends and individual adjustments.

Keep us posted

Brett

Seems like you should send them all several years back and make them roll & crawl again :)

Aside from being personally interested in your approach and results I am worried about the rest of the kids... If the young athletes has poor motor control, what the hell is happening with the rest of them? Up for some more screening?

Keep us posted

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom