all posts post new thread

Barbell Conditioning with PTTP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JoshuaH86

Level 4 Valued Member
Hey everyone,
Apologies as I'm sure this has been covered many times before. I've just started a linear cycle, basic 2×5, utilizing sumo deads and standard bench. I'd like to throw in some conditioning so that I can keep my heart fit for the eventual cycle back to kettlebell. I was thinking of plugging in some rope skipping or sprints in the program a few times a week. Any thoughts?

Hey everyone,
Apologies as I'm sure this has been covered many times before. I've just started a linear cycle, basic 2×5, utilizing sumo deads and standard bench. I'd like to throw in some conditioning so that I can keep my heart fit for the eventual cycle back to kettlebell. I was thinking of plugging in some rope skipping or sprints in the program a few times a week. Any thoughts?
Theres a program I found a few years ago that combines PTTP with short crossfit workouts after, I'll look it up and post it for you.

Here you go

Hey everyone,
Sprints might interfere more with it. Pavel has recommended rope skipping alongside PTTP, I think in the FAQ of ETK.

And in ROTK he also recommends easy (!) endurance work (for recovery and base building) and flexibilty work (Yoga, Relax into Stretch) alongside grind blocks à la PTTP to keep an aerobic base and suppleness.

I am also very interested in pursuing conditioning while running PTTP, I'll definitely have to check back into this thread once I decide to do so. Best of luck to you OP, I'm running a cycle with conventional deadlift and standing barbell overhead press right now as well. If I implement any techniques I find to be successful in the near future, I'll be sure to let you know.

I'm sure walking, daily (light) KB Swings, rope skipping, and maybe some light (did I emphasize light?) sled work would be some avenues to explore. The entire point of the program is to make use of high frequency and low volume, so you're fresh for any other activities you need to partake in. I remember Pavel referencing his success in using the program with the Russian special forces, who were already food and sleep-deprived before they did their first workout.

If you don't think you have the gall of the Spetsnaz, you can also lengthen your cycles by decreasing the frequency of the workouts to 3x/week and do easy conditioning on the 2 weekdays you don't lift. A lot of your success is going to come from you playing around with the frequencies and intensities of your lifting. If you're doing conditioning, don't even think about running a linear cycle unless this is your first time picking up a barbell; plan in advance and use step or wave cycling for deadlift/press so you have fewer opportunities to miss reps.

One important thing; don't skimp on the food. Maximize your chances of success and eat clean foods in abundance, I've been doing the same for the last few weeks. We'll see how this goes!

Last edited:
Bauer I recall reading that in the FAQ in The Naked Warrior as well. I was curious if it applied to PTTP. In the past I didn't worry about it too much but I intend on following PTTP for a much longer period this time around.

And now that you mention it, yeah adding sprints seem like a big blunder haha.

Sprints are incredibly taxing on the nervous system, old-time strength athletes used to set up their squat racks on the track. They'd squat heavy and supplement their training with 400 meter dashes, eventually the day will come when I can either train in this manner. It is ridiculously effective, but doesn't jive with the training style of PTTP.

With all that being said, they are not compatible with PTTP.

Sprints are incredibly taxing on the nervous system, old-time strength athletes used to set up their squat racks on the track. They'd squat heavy and supplement their training with 400 meter dashes, eventually the day will come when I can either train in this manner. It is ridiculously effective, but doesn't jive with the training style of PTTP.

With all that being said, they are not compatible with PTTP.

Litvinovs are brutal.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom