all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Conditioning vs. Endurance

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

godofiron

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello,

When discussing training programs, are the terms conditioning and endurance synonymous?

Thank you

Reactions: 5x5
No. Usually, people talk of "strength and conditioning", which would imply that "conditioning" is everything between "strength" and pure skill work. Things like recovery ability, repeated efforts, anaerobic endurance, strength endurance, tolerance for lactic acid, sprints, potentially sports specific movements bordering on drills...

Hello,

When discussing training programs, are the terms conditioning and endurance synonymous?

Thank you
A good question. In my admittedly feeble mind, conditioning suggests being able to do something that takes more strength or skill or both than just endurance. Endurance means things like running, cycling, swimming, walking. You work on your endurance in order to run a marathon but you work on your conditioning to perform better in the military or law enforcement - that's how it seems to me.

-S-

I would say endurance is a subset of conditioning.
When people refer to endurance events they would normally mean longer distances and durations. These athletes are conditioned to these requirements.
Whereas, for example, an amateur boxer is conditioned for a shorter time frame.

I think they’re definitely different, but intertwined and can’t really be separated. An increase in conditioning is being able to perform more work in the same time or being able to perform the same work in less time. Endurance is being able to maintain the work for a longer period of time.

For instance, improving your mile time from 7 minutes to 6 minutes is an improvement in conditioning. Being able to run 2 miles instead of only one is endurance.

I would say endurance is a subset of conditioning.
When people refer to endurance events they would normally mean longer distances and durations. These athletes are conditioned to these requirements.
Whereas, for example, an amateur boxer is conditioned for a shorter time frame.
This is generally my view of conditioning.

With general endurance/aerobic capacity work being used to create the base. Then periodise and tac on other elements of training as necessary.

I've found to my chagrin that conditioning is very sport-specific, but so is endurance, sadly.

Hello,

Thank you

Semantics. Endurance is the ability to bear pain, hardships, etc for extended periods; maybe above the average regardless of physical capabilities or conditioning. It matters little if it’s muscular endurance or an Ironman. It could be a matter of fiber makeup.

Conditioning is training to overcome odds or take a advantage of whatever your pursuit. Jmo

Last edited:
Conditioning, toning and aerobics are curse words... Use endurance, strength, stamina and toughness etc. instead.

Fascinating question.

I feel like most of my training is to endure, so I guess I am training for endurance, but I do get some conditioning from my training.

But, while I can endure quite a bit(which is partially just being too stupid to quit), I know that conditioning is not a strong suit.

Conditioning seems to be a term mainly used in technically more complex sports that aren't "pure endurance". Marathon runners may strength train, but usually won't refer to any of their running as "conditioning", regardless whether it's long jogs,tempo runs or intervals. For them, it's essentially skill work. On the other hand, boxers or wrestlers will refer to their running as conditioning, but will usually have other terms for mat or ring practice, or the use of sports-spefific equipment. Conversely, if a track runner like Allan Wells punched a speedbag, that was conditioning for him.

Endurance = aerobic endurance

Conditioning = sport or task specific ability

Overlap depends on the sport/task. For MMA, for example, conditioning might include aerobic endurance work as one means of development. But it might be measured by the ability to complete three to five rounds of mixed striking and wrestling and recover well.

For me conditioning is really the application of the traits you're training to the purpose your training them for.

Hello,

Thank you
Conditioning to me is improving a task-specific ability. For instance, conditioned to be in shape for a sport, conditioned to do something, etc. So conditioning for a sport like wrestling and conditioning for a sport like bobsled and conditioning for a sport like cross-country skiing are all different, but would require specific conditioning. E.g. you are conditioned to do task.

Endurance to me is actually more vague - we could be talking about doing more reps or we could be talking about more miles. In general I think of endurance as longer-duration aerobic activities, but a small part of me is also thinking "more reps."

Basically both are vague and meaningless unless you know what the person who is using them means. ROFL

Interesting!

A couple older articles that may be relevant to this discussion.:

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom