all posts post new thread

Kettlebell conditioning "repeats"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

shinch

Level 5 Valued Member
I just read an article today from gearpatrol.com of an interview of Pavel. In it he mentions a form of glycolytic training of using kettlebell quick lifts for all out sets of 15-25 and repeating 3 to 5 times with 5min active rest periods betweene each set.
This sounds pretty amazing. Is there a book or another resource that this type of training is talked about?

In my last go round with Geoff Neupert's KB Muscle I did something similar. The first phase of this program has you doing complexes of 15-25 reps (mostly ballistic exercises), but with shorter rest periods that get compressed over the course of the program. I wanted to do it with bells that were a little too heavy to use with the specified rest periods, so I decided to try it with longer rests (5 minutes).

I can't say exactly how this affected my results, but it did allow me to do the program with heavier bells, and subjectively I enjoyed the way it felt doing it this way.

So I just did my first "repeats" with double jerks.
I warmed up with 5 min of super slow squat thrusts, and I followed that up with 5*1 Tgu.

Then I got into the "repeats" I did 3 sets of 15 reps and during my 5 min active rest periods i did skipping in place and light shadow boxing.
I feel fantastic! I'm not sure if this is what Pavel had in mind. But this is an awesome training high.

Shinch, read the "Long Rests" blog.

We just finished testing several protocols built along these guidelines with great results on all fronts—performance and body composition. More to follow.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom