all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Conditioning for time under tension

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
EDIT: time under the bar in the last set was 57s, 53s squatting. Last five reps or so went slower.

That is a pretty quick tempo for 100kg - nice start!

How much time are you giving yourself between sets?

For recovery I've been experimenting with moving the muscles furthest from the working groups with intention of using their capacity. The working muscles are already cleaning house as fast as they can.

Eg. if working upper body I'll bounce on my toes, if working legs I'll pump my upper arms and clench/unclench my fists. As rudimentary as it sounds this seems to really help as opposed to shaking out my entire body between efforts.

That is a pretty quick tempo for 100kg - nice start!

How much time are you giving yourself between sets?

For recovery I've been experimenting with moving the muscles furthest from the working groups with intention of using their capacity. The working muscles are already cleaning house as fast as they can.

Eg. if working upper body I'll bounce on my toes, if working legs I'll pump my upper arms and clench/unclench my fists. As rudimentary as it sounds this seems to really help as opposed to shaking out my entire body between efforts.

Yes, the tempo was alright. I don't think I'd like to go faster with any weight. I try to get a good single breath between each rep, which slows me a bit. And the last six reps or so required extra effort and breathing and thus time.

I don't know how long the rests were. I had a friend doing the same practice in the same rack, and we had to change the plates and adjust the hook height between sets. And I think we rested some more as well. Neither of us was in a hurry to get under the bar again. I think it was something like 5-10 minutes. But there was a clear difference between how awful I felt after the first sets and the last one.

As for your recovery tip you mean between the sets? That sounds like a good idea. I typically do some walking and some easy mobility exercises like shoulder/elbow/hand/hip circles and the like.

With your idea, have you tried to do some actual exercise? Like biceps curls between squats?

With your idea, have you tried to do some actual exercise? Like biceps curls between squats?

I've considered that, but maybe not practical. Once you start turning over lactate in the muscle you drop the recovery reserve way down. You want the blood to be drawn there but not at the expense of added metabolites.

Again, I'm not 100% sure this is helpful, but I find I have to consciously take a break between sets now or I'll just roll right into the next lift. The exception are when I do jumping squats or jumping Good Mornings. I fact I get better recovery if I stand still with the sandbag on my shoulders for a five or ten count before setting it back down. I'll actually get light-headed if I drop the weight immediately finishing the last rep.

I have checked out Buteyko but I'm not sure what makes it stand out. There are many ways to breathe.
Buteyko does not teach you how to breath. It's about learning how to adapt yourself to take in less air for the health benefits associated with doing that. You learn to adapt to having a higher blood CO2 level which, in turn, lets your body making better use of the oxygen already in your blood stream. From the Wiki on the Bohr Effect,

"The Bohr effect is a physiological phenomenon first described in 1904 by the Danish physiologist Christian Bohr, stating that hemoglobin's oxygen binding affinity (see Oxygen–haemoglobin dissociation curve) is inversely related both to acidity and to the concentration of carbon dioxide.[1] Since carbon dioxide reacts with water to form carbonic acid, an increase in CO2results in a decrease in blood pH,[2] resulting in hemoglobin proteins releasing their load of oxygen."

Some people report increased athletic performance, but that is not the focus - it is a health-focused practice, and we attribute any improvement in athletic performance to improved recovery and relaxation, not to anything specific about how to breath during exercise.

-S-

If anyone is interested in how my experience with the 20-rep squats and the like develops, check out my training log in the members only -section. I had a very interesting session today and was about to post here about it, but thought best not to clutter the forum and keep two identical training logs.

I will now take my traditional place as "The Demander of Evidence".

Those of you who are positing maladaptive left ventricular hypertrophy resulting from resistance training:

This is a serious charge that requires evidence.

Kenneth Jay's book is not evidence. It is Kenneth Jay's book. He makes claims in his book and cites evidence that quite literally says exactly the opposite of what he claims it says. I know, because I tracked down every reference he cites on his website.

There is no, none, ZERO evidence that resistance training results in maladaptive left ventricular hypertrophy. There is plenty of evidence that resistance training creates the same beneficial adaptations - notably stroke volume and left ventricular ejection fraction - as endurance training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom