all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Conditioning vs. Endurance

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I would say endurance is a muscle quality and conditioning is the ability to survive (or excel in) an activity that severely taxes multiple physical abilities from strength and endurance to cardiorespiratory fitness to aerobic ability to flexibility to bone density and neural connections.

I think someone already said this, but probably worth another plug even if it has - 'conditioning' and 'endurance' are kinda worthless terms without a context (GPP and SPP are similarly worthless without a context). Conditioning for what? Endurance for what?
What type of scenario would make the term 'general' worthless?

What type of scenario would make the term 'general' worthless?
Any term becomes worthless where the language fails to convey the intended meaning to the recipient. It can be redeemed by spending as much time as necessary to establish an agreed upon definition, but even then that is conversation dependent and would have to be reestablished before having another conversation about the topic, unless it is with the same individuals who are reentering the conversation remembering the previous framework.

That's my semantics for today.

Any term becomes worthless where the language fails to convey the intended meaning to the recipient. It can be redeemed by spending as much time as necessary to establish an agreed upon definition, but even then that is conversation dependent and would have to be reestablished before having another conversation about the topic, unless it is with the same individuals who are reentering the conversation remembering the previous framework.

That's my semantics for today.
We're getting into the weeds a little here, BUT as far as "GPP" goes, I get a little irritated when people say that everything is GPP. I mean, yeah, I guess kinda but not really. It's still preparedness for something, and what that something is matters... a lot.

"Conditioning" may or may not include "endurance". It depends on what the goal is.

We're getting into the weeds a little here, BUT as far as "GPP" goes, I get a little irritated when people say that everything is GPP. I mean, yeah, I guess kinda but not really. It's still preparedness for something, and what that something is matters... a lot.

"Conditioning" may or may not include "endurance". It depends on what the goal is.
I have not seen good explanations of GPP so I can't really comment. Anything from playing soccer and volleyball to sled pushes/pulls to kettlebell circuits... Everything that is "physical activity" seems to end up included in "GPP" as long as it is not the actual sport. So while I don't feel your irritation, I understand why you are.

i think last time i checked there were something like 39 definitions of "lactate threshold" on Pubmed. So I guess use your words carefully?

On that note, my sons hockey team finishes there practices with conditioning - that along with uptempo practices gives then enough "endurance" to skate hard and battle for a normal 3 x 15min period game - they are now into playoffs...well the semi final went 5 OTs of 8min each - so they got a bonus 40min of skating - im SURE they wish they had more endurance, without sacrificing their "conditioning" to able to skate REALLY hard for 40-50sec shifts.

tricky lingo for sure.

they won.

There is a continuum of usefulness for "GPP" in the context of any goal.
I agree. General means it will improve a broad spectrum of things and it only follows that how much it will help different tasks is going to vary - that's why it's general. If it was "specific" then we'd expect to be able to talk about what specifically it would or wouldn't help.

Is training for a 1rm squat GPP for a gamer?
I would argue "Yes" to your question because we know that getting stronger at a compound movement will have a lot of carryover, perhaps even as simply as allowing someone not to become as fatigued during a long "gaming" effort, or perhaps as simply as improving their confidence in themselves across the board based on their successful pursuit of a training goal, or perhaps improved body composition/appearance. The question I'm answering is, "Would the gaming performance of an _untrained_ gamer improve if he/she trained for an improved squat 1RM?" If the training program is intelligent then it would certainly help some people (I'd argue _most_ people) and do no harm to others.

I think GPP is a worthy pursuit for many people in many walks of life and on (or off) the path of many specific exercise or sports goals. When we speak of "exercise" as in, "I really should exercise more ..." we're speaking of GPP, exercise to simply make everything better.

I'll give a personal example. I am convinced that the addition of regular kettlebell swings to my training has improved my powerlifting results. Mostly, IMO, because it's increased my work capacity and allowed me to work harder at sport-specific powerlifting training, but also because it's specifically improved my grip and my core. I also believe the regular addition of an 044 schedule of swings has made me healthier on a deeper level than I can explain, see Q&D for more.

-S-

I agree. General means it will improve a broad spectrum of things and it only follows that how much it will help different tasks is going to vary - that's why it's general. If it was "specific" then we'd expect to be able to talk about what specifically it would or wouldn't help.
Well yes, but my point is that there's GPP that will help a given task and then there's GPP that, while it may indeed (for example) help your health, may or may not be beneficial for what you are training for. Again, a continuum of usefulness, the distinction between GPP and SPP is made in the context of a goal.
I would argue "Yes" to your question because we know that getting stronger at a compound movement will have a lot of carryover, perhaps even as simply as allowing someone not to become as fatigued during a long "gaming" effort, or perhaps as simply as improving their confidence in themselves across the board based on their successful pursuit of a training goal, or perhaps improved body composition/appearance. The question I'm answering is, "Would the gaming performance of an _untrained_ gamer improve if he/she trained for an improved squat 1RM?" If the training program is intelligent then it would certainly help some people (I'd argue _most_ people) and do no harm to others.
We could argue this for the sake of arguing, I guess, but if I was confronted with a gamer that wanted to improve his gaming (and presumably general health), then improving his squat 1rm would be really really low on the list of priorities UNLESS they were already so weak that getting out of a chair was a struggle.
I think GPP is a worthy pursuit for many people in many walks of life and on (or off) the path of many specific exercise or sports goals. When we speak of "exercise" as in, "I really should exercise more ..." we're speaking of GPP, exercise to simply make everything better.
Well, if we're using GPP interchangeably with "general strength/fitness/health", then yes. Again, I distinguish GPP as something at the top of an inverted pyramid with SPP at the point with a goal underlying the pyramid itself.
I'll give a personal example. I am convinced that the addition of regular kettlebell swings to my training has improved my powerlifting results. Mostly, IMO, because it's increased my work capacity and allowed me to work harder at sport-specific powerlifting training, but also because it's specifically improved my grip and my core. I also believe the regular addition of an 044 schedule of swings has made me healthier on a deeper level than I can explain, see Q&D for more.

-S-
Yes, I think anyone here would be in complete agreement that KB work is good GPP for PL. Absolutely.

Well yes, but my point is that there's GPP that will help a given task and then there's GPP that, while it may indeed (for example) help your health, may or may not be beneficial for what you are training for. Again, a continuum of usefulness, the distinction between GPP and SPP is made in the context of a goal.

We could argue this for the sake of arguing, I guess, but if I was confronted with a gamer that wanted to improve his gaming (and presumably general health), then improving his squat 1rm would be really really low on the list of priorities UNLESS they were already so weak that getting out of a chair was a struggle.

Well, if we're using GPP interchangeably with "general strength/fitness/health", then yes. Again, I distinguish GPP as something at the top of an inverted pyramid with SPP at the point with a goal underlying the pyramid itself.

Yes, I think anyone here would be in complete agreement that KB work is good GPP for PL. Absolutely.
I think the choice of gamer was an interesting one. If we work with the stereotype of a human connected to a computer in a Matrix-esque way it is somewhat analogous to meditation.
Yoga is built on the principle that a strong and flexible body would allow its owner to sit and meditate for extended periods of time. In this way yoga practice is therefore GPP for sitting still.

Fortunately my son doesn't fit this mould and is far more animated during his time on his X-Box. Albeit he can make some rather annoying noises when playing with his friends.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom