all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Common Simple and Sinister Mistakes

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think it all boils down to (other than technical mistakes) most people going too fast, i.e. not treating it as a practice and chasing numbers
That took me about 3 starts to finally get right
From time to time, I pause when I read posts like this - we are the elite of the general population, the people who wants to improve, who want a plan that works, and who want all guidance we can get that helps us better ourselves.

I suspect that the most common mistake among people trying to do S&S who haven't joined our forum is quitting.

-S-

From time to time, I pause when I read posts like this - we are the elite of the general population, the people who wants to improve, who want a plan that works, and who want all guidance we can get that helps us better ourselves.

I suspect that the most common mistake among people trying to do S&S who haven't joined our forum is quitting.

-S-

Hi @Steve Freides ,

Not sure if you agree with me or if you pause out of me having to reread S&S and realign about 3 times before finally letting go of the need-to-achieve-numbers mentality :)
My non-native english skills fail me here, could you please elaborate what you mean?

thanks,

Claude

@ClaudeR, my reply wasn't directed at just you. Whatever you're doing, I'm sure it's fine. I was observing that the people who join our forum are those with a goal and the willingness to work to achieve that goal - but that most people, out there in the world, aren't like the people who join our forum. Most people seem to want an easy fix, and when they try S&S, they decide it requires too much commitment and too much work and then quit.

Hope that helps.

-S-

S&S is a jab-cross-left hook of movement, strength & conditioning. Practice your goblet squats, swings, and get-ups, get stronger, and you will know out most other guys who practice 1001 secret and deadly techniques.
I keep seeing people post about practicing the goblet squat with S&S. Is this something that is being added on. I am almost done reading the book and I only see goblet squats as a part of the warm up. Should I be using the same weight I am training with for the goblet squat warmup? Sorry still new to the site.

I am almost done reading the book and I only see goblet squats as a part of the warm up. Should I be using the same weight I am training with for the goblet squat warmup?

You're right, it's just in the warm-up... but the warm-up is quite trans formative in itself. Highly recommended to do it as prescribed, three full times through. Pavel has advised in the past that if you practice the kettlebell arm bar, that can substitute for the halo. And you'll know if/when you get to the point where the StrongFirst hip bridge is still necessary. If in doubt, keep doing it.

As for the goblet squat weight -- yes, work up to using your swing weight. What I usually do is work up in the warm-up sets based on how I feel. The goblet squat is a mobility exercise for the hips but also a warm-up for the muscles of the legs (plus lats, hip flexors, back... everything... but especially the glutes and quads). When loaded heavier, it will build strength in these muscles, too. But you don't want to fatigue yourself prior the swings. It's a warm-up.

If my swing weight is 24kg, I might do my first set of goblet squats with 16kg, second and third sets with 24kg. Or if I need more mobility, 2nd set with 16kg and pry and stretch a bit more, and third set only with 24kg.

You're right, it's just in the warm-up... but the warm-up is quite trans formative in itself. Highly recommended to do it as prescribed, three full times through. Pavel has advised in the past that if you practice the kettlebell arm bar, that can substitute for the halo. And you'll know if/when you get to the point where the StrongFirst hip bridge is still necessary. If in doubt, keep doing it.

As for the goblet squat weight -- yes, work up to using your swing weight. What I usually do is work up in the warm-up sets based on how I feel. The goblet squat is a mobility exercise for the hips but also a warm-up for the muscles of the legs (plus lats, hip flexors, back... everything... but especially the glutes and quads). When loaded heavier, it will build strength in these muscles, too. But you don't want to fatigue yourself prior the swings. It's a warm-up.

If my swing weight is 24kg, I might do my first set of goblet squats with 16kg, second and third sets with 24kg. Or if I need more mobility, 2nd set with 16kg and pry and stretch a bit more, and third set only with 24kg.
Thank you for the clarity Anna C.

Anna, youre such a great resource for advice on S&S

All of the above...
And if you have the means, get your form checked by an SFG.
Unless you are 100% confident on your understanding and ability to use the correct form on both exercises you could ingrain a lot of bad habits, that at best, may be difficult to deprogramme. And at worst be harmful.

Unable to see an SFG? Then post a video here.

Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
Agreed 100%. I thought I knew what I was doing. Especially because Pavel has such good descriptions in the book. Met with an SFG just to get form checked. Gave me some good pointers. It was great. I highly recommend if there is one nearby.

@ClaudeR, my reply wasn't directed at just you. Whatever you're doing, I'm sure it's fine. I was observing that the people who join our forum are those with a goal and the willingness to work to achieve that goal - but that most people, out there in the world, aren't like the people who join our forum. Most people seem to want an easy fix, and when they try S&S, they decide it requires too much commitment and too much work and then quit.

Hope that helps.

-S-

What percentage of people, do you suppose, that begin SS, complete Simple? Solid? Sinister? What percentage of people end up here? Forum people are a certain type, I find.

What percentage of people, do you suppose, that begin SS, complete Simple? Solid? Sinister? What percentage of people end up here? Forum people are a certain type, I find.

Good questions. Here's my guess based on what I see from various sources....

Of 100 people who "begin S&S":
  • 15 are doing it in a structured setting like a StrongFirst gym
    • 11 of these just do swings and get-ups and progress somewhat, then move on
    • 4 get to Simple
      • 0 to 1 get to Sinister
  • 15 have hired a coach/SFG and train with them regularly
    • 10 of these progress somewhat, then move on
    • 4-5 of them get to Simple. If they get to Sinister, it's probably as part of the bottom group.
  • 70 have bought the book and or are just going by what they've heard the program is, and doing it on their own. 10-15 of those might find their way to this forum.
    • 55 make some progress, then move on or lose interest
    • 15 get to Simple
      • 2 go further, to "Solid" (40kg)
      • 1 to Sinister

Good questions. Here's my guess based on what I see from various sources....

Of 100 people who "begin S&S":
  • 15 are doing it in a structured setting like a StrongFirst gym
    • 11 of these just do swings and get-ups and progress somewhat, then move on
    • 4 get to Simple
      • 0 to 1 get to Sinister
  • 15 have hired a coach/SFG and train with them regularly
    • 10 of these progress somewhat, then move on
    • 4-5 of them get to Simple. If they get to Sinister, it's probably as part of the bottom group.
  • 70 have bought the book and or are just going by what they've heard the program is, and doing it on their own. 10-15 of those might find their way to this forum.
    • 55 make some progress, then move on or lose interest
    • 15 get to Simple
      • 2 go further, to "Solid" (40kg)
      • 1 to Sinister

Going off the short list of The Sinisters, 1% might be high estimate.

10-15 of those might find their way to this forum.
Given that this is the forum, we all want to know your guesstimate about how those 10-15 compare with people who _don't_ find their way to the forum.

-S-

I fall into the last of @Anna C category, "bought the book and did it on my my own", and into the "found the forum" subcategory. Later on I asked an SFG for help. I have reached Simple and moved on.

Given that this is the forum, we all want to know your guesstimate about how those 10-15 compare with people who _don't_ find their way to the forum.

About this, I do know that before finding the forum I was doing many things wrong, with technique and with the understanding of the program. I seriously doubt I would have stayed with the program for 2 years injury-free and reached Simple if it wasnt for the forum.

Going off the short list of The Sinisters, 1% might be high estimate.

Could be, yes. I see 53 Sinisters currently on the list, and of course there are probably close to that many more that accomplished it but didn't send in a video for review to be listed. So if 100 people have got to Sinister, out of 10,000 people who have done the program, that might be about right.

I would think it definitely helps! Questions answered, form checked, tips and tricks, movivation, seeing other succeed as they persevere... all benefits of being here on the forum.

So I might guess that 5 of the 15 make it to Simple. All 15 of them COULD make it to Simple... but some lose interest, never test themselves, get distracted by other programs... we see it all ;)

Honestly I don't know of anyone on the forum who isn't an SFG has made it to Sinister. 38 of the 53 on the list have instructor profiles, and I don't recognize any of the others as forum people.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom